MapSource unable to save GPX

I recently upgraded my copy of Garmin MapSource to 6.15.6. Since then, I can almost never save data that I download from my GPSr as a GPX. MapSource crashes when I try. My GPSr is an etrex Venture HC.

I have contacted Garmin. They had me send them a GDB that I couldn't convert and save. They don't have any trouble with it. At their request, I upgraded my other PC - no good - now I don't have any "working" copy of MapSource at all.

I can download and save as GDBs all day long. These downloaded and saved GDBs fail to save as GPX. If I open a GPX, I have no trouble re-saving it.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

My limited test confirmed my hunch. If you first save a file as a GDB then try to save the same file as a GPX it will crash Mapsource. However, if you only save as a GPX, no crash.

Red90, please see if you can confirm my results. To the OP, thanks for the heads up.

Turns out it's the waypoints, not the tracks.

- Open a tracklog with waypoints in Mapsource 6.15.6.

- Save that as a GDB

- Open that file in Mapsource 6.15.6

- Delete the tracks and save as a GPX, it'll crash

- Open again and delete the waypoints, then save as a GPX, it won't crash.

Who'd thunk?!?!?

Edited by MtnHermit

The ultimate torture test.

The entire TransCanada Trail Database. Over 6000 separate track logs and God knows how many points. It took 3 minutes to save the GPX file. No crash. You guys have some other influence. I'm on XP Pro. What about you guys?

mapsourcetest.jpg

Edited by Red90

NOT STARTING A CONVERSATION

Worldwide there seems to be a misunderstanding what is a waypoint.

A track is a sequence of waypoints, a trackpoint differs only because of the prefix in the gpsmade file

trkpt vs wpt

In this case we should talk about problems with a waypoint.gpx/gdb file or a track.gpx/gdb file

The reply from Garmin:

Thanks for the message. We received word from the MapSource engineers

that this will be fixed for the next MapSource version release. I'm not

exactly sure when that will be, but I would check back here

periodically:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Thank you again for your interest in Garmin GPS.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/

Best regards,

Loy

mailto:cartography@garmin.com

Thanks for taking time to look into this. I'm glad that Garmin is admitting there is a problem, at least to someone. Unfortunately, even skipping the "save as gdb" step doesn't help me. It still crashes.

I would be happy to share a a gdb that causes a problem on my system, but I have nowhere to upload it to. My ISP recently changed their personal web page policies and they no longer provide ftp access. Web pages must be created/modified online using their tools. I can upload videos and music but nothing else.

I found version 6.15.4 of MapSource on CNet. If that doesn't help me, where I can find a different version?

- Save that as a GDB

Who'd thunk?!?!?

I followed these steps to the letter.

It still did NOT crash. Seriously.

- Save that as a GDB

Who'd thunk?!?!?

No crash here either. I even tried GDB Version 3 & V2 to see if it made a difference, it didn't. I'm running Vista Business.

I recently upgraded my copy of Garmin MapSource to 6.15.6. Since then, I can almost never save data that I download from my GPSr as a GPX. MapSource crashes when I try. My GPSr is an etrex Venture HC.

I have contacted Garmin. They had me send them a GDB that I couldn't convert and save. They don't have any trouble with it. At their request, I upgraded my other PC - no good - now I don't have any "working" copy of MapSource at all.

I can download and save as GDBs all day long. These downloaded and saved GDBs fail to save as GPX. If I open a GPX, I have no trouble re-saving it.

I have the exact same problem with 6.15.6 which is loaded on two different computers. Neither will save as a gpx file, either from a virgin download from my 76CSx or by calling up a gdb and trying to resave as a gpx file. I also contacted Garmin and sent them a gdb which they had no problem saving as a gpx. I reported this problem on this forum several months ago via a friend because I was having problems accessing this forum.

I have this problem with 6.15.6 too. I can't get it to save tracks from my Garmin etrex summit in gpx format, everything else seems to work okay. Is there any work around (e.g. using Google Earth or something like that)?

I am also unable to convert GDB files to GPX once they have been saved. If I save the file as GPX initially then I am ok. It is frustrating because I had planned out several routes for a recent bike trip and I could not load them as GDB files to my Edge 705, I had to redo all the routes and save them as GPX in order to load them.

Glad I found this thread as I am having the same problem, on a PC with vista -home installed I can not save to GPX files or convert a GBD file to GPS as in both cases mapsource crashes. Version 6.15.6 of mapsource.

However I have no problems on a Windows XP machine with the same version of mapsource.

Can anyone else confirm if they are having this issue on Vista and not XP ?

Glad I found this thread as I am having the same problem, on a PC with vista -home installed I can not save to GPX files or convert a GBD file to GPS as in both cases mapsource crashes. Version 6.15.6 of mapsource.

However I have no problems on a Windows XP machine with the same version of mapsource.

I have two machines with Windows XP (Professional and Home Edition) and cannot save GPX files with either. I also am using version 6.15.6.

- Save that as a GDB

Who'd thunk?!?!?

I couldn't make it crash either. There's something else going on. The waypoints have altitude or depth set, it doesn't matter...

