Garmin eTrex Venture HC GPS vs. eTrex H Handheld

Apologies if this question has already been answered, which I'm sure it has; forum search appears to be down. (And the link in the FAQ to Sputkin57's Garmin FAQ is busted, btw.)

We're debating between the eTrex H and dropping $30 to upgrade to the Venture HC. I'm unclear from the Amazon reviews about what exactly we'd gain with the Venture. Does anyone have experience with both? What do you think?

We're new to geocaching but had no trouble using a borrowed H and a compass to find a few caches in the woods recently. If the Venture would help with back country hiking, we would be jazzed.

Thanks in advance!

That link indicates the Venture HC does not support Custom POIs, but it's unit upgrade to 2.50 indicates that it does. So, if it does, that is a desirable feature because you can customized waypoints with programs such as the much lauded GSAK. There are macros that enable you to download an entire cache webpage into the models supporting custom POI's.

If you think you're only going to be caching sporadically, and don't mind entering waypoints by hand, then the Etrex H is all you need. The performance level of the two units is the same; it's only in the features that they differ.

Thanks for that link, Red! Very useful.

Chuy, I suspect we'll be obsessively into geocaching through the summer and then forget all about it. We're like that.

I got confused by the "upgrade to 2.50" bit; couldn't find any mention of upgrade. But POI does sound sortof useful. Can you help me figure out what you mean?

Thanks both of you for your help!

I got confused by the "upgrade to 2.50" bit; couldn't find any mention of upgrade. But POI does sound sortof useful. Can you help me figure out what you mean?

Thanks both of you for your help!

The upgrade thing is a software issue. You can do that online after you purchase the unit.

I think you need a unit that accepts a memory card to do the points of interest thing. It isn't all that useful for caching and, if you have a unit with a geocache function, it won't treat POI's as geocaches and, thus, you wouldn't be able to read the note from the compass page while searching for a cache.

Given the choice between the two units you mentioned, without question, I would purchase the Venture HCx. It is easier to use and has more functions. Also, if you are going to cache with the unit, you will want to be able to connect the unit to your computer. The Venture HCx comes with a USB cable. The eTrexH requires a seperate, serial cable and to use it, you might need to get a USB adapter unless your computer has a serial port that will accept it. You can currently buy a Venture HCx for about $110 from Amazon or about $130 from OffRoute. There also are other options for purchasing online.

Get the Venture HCx! (unless you think you need an electronic compass/altimeter, in which case get the Summit HCx.)

I think you need a unit that accepts a memory card to do the points of interest thing. It isn't all that useful for caching and, if you have a unit with a geocache function, it won't treat POI's as geocaches and, thus, you wouldn't be able to read the note from the compass page while searching for a cache.

Having the webpage available on your handheld GPS is not useful?!

Kirs&Alex, the downside for you is you need to be a premium member to create pocket queries, which is a batch of 500 waypoints; then have a program such as GSAK reconfigure the waypoints by putting about 44 characters in the title and 88 in the description/comment section of each waypoint. GSAK has about 60 different data parameters that can be placed in either the title or description. Data such as cache name; cache owner; last four attempts; hint; coords; cache size, type, etc... Here is a brief waypoint v POI comparison. And then there are numerous macros. I use the first one on the list for my Vista HCx; it essentially downloads a cache webpage (including log entries) onto the GPS. One of the best things is that POIs take up surprisingly minimal memory space. The 21,000 POIs in my Vista right now take up only 4.7 mb of space.

It's true customized POIs don't have the geocaching funtionality; however, so long as you don't exceed the max waypoint limit, you can convert a POI to a waypoint and gain the geocaching funtionality in an instant - and still have the POI if you need to view it.

To elaborate some more on the POI's. Their funtionality are not limited to geocaching. There are numerous sites offering POI's for all sorts of things. I have all the Starbucks in the US downloaded as POIs. Yes, you can find them in the regular points of interest. However, as often as I seek out a Starbucks, the customized POIs allows me to view them on my GPS map with a customized icon at an instance so that I don't have to go searching for it through the Menu-Find-Food-Menu-Find by Name, etc... The POI Factory has an extensive selection. I got the Starbucks from GPS Passion.

You can create you own POI using EasyGPS (freeware) or Garmin's own MapSource. However, you have to create them individually and save the file as a gpx. You will need Garmin's POI Loader (freeware) to upload the file. You can also download csv files which are managed with Excel.

I'm unclear from the Amazon reviews about what exactly we'd gain with the Venture.

Cut & paste from my Venture HC page, but this is what you'll lose by dropping down to the eTrex H:

...the monochrome Garmin eTrex H cannot accept maps and, unlike other eTrex units, doesn't come with a cable for transferring data between the GPS and your computer. It also lacks the click-stick of the other H-series models, making for a less user-friendly interface.

I definitely recommend the Venture HC.

One additional thought. If you buy the Venture HC, go to the Garmin site and look for the Legend C. It is a discontinued model that is functionally equivalent to the Venture, but without the high sensitivity receiver. Download a copy of the users manual for the Legend C. It contains a lot more useful information than the manual that comes with the newer model.