A Deleted Log

I enjoy a good wholesome forum scrap as much as the next chap, but I'm just feeling bad about this one. I'm sorry that Scubasonic is being ganged up on, but I'm also sorry that this seems to be exactly what he wanted. I thought he was asking an honest question in his original post, but sadly it's clear now that he had another agenda.

I don't think that he had another agenda, at all.
  • He posted his issue in a completely appropriate way.
  • The thread was moving along nice and peaceful like until posts 18 and 19 when a few of us decided to inject our own personal biases into it.
  • Other posters attempted to keep the thread on track, but soon it was completely derailed by the 'pile oners'.
  • He made the argument that his way of caching is just as valid as theirs.
  • He attempted to argue that those that the two camps can't really understand each other's position and highlighted the position differences by comparing his stats to kit fox's. He never stated that his method was better or that he was a better anything than kit fox.
  • Many of the rumblers inferred that the OP thought that he was better than kit fox, even though he never stated this.
  • The thread continued to spiral downward due to the many preconceptions, personal biases, misunderstandings, and piling on.

Several posters should apologize for how they've handled themselves in this thread, but it will never happen.

"Having another agenda" generally means that getting an answer to the original question was not really the main reason for the post. In response #6 we begin to see that from the OP. What he really wants is to call out the person who deleted his log and tell us what HE would have done. The first several responses were actually supportive of his stance but as soon as people started siding with the cache owner he feels the need to defend his practices and dismissing any other point of view. Again, this shows that his "agenda" was not really getting others' opinions, as he stated initially. And to say that he wasn't claiming to be "a better anything" than KitFox is almost too funny to respond to. He was clearly implying that his high numbers makes him a better judge of what makes an appropriate log, and that anyone with a low find count "wouldn't understand", which is as insulting as it is wrong.

Edited by hukilaulau
I enjoy a good wholesome forum scrap as much as the next chap, but I'm just feeling bad about this one. I'm sorry that Scubasonic is being ganged up on, but I'm also sorry that this seems to be exactly what he wanted. I thought he was asking an honest question in his original post, but sadly it's clear now that he had another agenda.
I don't think that he had another agenda, at all.
  • He posted his issue in a completely appropriate way.
  • The thread was moving along nice and peaceful like until posts 18 and 19 when a few of us decided to inject our own personal biases into it.
  • Other posters attempted to keep the thread on track, but soon it was completely derailed by the 'pile oners'.
  • He made the argument that his way of caching is just as valid as theirs.
  • He attempted to argue that those that the two camps can't really understand each other's position and highlighted the position differences by comparing his stats to kit fox's. He never stated that his method was better or that he was a better anything than kit fox.
  • Many of the rumblers inferred that the OP thought that he was better than kit fox, even though he never stated this.
  • The thread continued to spiral downward due to the many preconceptions, personal biases, misunderstandings, and piling on.

Several posters should apologize for how they've handled themselves in this thread, but it will never happen.

"Having another agenda" generally means that getting an answer to the original question was not really the main reason for the post. In response #6 we begin to see that from the OP. What he really wants is to call out the person who deleted his log and tell us what HE would have done. The first several responses were actually supportive of his stance but as soon as people started siding with the cache owner he feels the need to defend his practices and dismissing any other point of view. Again, this shows that his "agenda" was not really getting others' opinions, as he stated initially. And to say that he wasn't claiming to be "a better anything" than KitFox is almost too funny to respond to. He was clearly implying that his high numbers makes him a better judge of what makes an appropriate log, and that anyone with a low find count "wouldn't understand", which is as insulting as it is wrong.
I think that you are reading things into those posts that simply aren't there.

Kit,

Well yes I do Cut and Paste logs when I have days where I get 30 + in one day, is there anything wrong with that? I would not exspect you to understand since your first find was in May of 04' and you have only 1477 finds, I have only been finding caches since Jun 16 of 08 and have over 2500 so far and have not even reached my anniversary of my first year caching.