I have two machines with Windows XP (Professional and Home Edition) and cannot save GPX files with either. I also am using version 6.15.6.

I have found that if you select No Map from View/Switch to Product that I can save in GPX format.

I have found that if you select No Map from View/Switch to Product that I can save in GPX format.

I tried your procedure, but alas, it did not work for me. I still cannot save GPS in MapSource 6.15.6.

I tried your procedure, but alas, it did not work for me. I still cannot save GPS in MapSource 6.15.6.

Oops, typo. I meant GPX, of course.

Not exactly sure what you're doing?

I opened a gdb in Mapsource 6.15.6 and selected View > Hide GPS Map Detail, the map disappeared, but some map POI's remained. I then tried to save the track as a gpx, Mapsource crashed.

Please be very specific in the steps you used.

Do you need to buy Mapsource as I have a Oregon 400t, all I have is map update 2008 for my Nuvi 350 and no mapsource software on CD. I would like to add some of the maps of the southeast on my Oregon 400t.
Did your 400T come with a CD? If so, Mapsource is on that CD.

If not, download Training Center? and install, then download the latest version of MS and install over TC. Free!!!

Not exactly sure what you're doing?

I opened a gdb in Mapsource 6.15.6 and selected View > Hide GPS Map Detail, the map disappeared, but some map POI's remained. I then tried to save the track as a gpx, Mapsource crashed.

Please be very specific in the steps you used.

I have Mapsource 6.15.6.

From View I have an option called Switch to Product.

From Switch to Product I have an option called No Map.

With No Map selected I am able to Save As in gpx format without producing a crash.

I have Mapsource 6.15.6.

From View I have an option called Switch to Product.

From Switch to Product I have an option called No Map.

With No Map selected I am able to Save As in gpx format without producing a crash.

Works exactly as you describe: No map -- No Crash, with map -- Crash!!!

Thanks

Now I wonder if Red90 can duplicate these results? Are you listening Mr 1990 Red Land Crusher?

I installed new version of Mapsource on my laptop and consistantly crashed when trying to save as GPX, but not opening a gpx file. Generally I was trying to save tracks from my GPS as gpx files. It would crash. So I tried creating a waypoint with mapsource and trying to save that as a GPX and it would crash. I went back to an older version and it now works fine.

I crash consistently when saving as GPX regardless of waypoints (unhandled Win32 exception)

• Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
  • Mapsource 6.15.6
  • TopoCanada v2

I also tried Windows XP compatability mode, no joy

The NoMap trick worked once for me, and then once I had done that successfully I could go back to TopoCanada and save. But now I can't reproduce, back to crashing.

When I debug with Visual Studio 2008 it says "Unhandled exception, access violation reading location 0x00000000" so there's an uninitialized NULL pointer. I speculate that some action or option before saving GPX is the reason it works for some and not others.

I discovered this workaround and it seems repeatable:

• Start MapSource (regardless of which map loaded)
  • File / open any GDB file
  • File / open any GPX file
  • File / open the GDB file again
  • File / save as GPX works ok
  • Any subsequent save as GPX in the session works ok so whatever uninitialized variable is at fault is touched by simply loading any GPX

Good to see you Red90, now I know the rest of the story ;-`) Where did you find the Trans Canada Trail tracks?

Use GPSBable to convert GDB to GPX

Yes I know, but it's a pain when you're doing a lot of trimming and editing and saving. I'll do a dozen or more in a session. I would rather not have any GDB files, just the industry-standard ones.

My suggestion looks complicated but it's really not, open, open, and then start load/edit/save over and over again without concern of this crash.

Edited by gadzuk

I'm of course having the exact same problem. ever since April I have been unable to save a .gpx without mapsource crashing. I can save when I need using EasyGPS, but I liked using Mapsource so I could more easily edit the tracks when I could see it overlaid on a map (to make it easy to post to Google Earth for example). It is frustrating that this seems to be a major issue, yet it hasn't been addresses, fixed, and the buggy version is still available for everyone. I tried uninstalling and then running the install for an older version, yet when Mapsource opens it is still 6.15.6

I'm of course having the exact same problem. ever since April I have been unable to save a .gpx without mapsource crashing.

Agree, frustrating that they would leave this for so long. Vista?

Try this workaround:

•Start MapSource (regardless of which map loaded)

•File / open any GDB file

•File / open any GPX file

•File / open the GDB file again

•File / save as GPX works ok

I'm of course having the exact same problem. ever since April I have been unable to save a .gpx without mapsource crashing.

Try this workaround:

I'm still slightly confused. If I open a GDB file and it remains open while I open a GPX file, how do I open the GDB a second time?

Try this workaround:

I'm still slightly confused. If I open a GDB file and it remains open while I open a GPX file, how do I open the GDB a second time?

Try this workaround:

I should have tried it before opening my big mouth. I forgot that MapSource closes the open file when you open a second file. Anyhow, YOUR TIP WORKED!!! You are correct in that loading a gpx initializes something in the program that is missing when it opens on certain computer. Thanks so much for this tip.