Montreal caching trip

hurleyanne

Hello! I will be in Montreal at the end of June for several days and I'm wondering if there are any 'must do' caches out there. I've tried spotting some bookmark lists, but haven't seen any yet. I've searched the forum here and found some good areas to cache in (Bois de Liesse, woods on L'isle de bizard), but would be appreciative of any recommendations you might have to offer.

Things to know:

- I'll be staying at a friend's place (on the plateau de Montreal, unless he's housesitting)

- I'll be limited to mass transit

- I like natural areas, and don't mind a little physical exertion (I'm not in the best shape, but I don't let that scare me!)

- I have a passing knowledge of French (puzzle caches in French might be out of my league without a good online translation)

- I'll be staying at a friend's place (on the plateau de Montreal, unless he's housesitting)

- I'll be limited to mass transit

- I like natural areas, and don't mind a little physical exertion (I'm not in the best shape, but I don't let that scare me!)

- I have a passing knowledge of French (puzzle caches in French might be out of my league without a good online translation)

I lived many years in Montreal and I still miss how good the mass transit is there compared to everywhere else I've lived. Don't worry, not having a car won't limit you much... finding parking often takes longer than taking the subway.

If you like natural areas, I suggest visiting the mountain (Mont Royal)...

GC1C3YX is an example of cache in that area if you want to center a PQ there. There is also a Stargate cache up there, not many of those around!

Ile Ste-Hélène and Ile Notre-Dame are nice also, and Old Montreal is on the way there.

I can't really suggest specific caches but those areas are nice to visit on foot and have lots of traditional caches, which certainly doesn't hurt :P

Finally, even if your French is not perfect, try to use at least a few words when talking to local people. Tourists who make the effort get instant bonus points pretty much anywhere in Quebec :D

I cached my way tourist style throughout Montreal during Grey Cup weekend, limiting myself to ones that google maps showed was within a KM or so of metro stations. I'd recommend getting a 3 day tourist pass for that.

Recommended areas with many caches are Parc Maissoneuve (near Olympic Stadium), and Jarry Park.

I was very hesitant to do any sort of multi, not knowing whether or not I'd be hit with a lot of French at a future stage, but GCWJQK (Baron Rutherford of Nelson) is an Anglo friedly urban multi if you want to break the run of traditionals. GC16H9F (Vi3w PoinT), by the Drapeau metro stop, was likely my favourite of the whole trip. Simple cache - great view!

Feel free to drop me a line.

I have lived here a year and haven't really had any "oompf" to go caching. Maybe with a partner it might get my butt off the couch to get get some.

Oh, and I have one of those hard to park four wheeled things as well.

Edited by Bzzliteyr