Scubasonic

While you obviously have every right to log your finds using cut & paste, and I also support your right to be a "numbers cacher" if that's what you enjoy, 30+ finds in a day, while quite an accomplishment, is not that no excuse for sloppy logging habits. I've done many more than that and had something unique to say about all of them.

A local cacher, Bobcam has averaged 55.3 caches / day so far this year and logged over 2,000 his first year. Read some of his logs. No cut & paste there, either.

Cut & paste logs can come across as an insult to the cache owner (or at any rate, I sure take them that way) If you can't take the time to personally thank them for giving you something to get your numbers with, then maybe you are doing something wrong.

That said, if your original post is giving us the whole story (which I'm skeptical about, but what do I know?) then the cache owner was, in my opinion, wrong to delete your log without her recovering the log and checking for your signature. Since she could not recover the log, she has no way of knowing if you were claiming a bogus find.

Edited by knowschad
You people need EDUCATING! It is EASY to find geocaces in 6 or 8 states...IN ONE DAY! All you have to do is own your own Lazy Boy Jet Recliner!

Well, in the northeast where I live, it's possible. I don't want to say it's common, but I've seen people come here on business and grab all 6 New England states in one day and sometimes New York and New Jersey too.

I've had people contact me and ask for suggestions on the best/most efficient route to take to accomplish it. All you need is a cache or two in each state at a rest stop or at a gas station when filling up. May not be the most scenic trip, but it's possible.

Edited by Skippermark

Not that losing 1 log is going to kill me, I was just curious as to what other cachers thoughts are on the matter.

Maybe you could go back out and find it for her? :laughing:

I think this is the answer if you want the happiest outcome. If you found it you found it. People move caches and owners can't always find their own (and are handicappe since they know where it's supposed to be as opposed to where it really is).

Edited: Should not have posted what I'd posted, I just think it's horrid of people to think people don't know what they're doing, simply based on their number of caches found.

More on topic, I've done more than 20 caches in a day, and all I have to do is look at the cache description and I remember everything about the cache.

(and I'm one of those people that pause in the middle of a sentance because I've forgotten a word!)

I also copy paste when I do many caches in one day, writing a detailed one for the ones that I have something to say about. I see nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Geba_le

Wow... I found the topic interesting, until scubasonic bashed kit for their number of finds.

I just lost all respect for you. I don't care if you go on cliff sides everyday and fight rabid muggles for your caches. Get over yourself.

You know what? Last summer I got all my finds with nothing but my dad's gps he got for FREE (that took me two weeks to figure out how to program, and I have to type the coordinates in using nothing but a 4 arrow button) and an old notebook I wrote all the information down about each cache that I wanted to go after. And I got almost 100. And I did most of them on my bike.

So, like I said, Get Over Yourself.

Wow. Let me respond to this post as I respond to one of my wife's hormonally induced diatribes:

There, there. It will be OK.

Well yes I do Cut and Paste logs when I have days where I get 30 + in one day, is there anything wrong with that?

yes.

it's cheesy. nobody but you is impressed with your impressive find count getting in the way of writing a decent log.

I also copy paste when I do many caches in one day, writing a detailed one for the ones that I have something to say about. I see nothing wrong with that.

In reality, there isn't anything wrong with being a copy/paste bandit, if that's what you enjoy doing.

It's a remarkably efficient method for letting a cache owner know that his cache meant nothing to you but another mindless smiley.

No matter how much effort, money and creativity went into the placement, your copy/paste log lumps it right in there with the film cans in the Burger King shrubbery.

If that's your thing, have at it.

In reality, there isn't anything wrong with being a copy/paste bandit, if that's what you enjoy doing.

It's a remarkably efficient method for letting a cache owner know that his cache meant nothing to you but another mindless smiley.

No matter how much effort, money and creativity went into the placement, your copy/paste log lumps it right in there with the film cans in the Burger King shrubbery.

If that's your thing, have at it.

If Geba_le is writing a more detailed log for those caches that "I have something to say about." perhaps the others really don't mean any more than that added smiley. Does it matter if a cacher types TFTC or cut and pastes it? If that is all the cache deserves in a log then that is what it gets.

