finds you didn't log

Yes, at least twice. Caching alone the first time, caching with someone else the next time. A few times I have recognized the cache as I approached, other times, because of different season or different approach, I didn't until I used GSAK to find and correct my duplicate logs.

Probably - but since I forgot, I really don't know.

I have cached at least 2 caches over the year's that suddenly got awfully familar as I got close and then I knew exactly where to look. So, I had somehow never logged them online and they showed up in my PQs again. Found my signature both times in the logbooks - both at least 2 years before. It happens.

Then I know of at least 2 others that I refused to log online because they were such glaring examples of guideline violations.

Yep. been there, forgot to log that.

One day while I was working, I did a quick parking lot micro during my lunch hour. About 6 months later I was headed back to the same area so I was looking for easy ones to grab during lunch when I notice the map has the 'cache' symbol instead of the 'found it' smiley. It took a few minutes to determine the original find date, but I did, then logged it as found.

Often times I aspire to the Thumper Principle: "If you can't say nuthin' nice, don't say nuthin' at all"

When I find a cache that appears to have been placed with no thought or effort, I spend the same amount of thought and effort logging them.

To date, there are probably a few dozen caches which I've located, but not "found".

The exception is when I cache with my wife. She likes the simple P&Gs as much as the rest, and she fusses at me to log them.

Contradictory, I know, but it works for me. :(

Often times I aspire to the Thumper Principle: "If you can't say nuthin' nice, don't say nuthin' at all"

When I find a cache that appears to have been placed with no thought or effort, I spend the same amount of thought and effort logging them.

To date, there are probably a few dozen caches which I've located, but not "found".

The exception is when I cache with my wife. She likes the simple P&Gs as much as the rest, and she fusses at me to log them.

Contradictory, I know, but it works for me. :(

Doesn't sound contradictory to me. Sounds like you are making your life a little easier by avoiding a disagreement.

yeah, that's what happened. i found 2 today. one was just a lamppost that i wouldn't have even tried for had i realized it, not a big deal. but another was a pill bottle basically just... well let me just stop right there, i don't want to give it away here, but just no imagination at all in my opinion, so i just didn't feel like logging it.

Several caches I've "found" have never been logged online, too many to count on my hands and toes. But never by myself alone, only while out group caching. (I do my own personal research while alone, and only go for the type of caches I like). I'm like "sign my name on that turd, but I probably won't log it". Gorsh, I'm such a snob. :(

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

We recently were planning a day of caching, and upon looking at the map, realized that we had failed to post an entire days worth of caching finds from many months ago. Not able to remember the date exactly, and knowing the location was a good 50 miles away, we decided to just go back out there again another day (still haven't managed to do so, however!) and find them again. If I recall, we had a lot going on that evening once we returned home, and just failed to log them.

yes, I have a stack of cache pages here near the computer. They are dated and I might get around to logging them someday. I get annoyed when the internet connection here is slow and "put them away for later." I signed the log in the cache, logging online just isn't that important. I log a few every now and then while waiting for other things. I did log all the caches I found this weekend.

Yes, at least twice. Caching alone the first time, caching with someone else the next time. A few times I have recognized the cache as I approached, other times, because of different season or different approach, I didn't until I used GSAK to find and correct my duplicate logs.

Actually, I guess my post was off-topic. Those were finds that I forgot that I found, not finds that I forgot to log. But yes, I've done that, too.

I quit logging all my finds a couple months ago. Only place a nice note of good caches, ignore most lame (LPC's).

No longer care about the numbers.

Nor the cache owners, apparently. I understand where you're coming from, but still, I cannot condone that sort of caching (not that you care, I'm sure). Not logging LPCs? In that case, why are you looking for LPCs in the first place? Select the caches you want to find, and log them in thanks to the cacher that took the time and money to hide them. Not logging is just plain selfish. Sorry.

I quit logging all my finds a couple months ago. Only place a nice note of good caches, ignore most lame (LPC's).

Nor the cache owners, apparently. I understand where you're coming from, but still, I cannot condone that sort of caching (not that you care, I'm sure). Not logging LPCs? In that case, why are you looking for LPCs in the first place? Select the caches you want to find, and log them in thanks to the cacher that took the time and money to hide them. Not logging is just plain selfish. Sorry.

