Mountain biking where i am not meant to?

Bikes are only ok on byways, roads and bridlepaths. Footpaths and 'not footpaths' -sounds like tresspass?- are meant only for walkers. Pushing the bike on a footpath is ok though.

sorry its my rubbish use of english lol. I meant paths which are not listed as bridleways i.e footpaths :( . lol thanks for helping me clear it up wouldn't want to get into trouble

Pushing the bike on a footpath is ok though.

Are you sure?

There was a big issue on one of the mtb forums a couple of years ago - the upshot of which was, in civil cases, even though you're pushing a bike you're still a cyclist... although I very much doubt anybody would prosecute.

(ie - if you were pushing a bike on a footpath across a field, the land owner could legally evict you from the land and prosecute for any damages)

It hinged on balance of proof - it would be too onerous to prove you weren't riding the bike 1 minute before - and wouldn't again 1 minute after.

Compare it to pushing a car on a restricted byway - or leading a horse on a footpath..????

Edited by keehotee
Pushing the bike on a footpath is ok though.
...Compare it to pushing a car on a restricted byway - or leading a horse on a footpath..????
Without a person on it, a bicycle exerts less pressure per square cm than feet do, so arguably it's likely to do less damage than walking on a footpath. This isn't true of a 1600Kg car (1700Kg with driver) or a 600Kg (700Kg with rider) horse. I guess you could always carry the bike, or have a folding mountain bike you pop in a bag and no one would be any the wiser... :(
Compare it to pushing a car on a restricted byway - or leading a horse on a footpath..????

I was confronted by a horse and rider on a very narrow and clearly signposted footpath a couple of years or so ago. I had to back into the bushes to let her pass. When I politely pointed out that she shouldn't be riding a horse on the aforementioned footpath I was treated to a whole load of bad language, the polite version of which was that it was her effing land and she would ride her effing horse wherever and when ever she effing well felt like it.

Does being the landowner entitle you to ignore the restrictions of any public RoW that crosses your land?

Edited by Pharisee

I was confronted by a horse and rider on a very narrow and clearly signposted footpath a couple of years or so ago. I had to back into the bushes to let her pass. When I politely pointed out that she shouldn't be riding a horse on the aforementioned footpath I was treated to a whole load of bad language, the polite version of which was that it was her effing land and she would ride her effing horse wherever and when ever she effing well felt like it.

Does being the landowner entitle you to ignore the restrictions of any public RoW that crosses your land?

On some local footpaths near me there are signs posted by the local council, these warn that riding of horses is a trespass against the landowner. The notice appears to read that you may ride along the footpath with the landowners permission, but you would still be liable for any damage caused to the path. So even a landowner riding thier own horse would be liable for damage on thier own land. Remember a landowner has a duty to maintain the footpaths over thier land and not to block or prevent there use.

I would expect the same applies to mountain bikes too.

Yes, it does.

Your land - you can do pretty much whatever you want to do - except block the lawful passage of other users - which is almost what she seems to have been doing.....

Edited by keehotee

Back to the cycling issue:

I cycle and walk quite frequently in the new forest and other places, I have found that I prefare push bikes (and prefare to cycle) off the allowed cycle paths.

People:

1) are normaly more courteous,

2) dont quitely race up on you expecting you to move at the last minute,

3) are normaly real bikers having a laugh covered in mud, not on a daily work out,

In the forest I have had less complaints for cycling of the allowed cycle tracks (which are only small circles you have to cycle to on the road), than I have had on the footpaths. I am sure my comments will not go down well with all here, personnaly I have no problems with push bikes off cycle tracks. Provided they follow points 1 & 2 above.

I cycle and walk quite frequently in the new forest and other places, I have found that I prefare push bikes (and prefare to cycle) off the allowed cycle paths.

People:

3) are normaly real bikers having a laugh covered in mud, not on a daily work out,

In the forest I have had less complaints for cycling of the allowed cycle tracks (which are only small circles you have to cycle to on the road), than I have had on the footpaths. I am sure my comments will not go down well with all here, personnaly I have no problems with push bikes off cycle tracks. Provided they follow points 1 & 2 above.

People:

Be very very careful.

I think I'm correct in saying that as the National Parks were set up under an act of parliament (the National Parks Act), were you caught riding in one on anything other than an authorised route, you'd be committing a criminal - rather than a civil - offence.

Can anyone closer to the Forest shed any more light on this?

It is against the local byelaws to ride off the designated cycle paths within the new forest national park. Breaking these byelaws can attract a fine of up to £500.

http://www.newforest.gov.uk/index.cfm?arti...mp;mediaid=8324

link is to the cycle code for the national park.

Please also be aware that landowners, national park members, forestry commission administrators etc all look at these forums.....

Edited by nobby.nobbs

One of the more emotive subjects on most cycling / Mtb forums I inhabit .....

Bikes on footpaths threads illicit nearly as many responses as the Compulsory Helmet or Jumping Red light ones....

but if you need more info take at Cheeky Trails

And YES,, if the ROW crosses your land you are quite entitled to ride your Horse, Bike , Motor Cycle etc on, indeed one of my MTB acquaintances takes great pleasure when any one starts on him at riding down a particular footapth at the side of one his fields, ... he waits till the rant is over then quite calmly says words along the lines " I think you'll find that I have more right to be here than you, after all not only do I OWN the land but I also MAINTAIN the path you are allowed to walk along " .. usually results in a silence followed by a shuffle away