I see it more a question of choices. If you are logging a lot of caches with a cut and paste log perhaps you need to rethink the type of caches you are looking for. Perhaps you would get more fun out of the game if you concentrated on finding the type of cache that inspires you to write more than TFTC.

I wonder how many owners of P&Gs and LPCs actually expect more than a TFTC type log? They must be aware that the caches are as cut and paste as the logs they receive. The cut and paste logs that detail the finders day are probably among the longest, most detailed and interesting logs they get on those caches.

Just a couple of random thoughts that came to mind. Off to pour another cup of eye opener.

Regarding cut-and-paste laogs, I think that it would serve us well to remember that we all have different definitions of 'awesome'. Just because a specific cache inspires one person to write a unique log doesn't mean that another person doesn't think it deserves a 'TFTC'.

An LPC may inspire some people in this thread to write a long custom log, while many others would not give the log very much effort. The same goes for every single cache. The 'lamest' cache in the world will inspire a few people to write a long custom find log. The 'best' cache in teh world will inspire most people to write custom logs, but not all people. That's OK.

I'm much more concerned that so many people wish to pass judgement over actions that make no real difference. What a sad hobby that is.

Edited by sbell111

<snip>

I wonder how many owners of P&Gs and LPCs actually expect more than a TFTC type log? They must be aware that the caches are as cut and paste as the logs they receive. The cut and paste logs that detail the finders day are probably among the longest, most detailed and interesting logs they get on those caches.

Just a couple of random thoughts that came to mind. Off to pour another cup of eye opener.

Just getting myself a cup-a-joe as well thinking that some cachers that would place P&G's, LPC's and Lame Micros in general, especially in "practically unlimited quantity", probably do not bother to read the logs of cache finders.

I say that with my own conclusion since I was out finding caches with friends (I generally filter out these types of caches) and came across a micro placed at a famous corner drugstore that was very wet on the inside. Opened the container and dried out the log and swabbed out the water. Mentioned in our online log of the maintenance we performed. Not so much as a thanks. The hider, BTW, is one of those prolific hiders of micros.

It may be that the person who owned the cache that the OP found is one who actually tends thier caches as best that they can and knew that the find could/may have been bogus. Or at least that is what they perceive.

Does it matter if a cacher types TFTC or cut and pastes it? If that is all the cache deserves in a log then that is what it gets.

In defense of the copy/paste mentality, that's the method I employ in my logging.

After a day of caching, I sit down with Microsoft Word and type up a blog like page detailing my day.

All my adventures, my finds, my DNFs, what I liked about each, what I traded, etc.

This typically runs between 4000 to 8000 characters.

I copy/paste this into each log.

Note: There are no "# 5 of 15. Thanks for the hide" type entries included.

Generally speaking, if I find a cache so lame that I can't find something positive to say about it, I just leave it off my log.

Regarding cut-and-paste laogs, I think that it would serve us well to remember that we all have different definitions of 'awesome'. Just because a specific cache inspires one person to write a unique log doesn't mean that another person doesn't think it deserves a 'TFTC'.

An LPC may inspire some people in this thread to write a long custom log, while many others would not give the log very much effort. The same goes for every single cache. The 'lamest' cache in the world will inspire a few people to write a long custom find log. The 'best' cache in teh world will inspire most people to write custom logs, but not all people. That's OK.

I'm much more concerned that so many people wish to pass judgement over actions that make no real difference. What a sad hobby that is.

Great post sbell, GREAT post!!

A cache hidden in a rock crevice after a 2000 foot climb through mountain laurel, perched on the edge of a cliff with a 50 mile view of Rhodendrons, Hemlocks and Mountain Laurel elicits only a .........TFTC, SL, TNLN

THAT'S IT, for that cache! :ph34r:

But let me find a SUUUWEEEEET Big Pile of Sticks next to a big tree alongside a dirt road not more than 5 minutes from a McDonalds or Burger King snack and :D ............OHHHH BAYYYYBEEEEEEE! :laughing:

I am leaving that cacher some good smacks about how much the cache meant to me, how uplifting it was when I sighted it from 150 yards as I came around the last curve in the road, how there was not much poison ivy due to heavy traffic of other cachers reaching through the fence and grabbing the lovely pieces of pine bark, oak gall limbs and the smattering of cottonwood branches off the top of the Ammo Can! :):o:laughing:

Does it matter if a cacher types TFTC or cut and pastes it? If that is all the cache deserves in a log then that is what it gets.

