down loading details

Hi FOLKS

What is the best way to get all the details on to a gps, I have a VISTA HCX and i know than you download most of the info via a cable which I have been doing, just takes time .

do you have to make a note of any clues on paper or is there a better way

what are LOC FILES and can I use the with the gps

thanks

Have a look at "EasyGPS" a program which you can download for free. You can then build a pocket query and send 500 geocaches to your Gps unit, makes it very easy. On easygps you can also view the hints etc on the laptop.

If you want to go paperless you need a pda and you can download all the information instead of writing it down.

Search the forums, lots of advice on here, also read the resouces section on geocaching.com.

I have recently gone paperless with a reconditioned pda from ebay for £50 and I run memorymap on it, works like a dream.

Welcome to the forums, lots of useful stuff on here.

Edited by Yorkie30

Have a look at "EasyGPS" a program which you can download for free. You can then build a pocket query and send 500 geocaches to your Gps unit, makes it very easy. On easygps you can also view the hints etc on the laptop.

If you want to go paperless you need a pda and you can download all the information instead of writing it down.

Search the forums, lots of advice on here, also read the resouces section on geocaching.com.

I have recently gone paperless with a reconditioned pda from ebay for £50 and I run memorymap on it, works like a dream.

Welcome to the forums, lots of useful stuff on here.

A little bit of expermintation with the print function of Easy GPS can make you almost paper less caching fititng the relevaent details of allot of caches on one page.

If you have a phone tunning symbian you might find Smart GPX from SmartGPX.de will give you paperless caching even if you do not have a GPS in your phone.

Hope this helps.

At present there is only one tool worth considering and that is GSAK, and become a Premium member, and use the PQ facility that provides.

GSAK works on all flavours of Windows, and personally I have it also running on Linux, Solaris and Mac OS 10, but the Mac was a big hack that took a while to sort fully.

At present there is only one tool worth considering and that is GSAK, and become a Premium member, and use the PQ facility that provides.

That is a BIG statement to make, for a long time it was possibly the only tool available but Geocache Log is an alternative and as I have said it requires NO macros to be downloaded and run to carry out it's functions. Unfortunately everybody on here seems to be blinkered to any alternative to GSAK, I have licensed copies of both and find Geocache Log easier to use (in my opinion) and feel that new members should know of the alternatives rather than being bombarded with GSAK this and GSAK that.

Just a short list of what Geocache Log will do with no additional add ons:

MMap to PDA with lord Elph icons and linked text files, Text files to iPod notes, Caching stats whenever you want them, Garmin .csv files & OV2 files for sat navs and much much more.

And before anybody asks, NO I do not have any financial connection wit Geocache Log, I am just a very satisfied user.

That is a BIG statement to make, for a long time it was possibly the only tool available but Geocache Log is an alternative and as I have said it requires NO macros to be downloaded and run to carry out it's functions. Unfortunately everybody on here seems to be blinkered to any alternative to GSAK, I have licensed copies of both and find Geocache Log easier to use (in my opinion) and feel that new members should know of the alternatives rather than being bombarded with GSAK this and GSAK that.

MMap to PDA with lord Elph icons and linked text files, Text files to iPod notes, Caching stats whenever you want them, Garmin .csv files & OV2 files for sat navs and much much more.

And before anybody asks, NO I do not have any financial connection wit Geocache Log, I am just a very satisfied user.

I had a play with Geocache Log a while ago, and ressurrected it again last night.

Personally, although it will do all the things you mention, I found it unwieldy and not at all intuitive.

Perhaps I'm just too used to GSAK..?

And the ability to drag in a zipped GPX would help too.....

Hi FOLKS

What is the best way to get all the details on to a gps, I have a VISTA HCX and i know than you download most of the info via a cable which I have been doing, just takes time .

do you have to make a note of any clues on paper or is there a better way

what are LOC FILES and can I use the with the gps

thanks

If you pay the $30 to become a premium member you can create pocket queries which are automatically emailed to you - these can contain up to 500 caches.

