How many downloaded caches does the DeLorme PN-40 hold?

Actually they are the kind of the same, so the answer you looking for is 1000. They are combined with each other. In other words, the total of waypoints and geocaches combined can't exceed 1000. For example, 800 geocaches and 200 waypoints and it is full.

OK, that makes sense...I just figured the cache info included above and beyond the actual waypoint would take up more memory, so maybe 1000 wasn't right.

I've been downloading like crazy today, don't know what to expect when I get too many in there (if it'll just start dumping the first loaded, not accepting new ones, if it'll notify me it's full somehow, etc.).

Thanks

James

Actually they are the kind of the same, so the answer you looking for is 1000. They are combined with each other. In other words, the total of waypoints and geocaches combined can't exceed 1000. For example, 800 geocaches and 200 waypoints and it is full.

OK, that makes sense...I just figured the cache info included above and beyond the actual waypoint would take up more memory, so maybe 1000 wasn't right.

I've been downloading like crazy today, don't know what to expect when I get too many in there (if it'll just start dumping the first loaded, not accepting new ones, if it'll notify me it's full somehow, etc.).

Thanks

James

The big difference now with the latest FW update and Topo8 is a waypoint identified as a geocache can contain up to 15,000 characters.

It is worthy to note for future reference of future PN owners, you do need to have a Premium geocaching account to take advantage of the 15,000 characters.

I'm not a pn-40 owner but in using my explorist i can only use files with no more than 150 caches,but i can have as many files as i can fit on my sd card.I would imagine that it may be a simular situation with the pn 40(having access to to much info at once can slow things down).

I'm not a pn-40 owner but in using my explorist i can only use files with no more than 150 caches,but i can have as many files as i can fit on my sd card.I would imagine that it may be a simular situation with the pn 40(having access to to much info at once can slow things down).

No, having multiple files of waypoints is not possible with the PN yet although it is a loud and clear request to DeLorme.

For 1000 waypoints with that much info, I haven't seen a degradation in performance.

I've had a combination of 950 (left room for field additions) geocaches and benchmarks, with the full "up to 15,000 character" descriptions. Haven't hit a memory the limit yet, if there is one. BUT - I do have the PN-40SE with 8GB internal memory, with (typically) more than 2 or 3 GB internal memory free. I also normally have another 8GB SD in it with more maps & aerials (but I doubt caches or waypoints could go there...).

I've had a combination of 950 (left room for field additions) geocaches and benchmarks, with the full "up to 15,000 character" descriptions. Haven't hit a memory the limit yet, if there is one. BUT - I do have the PN-40SE with 8GB internal memory, with (typically) more than 2 or 3 GB internal memory free. I also normally have another 8GB SD in it with more maps & aerials (but I doubt caches or waypoints could go there...).

Currently they go into the internal memory only and do not effect the memory space set aside for your extra map files. There is no management what-so-ever for waypoints beyond this. You can't maintain multiple waypoint files, you can't have it on an external card, you can't go beyond 1000 waypoints/geocaches combined.

After having worked with a Magellan Meridian Patinum, I had thought this would be a serious limitation. For my purposes, it isn't, but it would be nice to have. I used to keep a separate POI file for customers and a separate POI file for family. I've since developed work arounds on my car navigation GPS.

The increase to 15K characters on the waypoints had me somewhat concerned about the performance hit, but it doesn't effect this. The data isn't displayed until it is needed which means it isn't loaded until it is needed. You get the waypoint with the cache name on the display which is nothing in comparison. Depending on the 3rd party tool you use, you can change that to be the GC number instead.

Edited by TotemLake