Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
sbmrail

VX-8R Geocaching use?

After getting to play with one a few weeks ago. I broke down and ordered on today with the GPS addon is there anyone that is using this radio for finding geocaches? I am currently using my BackBerry with GeoCache Navagitor works well. Granted I know the VX-8R cant do maps so thats a bit of a turn off but if you could plug in the GPS location could the radio take you there??

My main use for this radio will be APRS while working SAG and Rest stops in Bike / Race Events. But wanted to see if I could use it for other things as well...

Thanks for the feed back.

Its great to see so many geohams on here doing this!!! :laughing:

Mike

KC8APT (Got mine at 15 in Saginaw, MI)

Bloomington , IN

Mike, while I own the VX-8R, I don't have the GPS module for it (yet!).

However, from what I remember from the owner's manual, I don't think there is any way to enter a position and "goto" it. It just reports your current position for APRS use. I'm thinking it would just be a software issue, since all the hardware to do it is already there. Maybe if enough people suggest it to Yaesu they will add it.

That has to be the one thing this radio can't do besides open the beer can! I just got mine yeasterday there is so much stuff packed into that radio but the TX/RX is as good as my IC-W32A that I have had for 6+ years!!!

I do have the GPS module and Mic interface it picks up the sats very fast even inside a apartment 10 feet from the windows!

Edited by sbmrail

That has to be the one thing this radio can't do besides open the beer can! I just got mine yeasterday there is so much stuff packed into that radio but the TX/RX is as good as my IC-W32A that I have had for 6+ years!!!

I do have the GPS module and Mic interface it picks up the sats very fast even inside a apartment 10 feet from the windows!

I used the crappy stock antenna the other day to open a cold one :P