In defense of the copy/paste mentality, that's the method I employ in my logging.

After a day of caching, I sit down with Microsoft Word and type up a blog like page detailing my day.

All my adventures, my finds, my DNFs, what I liked about each, what I traded, etc.

This typically runs between 4000 to 8000 characters.

I copy/paste this into each log.

Note: There are no "# 5 of 15. Thanks for the hide" type entries included.

Generally speaking, if I find a cache so lame that I can't find something positive to say about it, I just leave it off my log.

It seems that I may not have been clear in my intent. I was not attempting to deride cut and past logs or P&G or LPC caches. Rather I was trying to understand. What I posted was just a few thoughts that came into my mind while perusing the forums over my morning coffee.

I agree. It's terribly sad. I can tell you've felt that way for a long time, since a quick search shows you have spent an inordinate amount of time in the forums for several years criticizing other cachers.

Maybe it's time to quit.

I agree. It's terribly sad. I can tell you've felt that way for a long time, since a quick search shows you have spent an inordinate amount of time in the forums for several years criticizing other cachers.

Maybe it's time to quit.

Maybe it is time to be an active cacher again rather than a pundit. One active cache hidden about seven years ago. The likely response is there are other hides under different names and finds simply aren't logged all of the time. But an incredible online presence so all is good. This game doesn't need pundits who used to play and now pontificate. It needs active cachers who are hiding caches and finding caches so they understand the current state of the game.

A cache hidden in a rock crevice after a 2000 foot climb through mountain laurel, perched on the edge of a cliff with a 50 mile view of Rhodendrons, Hemlocks and Mountain Laurel elicits only a .........TFTC, SL, TNLN

But let me find a SUUUWEEEEET Big Pile of Sticks next to a big tree alongside a dirt road not more than 5 minutes from a McDonalds or Burger King snack and :D ............OHHHH BAYYYYBEEEEEEE! :laughing:

I am leaving that cacher some good smacks about how much the cache meant to me, how uplifting it was when I sighted it from 150 yards as I came around the last curve in the road, how there was not much poison ivy due to heavy traffic of other cachers reaching through the fence and grabbing the lovely pieces of pine bark, oak gall limbs and the smattering of cottonwood branches off the top of the Ammo Can! :):o:laughing:

I think your polarity is reversed.

For an individual, I'm sure that the continuum always runs in the opposite direction. A person who 'TFTCs' your hypothetical 'great' cache will likely always 'TFTC' your hypothetical 'Big Pile O' Sticks' cache. However, the reverse doesn't hold to be true. A person who isn't inspired to write a glowing custom log on the mundane cache may certainly write one for the great cache, or not.

Maybe it's time to quit.

Really? I beg to differ.

I make an effort to not criticize other cachers and keep my posts to the topic at hand. Of course, that doesn't mean that I agree with every post made, nor should it.

By the way, sock puppet accounts are against the forum guidelines.

4. Sock puppet accounts are not permitted. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts may be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.

Maybe it is time to be an active cacher again rather than a pundit. One active cache hidden about seven years ago. The likely response is there are other hides under different names and finds simply aren't logged all of the time. But an incredible online presence so all is good. This game doesn't need pundits who used to play and now pontificate. It needs active cachers who are hiding caches and finding caches so they understand the current state of the game.
Whatever.

First, I don't remember there being a rule that everyone must constantly be hiding new caches. People should hide a cache when the spirit strikes them and only if they can adequately maintain it. I archived most of my caches back when I had my accident because I couldn't maintain them. I have chosen not to hide new ones because my schedule has become chaotic, leaving me little opportunity to schedule maintenance visits with little notice.

Second, I am an active geocacher. I own and maintain my two active caches and go out and find caches as my schedule allows. I found half dozen or so this past Sunday.

