What the best GPS for geocashing

booknooklars

I'm just gettin started and want to purchase a good GPS. What are your receommendations?

I recently purchased a Garmin Oregon 400t (Around $400 net - maybe more these days as some specials have expired - but time will bring the price down).

There are lots of others out there - but I recommend reading up on Paperless Geocaching and choose a model that has at a minimum the following 2 features: 1) High Sensitivity receiver/antenna and 2) Paperless Geocaching.

Feature #1 will give you good reception even in heavy tree cover and dense urban areas with lots of tall buildings. Very important to have when Geocaching. #2 will give you the ability to view logs, descriptions, and save field notes while out in the field without having extra devices to lug along with you (all in one - GPS does it all).

Granted - the paperless devices with high sensitivity will cost you more but you'll likely be satisfied with the device for much longer.

If you want to save the cash and go with a lower cost model just about any Garmin with an H in the model name will give you high sensitivity, and the GPSMAP 60CSx is the gold standard for accuracy (its High Sensitivity even though no H in the name).

Set a budget and post back and you'll get a more specific recommendation.

In addition there are lots of threads over in the GPS and Technology forum that discuss this topic. You might try running a search on that forum as well.

I second thats, since my purchace of the Oregon400t have had no real problems with it and with the new fireware found it to be very accurate even under heavy cover, lock on time is pretty much instant, able to hold 2000 Caches all paperless and tonnes of other features, you would be very happy with the unit, but that's just my opinon.

I have a PN-40 and have been very disappointed with its performance, when compared with my Garmin 60CSX. It simply doesn't keep a sat lock very well. Paperless feature is nice and I really like the new geocaching widget, which makes loading PQs a snap.

I use my PN40 for geocaching but I have to bring my 60CSX along too for when the PN-40 just can't cut it. I'm really thinking about going back to the 60CSX only and using Cachemate for the cache info, but my wife bought me the PN-40 as a gift and I really can't do that (at least when she's with me).

To the OP there are many great geocaching units. The best one is the one that has the features that you want.

I have a PN-40 and have been very disappointed with its performance, when compared with my Garmin 60CSX. It simply doesn't keep a sat lock very well. Paperless feature is nice and I really like the new geocaching widget, which makes loading PQs a snap.

I use my PN40 for geocaching but I have to bring my 60CSX along too for when the PN-40 just can't cut it. I'm really thinking about going back to the 60CSX only and using Cachemate for the cache info, but my wife bought me the PN-40 as a gift and I really can't do that (at least when she's with me).

To the OP there are many great geocaching units. The best one is the one that has the features that you want.

Briansnat,

I've seen you post numerous times that you're not happy with your PN-40s reception but are you doing anything about it? There are many happy PN-40 owners, including myself, that are not having any problems maintaining satellite lock while in tough conditions. I would continue to work with Delorme until you have a unit that you are satisfied with, whether that means a repaired unit or a new unit.

Briansnat,

I've seen you post numerous times that you're not happy with your PN-40s reception but are you doing anything about it? There are many happy PN-40 owners, including myself, that are not having any problems maintaining satellite lock while in tough conditions. I would continue to work with Delorme until you have a unit that you are satisfied with, whether that means a repaired unit or a new unit.

Not a lot I can do about it. I'm not an engineer at DeLorme. This is my 3rd unit and they've all had the same problem, so I don't see it as a lemon unit. If it is they have some serious QC issues at DeLorme. And every time I get a new unit I have to spend hours re-loading maps. I really don't want to go through that a 4th or 5th time. I should be able to get working unit by the 3rd try.

Edited by briansnat

Briansnat,

Not a lot I can do about it. I'm not an engineer at DeLorme. This is my 3rd unit and they've all had the same problem, so I don't see it as a lemon unit. If it is they have some serious QC issues at DeLorme. And every time I get a new unit I have to spend hours re-loading maps. I really don't want to go through that a 4th or 5th time. I should be able to get working unit by the 3rd try.

Quite odd since I just reloaded all my maps and it took less than a half hour (even with the aerial imagery I loaded). Also odd is that you posted old photos in another thread about reception issues...have you tried it since the updates? I never had a problem with reception, even before the updates....as many others have reported! It seems to me I remember you talking about the maps loading slowly before too and how many thought this wasn't right either (certainly not my experiences)...so maybe you are seeing a QC problem and are just extremely unlucky? I have checked my unit numerous times in various ways...always works perfectly!

I must say, glad to see I never have had a problem with my unit, sorry you're seeing your problems! BUT, there IS a lot you can do about it....if you want to! It sounds more like you don't want to (understandable, mind you). Being an engineer at DeLorme or not!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Briansnat,

Quite odd since I just reloaded all my maps and it took less than a half hour (even with the aerial imagery I loaded). Also odd is that you posted old photos in another thread about reception issues...have you tried it since the updates? I never had a problem with reception, even before the updates....as many others have reported! It seems to me I remember you talking about the maps loading slowly before too and how many thought this wasn't right either (certainly not my experiences)...so maybe you are seeing a QC problem and are just extremely unlucky? I have checked my unit numerous times in various ways...always works perfectly!

I must say, glad to see I never have had a problem with my unit, sorry you're seeing your problems! BUT, there IS a lot you can do about it....if you want to! It sounds more like you don't want to (understandable, mind you). Being an engineer at DeLorme or not!

I must admit I am also very happy with my Delorme and have never had sat lock problems and when I downloaded my maps it was a breeze! I'm a very happy Delorme user! I own the PN-20 and soon the PN-40 and I anticipate an even better product!