Farthest Travel

No business, no family vacations, no visiting just farthest ever specifically to geo cache.

A couple of weeks ago, I went just over 300 miles from home to find caches in New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma...just to color those states "red". A week later, I went around 200 miles to get caches in Kansas and Nebraska. I am planning a 400 mile trip in a few weeks to get to the Four Corners virtual cache (I have a thing for virtuals at state corners!). After that, that's about as far as I plan to go in a single trip just for geo-caching.

Davesterx

No business, no family vacations, no visiting just farthest ever specifically to geo cache.

A couple of weeks ago, I went just over 300 miles from home to find caches in New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma...just to color those states "red". A week later, I went around 200 miles to get caches in Kansas and Nebraska. I am planning a 400 mile trip in a few weeks to get to the Four Corners virtual cache (I have a thing for virtuals at state corners!). After that, that's about as far as I plan to go in a single trip just for geo-caching.

Davesterx

Thanksgiving of 2008 Pkay and I went on a caching tour... 2232 miles in 8 days... 15 states :( it was a great time for us... lots of beautiful places we seen just be cause of the caches we found in unusual place. This Spring we went to Maui 4800 miles one way and yes it was for the cache :ph34r: We found 78 of the 90+ active on the Island We just wish we had more time to visit the other islands too...

We cant wait for our next selection... Thinking of flying Washington state then driving to California or Nevada then flying back home... No we are not rich the nine day run 115 states cost us 800.00 that included the fuel. the Hawaii was a bit more at 2500... stay away from the high rise condos you can find B&B for 80$ a night too... and rent a nice car for 280$ for the week lots of ways to cut corners and still have a great time..

Hope this helps someone by giving them an idea... and alot of fun too..

:(

Well back in the day (04). Jim and myself where sitting in one of our AM haunts (Java Oasis) having our morning brew, and I was on my laptop checking out local caches (At this point in time they where few and far between in the Yuma area)

Found one a hundred miles away, (a cherry) plus it had a Geo-Coin (This was also the starting of the coin thing) So after we finished our coffee and bull session, we took off for the mountains to capture this cache!

I was familiar with the area (this always helps).......we captured the cache with no problems, did hike / bushwack about .2 of a mile from the pavement (drove a 2x2) instead of the (4x4).....but then what's .2 of a mile on a nice day?...........April 30 2004, 200 miles round trip, a FTF, A Geo-Coin, ...check out the gallery pic's .....and some of the log's (#1 and #2)

I went to Nicaragua, 5265 km as the satellite flies, specifically because I wanted FTF on one lonely cache down there.

I wrapped a bit of vacation around the caching trip (since I was already down there), but I'm not sure I'd have gone to Nicaragua in the first place, if it hadn't been for that cache.

I didn't find it, but it was still a good trip. (Well, except for various distractions like: a fresh volcanic eruption, an earthquake while I was at the seashore, high winds when I had to fly in a small plane, and simmering civil unrest. So I came back early.)

PS: I also DNF'd another potential FTF down there, couldn't even get near a potential third FTF on a tiny island due to stormy weather, and had to settle for leaving Nicaragua with only one measly virtual pseudo-geocache thingy.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Specifically for one cache? 183 miles by air to the Project A.P.E. cache in Maryland. About 220 by road. Turned it into a week vacation. Probably close to a thousand miles by the time we got done.

Geocaching in general? Going for a long geocaching trip next month to color in states. About 1600 miles. Add another 900 miles for my sister to get here and back...