Once you've got the GPX file in your mailbox there are a number of applications available to process it, but without the premium membership it's going to take longer to work through everything one cache at a time. That's just one of the benefits of stumping up the $30.

Eh! you can do all this without any Macro, and it only takes a litte setting up,

Memory Map to PDA

File > Export > Memory Map - and you can set this up to use whatever Icon set you wish, be that LE's or some other Or just press Ctrl + E

iPod text files

File > Export > CSV or TXT

Garmin Exports

Various ways to do this either to Mapsource or direct to GPS

TomTom OV2

File > Export > TomTom POI files or Ctrl + B

All done without a Macro ever being touched, but on the subject of Macro's, what is wrong with having that expandability? And there is now a repository of several hundred prewritten ones which require no setting up, this alone expands the use and function ality of GSAK miles ahead of anything that Geocache log is providing, Here is a Macro that I use, it's a one click button that updates my TomTom, writes a MemoryMap MMO file to my PDA, and sends caches to my GPS, can Geocache log do that?

You state no additional add ons, but you fail to point out that these add ons are 100% free, you add the ones which actually work for you, the ones that match your equipment, or match the way you cache.

Has Geocache log got the kind of help network and support like GSAK has?

Has it got the expandability of GSAK?

Does it use a fast and efficient database based on an SQL engine for scale and speed?

Is the user interface intuitive?

It really is not a piece of software for the newbie as they would get lost using it and would find having a limited user base that support would be poor, usually on the GSAK forums you can get a result in under an hour.

aafin, really take my advice and ignore Goocache Log, it really is a poor second cousin to GSAK

Edited by Moote

I too use GSAK, but it's on a Windows box which I only use for GSAK, so this thread prompted me to have another look around for a Linux solution (I know about WINE but don't want to go there). Anyway I found Geo-Qo which seems to be available for Windows too.

I've just installed it (on Linux) and have only spent 5 minutes playing with it so I can't comment on it's functionality yet, but it might be another option worth looking at. One thing that attracts me is that as well as a GUI it also has a command line interface - I can't be doing with all that clicky-clicky pictures stuff :laughing: .

I'm just hoping it will do everything I need so I'll never have to log onto Windows again, or at least until the missus/kids screw something up and I've got to fix it :D

IMHO GSAK is a very good tool, and was well worth the small amount of money it cost me to register but I think it's trying to be all things to all men, and cosequently does far far more than most people actually need.

I too use GSAK, but it's on a Windows box which I only use for GSAK, so this thread prompted me to have another look around for a Linux solution (I know about WINE but don't want to go there). Anyway I found Geo-Qo which seems to be available for Windows too.

I've just installed it (on Linux) and have only spent 5 minutes playing with it so I can't comment on it's functionality yet, but it might be another option worth looking at. One thing that attracts me is that as well as a GUI it also has a command line interface - I can't be doing with all that clicky-clicky pictures stuff :laughing: .

I'm just hoping it will do everything I need so I'll never have to log onto Windows again, or at least until the missus/kids screw something up and I've got to fix it :D

IMHO GSAK is a very good tool, and was well worth the small amount of money it cost me to register but I think it's trying to be all things to all men, and cosequently does far far more than most people actually need.

I have heard that there is a Geocaching program coming on the horizon which will also work cross platform. I don't want to say too much yet as I would not want to put the developer under too much pressure, but what I have seen of this, it looks interesting,

I have heard that there is a Geocaching program coming on the horizon which will also work cross platform. I don't want to say too much yet as I would not want to put the developer under too much pressure, but what I have seen of this, it looks interesting,

No harm posting the info, progress on the app is already out in the open through his blog and twitter feeds

Looks very interesting, especially in the intergration with open mapping, I may be looking at dumping my homebrew google mapping app for it.

No harm posting the info, progress on the app is already out in the open through his blog and twitter feeds

Looks very interesting, especially in the intergration with open mapping, I may be looking at dumping my homebrew google mapping app for it.

Sounds like it will be worth a look, particularly if it integrates with OSM.