blackberry

Are there any applications or ways to use a blackberry for geocaching? Just bought one and was wondering.

Thanks.

Cacheberry is a great app that stores the whole cache listing, hints decrypted and it also works as a compass for your bb's internal gps. It accepts .gpx files. Great app I have been using it since the initial beta test and it gets better with every update. The beta version gives you 30 days to try and the full licenced is only about 20 with free updates forever.

There is also a beta Wherigo player for the bb and cellphones called openwig. Works ok but a lil glitchy but it's free and still in development

I downloaded both BlackStar and CacheBerry. CacheBerry wins hands down! I registered it and has been a lifesafer more than once. Really helpful to have the last logs, hints and cache listings offline when you are in cellphone "deathzones". The ability to log finds using field notes is also a lifesaver when you do a geocaching run and don't remember precisely the find order, specially when in the mountains far away from cell phone/data coverage.

I've been using Blackstar for the last couple months on my Curve, and with it and gsak to process the PQ's before I import them, things couldn't have been better. Blackstar will show the last 5 logs, hint, etc, as long as they are contained within the gpx file you're importing.

Of course, the battery life kinda sucks on the blackberry when using the gps on it, but you win some, you lose some. :unsure:

None of these applications works with the onboard GPS Verizon Wireless, correct? I think I have installed them all at least once, and I think I got timeouts when I tried to use the native chipset to get a signal.

Both work however you cna not use the GPS functionality with VZW.

Cacheberry wins hands down. Since I am a VZW customer, I only use it to keep my database in the field, hints , logs, description, hopwever now that I have the Colorado, it may see less use since the laptop is always in the vehicle.

None of these applications works with the onboard GPS Verizon Wireless, correct? I think I have installed them all at least once, and I think I got timeouts when I tried to use the native chipset to get a signal.

It's not that they don't work, it's that Verizon has crippled the GPS functionality on their blackberries to only work with their approved programs.

It's not that they don't work, it's that Verizon has crippled the GPS functionality on their blackberries to only work with their approved programs.

Which would mean that they don't work.

Works with the GPS on the blackberry storm. I too have tried both Blackstar and Cacheberry. Cacheberry does everything and does it better than Blackstar for just a small price. Never tried Geocache Navigator from Trimble because of the monthly fee thing! Frig that!

If you have the Blackberry Storm on verizon I recommend cacheberry.