Can't speak for him, but I've heard of folks logging finds with a note. Still providing feedback to the owner, but no longer provides others with an easy way to track, judge, or ridicule the finder with how or why they cache.

I log worthwhile finds with the proper "Found It" log-type. This helps me keep track of the finds I want to claim. The others I simply put on my ignore list.

But here's a question if you think not logging is selfish: at what point in the hunt does quitting said hunt become selfish on the part of the seeker as it relates to the cache owner? Remember, the hunt starts with the selection process and ends with logging. Where can I stop that hunt and it not be a selfish move on my part?

Can't speak for him, but I've heard of folks logging finds with a note. Still providing feedback to the owner, but no longer provides others with an easy way to track, judge, or ridicule the finder with how or why they cache.

I log worthwhile finds with the proper "Found It" log-type. This helps me keep track of the finds I want to claim. The others I simply put on my ignore list.

But here's a question if you think not logging is selfish: at what point in the hunt does quitting said hunt become selfish on the part of the seeker as it relates to the cache owner? Remember, the hunt starts with the selection process and ends with logging. Where can I stop that hunt and it not be a selfish move on my part?

I've been considering the possibility of no longer logging finds myself. If I do go that route I plan to log with a note. I think it only fair to give the CO a log commensurate with the level of the cache. At least a thanks for the cache and however many lines I am inspired to type from there.

The question you pose is interesting. If the cache is so bad that it warrants a needs maintenance log or a needs archived log the question is easily answered, at least in my mind. If it is merely uninspired and I just can't bring myself to complete the task of finding it I suppose that it doesn't deserve a thank you as I am not thankful for it. Yet it isn't in need of attention or in violation of the guidelines so those log types don't apply. I'm going to have to think some more on this. Thank you for pointing out an angle that I hadn't considered.

Select the caches you want to find, and log them in thanks to the cacher that took the time and money to hide them.

In (somewhat of a), defense of Tequila's tactics, your recommended method is the one I employ to optimize my caching pleasure. PQs are my friend. :( However, even with the prodigious use of PQs, there are still occassions when I come across a cache that, in my highly biased opinion, is a real stinker. An absolute void of creativity and effort. These are the ones I won't bother logging. As for the rest? My logs are typically so wordy I have to utilize a character counter to keep from going over the 4000 character limt.

I do it all the time. I think I logged 15 with a note yesterday. (Not LPC's either) I don't collect smileys but that is not why I log with a note.

If I log them as a find when my kids aren't with me (or parts of the team are missing) then it vanished from our PQ (unless I want to download all caches and not just the caches that we haven't found).

I could use another name, but it just seems like too much work. Then that account wouldn't be premium and yada yada yada.

It all goes back to the desire for geocaching.com to come up with some sort of family type account. Oh well.

anyone have any finds they didn't log for whatever reason, such as you thought it was kind of a lame hide, or you just plain forgot or something?

The person who hypnotized introduced me to geocaching a couple of months ago (has it really only been 2 months??) has been caching for a few years and has never logged a single find online. I have no idea how many he's found. Neither does he.

We forget all the time. Many times we've driven up to a cache site and realized right where we already found the cache before.

Normally it's blamed on me for missing the log, but it's entirely possible that someone else didn't mark it on our list.

When you find over a hundred in a day, and it takes weeks to get them logged, it can happen.

You didn't read my post correctly. Not sure you read it at all.

I clearly stated I don't find LPC's. I ignore them.

And I place notes instead of Found. I doubt most CO's care whether they get a find or a note.

So inspite of your sarcasm about my not caring, I do care. That is why I don't find LPC's anymore. And if you care to look at my hides, you will notice that almost all of them are significant challenges and the logs reflect that.

One that I can think of. I was on a road trip and found a cache along the way. Marked it as found on my 60CSX, then deleted the caches on the unit when I arrived home. Apparently when you do that you also delete the caches from the calendar. The cache was pretty unremarkable so I couldn't pin down which one it was.

Other than that one I think I've logged them all. I figure that the owner spent the time to place it, so letting him know I found it is the least I can do.

Edited by briansnat

I was recently in the mountains for a day and made a PQ along the route but I forgot to check the "Not on my ignore list" option and found one placed by a local cacher I really dislike, his caches are lame and uninspired. When I realized, I just deleted from my PDA and never logged it on the site.