A Deleted Log

well yes I am proud of my finds "SO WHAT" I earned everyone of them

IMO, doing a cut-and-paste log for a 1/1 LPC is not "earning" much of anything.

Your entitled to your opinion, but after looking at your profile at least I support Geocaching in a premium membership, and have hides & finds....what are you a TROLL.

SS

Three states AND a graduation? I'm anxious to hear that exclamation too. I can't believe that a person who could accomplish that feat wouldn't be willing to drive 45 miles to verify a find. Especially one that was so memorable to him.

Edited by obxnomad

All I'm saying is that everyone plays the game differently, there is no right or wrong way to Geocache, as long as you are fair...... I do remember most of the caches I get some are more memorable then others that's all, and some are forgettable. I just don't think it was Kits place to criticize me for doing a "Cut & Paste" on large caching days that's all. There is one cacher in our area that has over 10,000 finds and his posts are short and sweet but a "Cut & Paste" all the same no biggie, I say play the game how you want as long as you are fair.

Scubasonic

I find it impossible to read your original reply to Kitfox and not infer that you somehow thought that you were better than him, and that your opinion should carry more weight, simply because you find caches at faster rate. This is in direct conflict with your statement that I have quoted above.

My curiosity was peaked by the logs for Missouri, Iowa & Washington recorded six days ago. You found all those caches in one day, and you got to attend your daughter's graduation too. How exactly did you do that?!?

OK children pay attention now......

May 16th>

Caught plane for Iowa in the afternoon on May 16th picked up a cache in Washington where I live in the morning before I left flew into Kansas City Missouri Airport that same day. Got on I-35 North and headed North picked up a few caches along the way in Missouri right off the freeway on the way to Iowa.

May 17>

If you look you will see that the states are very close I stayed at Bethany Missouri and my daughter was in Lamoni Iowa which was about a 30 minute drive from my hotel, so on the 17th I got caches Missouri and Iowa after graduation and a picnic.

May 18th>

Just got 1 caches in Missouri on the way back to the Airport had cleaned out most of the caches in the area.

I suggest you look at a map next time, and get your facts straight there was NO DAY that I got caches in all 3 states as you stated you are mistaken, but it would have been very possible to get 4 States in one day easy, in fact let me give you a scenario, this will fry your noggin.

Got up in Washington got a cache in the morning, hopped a plane and landed in Kansas City Missouri got the rental car drove 30 minutes West across the river to Kansas City Kansas got a cache, jumped on I-35 heading north get a cache on the 2 hour road trip through Missouri, continue on I-35 it goes right to Iowa pick up a cache there in Iowa that's 4 states all before dinner. so I would have got a cache in Washington, Kansas, Missouri, and Iowa really no big deal at all....the last time I was there a year ago I was there for 4 days and got caches in Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, and Missouri I think about 30 caches in all.

RECAP

May 16th caches found............ Washington & Missouri

May 17th caches found.......... Missouri & Iowa

May 18th caches found.......... Missouri

May 19th Back home in Washington continuing 290 day caching streak.

Still don't think it is possible to get caches in 3 states in one Day ?????

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

Kit,

Well yes I do Cut and Paste logs when I have days where I get 30 + in one day, is there anything wrong with that? I would not exspect you to understand since your first find was in May of 04' and you have only 1477 finds, I have only been finding caches since Jun 16 of 08 and have over 2500 so far and have not even reached my anniversary of my first year caching.

Scubasonic

You couldn't remember any details about the cache in question, and you didn't write anything original in your log. My point was to illustrate these facts, and share my opinion of how it looks to a cache owner.

As to my stats, since you used mine to bolster you point, I have over a 1000 caches available to find, within 30 miles. I could easily drive from parking lot to store alley and find about 80% them, but I prefer to cache for entertainment. My entertainment includes carrying a heavy backpack, enjoying nature, and leaving the pavement. If I don't have the time to find the caches I prefer, I pursue other activities. Many of the spots I would like to visit exceed 100 degrees F. this time of year. Long hikes and sweltering temps aren't much fun for me. Come this fall, and i'm their. :o

I also spend months planning hides. Feel free to check out my 100th placed cache if you want to see how I contribute to the game.

I can't seem to find a "100 in a day" when i'm in areas like this. Note the lack of LPCs, alleys, and guardrails :(

Hike-on.jpg

Picture was taking near The Chamber geocache.

Edited by Kit Fox

Numbers cachers like you seem to have a habit of going for the smiley at all costs, sometimes claiming finds they didn't actually make.

