NUVI 500 file management question

I have been using my NUVI500 for about 6 months and it has been working great until just recently. I use GSAK and create a .gpx file that I have been copying into the GPX folder on the unit. The problem is that I have deleted the old file and loaded the new one, but the old data is still coming up in the geocaching menu and the new data is not showing up. I have updated the firmware and rest the unit using the hidden key in the lower right. I even removed the memory card I had installed. I have no idea where the file that has this data in it resides and how I get rid of it.

On a similar note I have not been able to delete geocaches once I have found them. They seem to stay in the unit forever and I cannot get rid of them.

Do you have any idea what is going on with this unit?

Are you using a MAC?

If so, check the trash and empty it.

If not, delete all GPX files and restart. If you still have items showing, try a hard reset.

Not using a MAC.

I have deleted all GPX files

How do you do a hard reset? Is this the hidden button in the lower right at start up?

I believe touch the screen in the lower right and then turn on. Wait for the clear message.

Is your firmware up to date?

Yep the firmware is up to date. I even deleted the GPX folder and then reloaded it. When I loaded the GPX folder it went through the initialization sequence and built a new empty folder, but the old data was still in the unit. There must be a file that the .gpx data is loaded to and then the unit uses the internal memory to acess the data. It is strange when all the .gpx files are deleted I still have geocach data resident on the unit.

I have reset the unit using the lower right hidden buton, deleted all user data and unplugged the battery for 12 hours. For some reason I can not get rid of the old .gpx data. There has got to be a way to clear out that internal memory so that it can lad new data.

Are these waypoints or Geocaches?

Waypoints are stored in internal (hidden) memory and must be deleted from the unit.

Are there GPX files anywhere else on the unit or on an SD card?

I am loading them as a gpx file into the GPX floder, so I assume that they are waypoints. The interesting thing is that they did show up in my favorites file today as waypoints and not geocaches. The icons were correct, but there was no GPS data associated with them. I am thinking that I may have a problem in the download from geocaching.com or in GSAK

The interesting thing is that I still have all of my old geocaches loaded even though I have deleted the file in the GPX folder.

If they load as Waypoint (favorites), then you MUST delete them on the unit AND delete the GPX file.

To become a "Geocache", the waypoint needs to have a "Groundspeak ID" in the file.

I think I found out how to fix the issue based on something I heard last night on a different forum. Someone mentioned that when they deleted the archive folder the NUVI built a new folder. Last night I deleted the GPX folder and all of the old caches went away. When I disconnected the NUVI and started it again it built a new GPX folder and to my amazement all my old caches were gone. There must have been a hidden file or something in that folder that retains the cache info. Or it is just magic! What ever happened I don't care because it seems to work. Thanks for your help.

If they load as Waypoint (favorites), then you MUST delete them on the unit AND delete the GPX file.

To become a "Geocache", the waypoint needs to have a "Groundspeak ID" in the file.

I think I found out how to fix the issue based on something I heard last night on a different forum. Someone mentioned that when they deleted the archive folder the NUVI built a new folder. Last night I deleted the GPX folder and all of the old caches went away. When I disconnected the NUVI and started it again it built a new GPX folder and to my amazement all my old caches were gone. There must have been a hidden file or something in that folder that retains the cache info. Or it is just magic! What ever happened I don't care because it seems to work. Thanks for your help.

I thought I had it fixed, but I was wrong! The situation is this. When you erase the GPX folder in the Nuvi it deletes all of the geocaches or at least it makes them invisable. As soon as you create a new GPX folder all of the old geocaches that must be stored in memory come back to view. The unit must be storeing this data in some other file. Now I need to find that folder and clear out that file. If you have any ideas let me know.

I am having the same issue and it is bugging me bad, please let me know if you make any progress on this.

Thanks,

Mike

I thought I had it fixed, but I was wrong! The situation is this. When you erase the GPX folder in the Nuvi it deletes all of the geocaches or at least it makes them invisable. As soon as you create a new GPX folder all of the old geocaches that must be stored in memory come back to view. The unit must be storeing this data in some other file. Now I need to find that folder and clear out that file. If you have any ideas let me know.

I am having the same issue and it is bugging me bad, please let me know if you make any progress on this.

Thanks,

Mike

PC or Mac?

Here is the way I do it.

Hook Nuvi 500 to computer and let the puter recognize it as a new drive. You will see the green line moving on the Nuvi

Go to "My Computer" on your computer and look for the Nuvi drive and open it.

Look the a folder called "Garmin" and open it. You will see another folder "Archive" and files "current.gpx", "geocaches.gpx", and "position.gpx".

Delete those 3 files and then open the "Archive" folder where you will delete the ".gpx" file in it.

Now close everything up as all the files are gone.

Now open up GSAK and do whatever you want to do with the listings like delete the archived and those that haven't been found in the last 4 logs.

In GSAK go to "GPS" and drop the menu to setup. Select "Garmin" and then further down select the "Nuvi 500" and check "OK".

Now go back to GPS and select "send waypoints".

You are now finished. No need to fool with a POI loader or any macro.

Juast remember that you have to change the settings in the "GPS" dropdown menu before you load your hand held unit.

Edited by Trav'lin Two

I have been using my NUVI500 for about 6 months and it has been working great until just recently. I use GSAK and create a .gpx file that I have been copying into the GPX folder on the unit. The problem is that I have deleted the old file and loaded the new one, but the old data is still coming up in the geocaching menu and the new data is not showing up. I have updated the firmware and rest the unit using the hidden key in the lower right. I even removed the memory card I had installed. I have no idea where the file that has this data in it resides and how I get rid of it.

On a similar note I have not been able to delete geocaches once I have found them. They seem to stay in the unit forever and I cannot get rid of them.

Do you have any idea what is going on with this unit?

Normal...is this a NUVI 500?

Do you use the NUVI macro? either one?

If you use GSAK and the NUVI macro the data gets put into the POI folder not the GPX folder.

I have never been able to change the stuff in the GPX folder myself...and I am not concerned about that. You need to Google paperless and NUVI macro... for more information. I use the pilotsnipes version.

Edited by alohabra