Of course, none of this is your business. If you disagree with a position that I take in the forums, challenge it. Make a reasoned argument as to why you believe that I am wrong.

Edited by sbell111

But let me find a SUUUWEEEEET Big Pile of Sticks next to a big tree alongside a dirt road not more than 5 minutes from a McDonalds or Burger King snack and :lol: ............OHHHH BAYYYYBEEEEEEE! :o

I am leaving that cacher some good smacks about how much the cache meant to me, how uplifting it was when I sighted it from 150 yards as I came around the last curve in the road, how there was not much poison ivy due to heavy traffic of other cachers reaching through the fence and grabbing the lovely pieces of pine bark, oak gall limbs and the smattering of cottonwood branches off the top of the Ammo Can! :D:):laughing:

Hey, that sounds like some of my caches... :o except I have a couple that are 7 minutes from a McDonalds... :laughing: and I make a big pile of rocks, not sticks. (thank you very much). :huh: 'Cause let's face it, if Unkle Fester's going to hide, it's gotta have a rock involved... :o

THAT'S IT, for that cache! :P

But let me find a SUUUWEEEEET Big Pile of Sticks next to a big tree alongside a dirt road not more than 5 minutes from a McDonalds or Burger King snack and :) ............OHHHH BAYYYYBEEEEEEE! :D

I am leaving that cacher some good smacks about how much the cache meant to me, how uplifting it was when I sighted it from 150 yards as I came around the last curve in the road, how there was not much poison ivy due to heavy traffic of other cachers reaching through the fence and grabbing the lovely pieces of pine bark, oak gall limbs and the smattering of cottonwood branches off the top of the Ammo Can! :D:):P

Hey, that sounds like some of my caches... :D except I have a couple that are 7 minutes from a McDonalds... :D and I make a big pile of rocks, not sticks. (thank you very much). :P 'Cause let's face it, if Unkle Fester's going to hide, it's gotta have a rock involved... :P

:D

LOL! Funny stuff Uncle!!!! I LUVVVVES me some Big Pile Of Rocks...............when I can't get Big Piles Of Sticks!!! :P:blink::P

I went out caching a few weeks ago and got about 35 caches that day in my general area. Then when I was finished I logged my finds, a few hours later I received a message from one of the cache owners that said that she had thought that her cache was missing as there were 3 or 4 DNFs on it and she herself had gone looking for it and couldn't find it. She asked me where it was. I tried as hard as I could to remember it but with all the caches I had gotten that day, for the life of me I could not remember this particular cache and explained that to her. I heard nothing but about a week after that I received a notification that she had deleted my log, and there was no reason given. So I sent her an email asking if she would please explain to me why my find on her cache was deleted, and I have no heard anything from her.....what would you do?

Not that losing 1 log is going to kill me, I was just curious as to what other cachers thoughts are on the matter.

Scubasonic

So, Scubasonic, has your issue been resolved yet, or should be still continue squabbling about unrelated stuff? :blink:

THAT'S IT, for that cache! :P

But let me find a SUUUWEEEEET Big Pile of Sticks next to a big tree alongside a dirt road not more than 5 minutes from a McDonalds or Burger King snack and :P ............OHHHH BAYYYYBEEEEEEE! :)

I am leaving that cacher some good smacks about how much the cache meant to me, how uplifting it was when I sighted it from 150 yards as I came around the last curve in the road, how there was not much poison ivy due to heavy traffic of other cachers reaching through the fence and grabbing the lovely pieces of pine bark, oak gall limbs and the smattering of cottonwood branches off the top of the Ammo Can! :D:):P

I think your polarity is reversed.

For an individual, I'm sure that the continuum always runs in the opposite direction. A person who 'TFTCs' your hypothetical 'great' cache will likely always 'TFTC' your hypothetical 'Big Pile O' Sticks' cache. However, the reverse doesn't hold to be true. A person who isn't inspired to write a glowing custom log on the mundane cache may certainly write one for the great cache, or not.

I KNEW I should have put more goofy little icon hooties in my post!!

:D:P:D:blink::P:P