Magellan GPS'r

redjada

Any opinions on this unit? I have been using an old Garmin Etrex (yellow). It works OK for caching. A friend gave me the Magellan to try out. He bought it for his dad to use while out on a sail boat on lake Erie. Well, it was never used. I know this isn't the best unit but just thought I would throw it out there and see what you think?

it will get the job done. I started with a 200. the main drawback once you really get into it is that you have to input all the coords by hand. But that's fine if you're only going after a few at a time. I eventually moved up to a 500 and I've been happily using that for several years now.

This is what I have. I'm not up on GPS units and am just borrowing this one from my brother because I'm just getting into geocaching. It worked for my first cache but I didn't put coords in or anything. I knew the area and just walked in the direction that took me toward the coords. So I'm not much help but it worked for me for my first cache!

I use an Explorist 400 that was a gift from my Dad. I have never input any information into it either by hand or as a download.

I look at the coordinates for the cache, then the coordinates on the display and determine which way I need to walk to get where I want to be. Personally, having the GPS tell me which way to walk takes away from the 'fun' of using your brain and the compass to figure out where GZ is.