Oh so now your saying that just because cachers get high numbers they must be claiming finds they didn't actually make?????

what a idiot.

Ooh, looks like we hit a nerve!

I didn't say all high numbers cachers claim finds they didn't make. Just a higher percentage than the general population. Not surprising, since high numbers cachers tend to value their find counts very highly, while normal people don't really care all that much.

The only "normal" people in geocaching are the ones that revere the BIG PILE OF STICKS!! :o

People like....well.....LIKE ME! :D

If your find count smilies are not at LEAST 99 percent BIG PILE OF STICK finds, then you are just spinning your wheels in the quagmires of geocachdom!! B):D:lol:

And everybody is free to play the game how THEY want to play it.......as long as it includes the BIG PILE OF STICKS!! :(:P

Heh ...

I freely admit to being new to this geocaching stuff, but I'm about as interested in a high find count as I am in sparring in an online forum. I'm interested in this pastime for a lot of reasons, but competition and confrontation aren't among 'em. :(

Pete (who's just enjoying the ride)

Hmm....I thought name-calling wasn't allowed on this board. :(

Scubasonic - I've been caching regularly for about a year and a half and have only just hit 400 (proudly I might add). Last May I had a log deleted by someone who shall remain nameless but who has a history on this board and who is no longer allowed to post here because of his behavior.

At first I was miffed - especially after getting no reply to an email asking why my log was deleted. I even offered to send him a photo of my family at his cache but to no avail. He wasn't going to budge and I just decided I didn't care enough about 1 smiley to get in an altercation over it. It is obviously his problem - not mine.

Fast forward a year and I don't even think about it when I see my total caches found count. I just moved on and with the number of caches that you've accumulated, I fail to see why 1 find is causing this much angst.

It's just a game/sport/hobby. Go find some more caches and you'll feel better. :o

You people need EDUCATING! It is EASY to find geocaces in 6 or 8 states...IN ONE DAY!

All you have to do is own your own Lazy Boy Jet Recliner! :o

Ready for takeoff captain!

Roger!

Power lever UP!

Roger!

Vibration damper ON!

Roger!

And AWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY we GOOOOOOOOOOOO!

LOOK! Up in the sky! I'ts ............Lazy Boy Man!! :D:lol:B)

HEY!! It could HAPPEN!!!! :(

Kit,

Well yes I do Cut and Paste logs when I have days where I get 30 + in one day, is there anything wrong with that? I would not exspect you to understand since your first find was in May of 04' and you have only 1477 finds, I have only been finding caches since Jun 16 of 08 and have over 2500 so far and have not even reached my anniversary of my first year caching.

Scubasonic

You couldn't remember any details about the cache in question, and you didn't write anything original in your log. My point was to illustrate these facts, and share my opinion of how it looks to a cache owner.

As to my stats, since you used mine to bolster you point, I have over a 1000 caches available to find, within 30 miles. I could easily drive from parking lot to store alley and find about 80% them, but I prefer to cache for entertainment. My entertainment includes carrying a heavy backpack, enjoying nature, and leaving the pavement. If I don't have the time to find the caches I prefer, I pursue other activities. Many of the spots I would like to visit exceed 100 degrees F. this time of year. Long hikes and sweltering temps aren't much fun for me. Come this fall, and i'm their. :o

I also spend months planning hides. Feel free to check out my 100th placed cache if you want to see how I contribute to the game.

I can't seem to find a "100 in a day" when i'm in areas like this. Note the lack of LPCs, alleys, and guardrails :(

Hike-on.jpg

Picture was taking near The Chamber geocache.

Great pic! Deserves another look...

And to the OP, I would say that KitFox understands more about how YOU play the game than you do. But you won't know what I'm talking about. And that's a shame.

I have only been finding caches since Jun 16 of 08 and have over 2500 so far and have not even reached my anniversary of my first year caching.

Scubasonic

Better get on the stick there boy, Alamogul has been averaging 4,000+ a year and has over 32,000 finds. You not the hottie you think you are.

Jim

Better get on the stick there boy, Alamogul has been averaging 4,000+ a year and has over 32,000 finds. You not the hottie you think you are.

Jim

Never said I was, just posting the stats that's all.

SS

Sure you did! You thought you were better than me because you have found more caches than I did.

I would be happy to compare all of my stats with you if you would like. We can start with Average log size, and number of hides. :(

Why not post a Note..."I found this cache on x/xx. The owner can't find it. Will the next finder please check the log and report if my signature appears?"

(But I would be pissed if I had a find deleted because the owner can't find the cache. I've been to more than one cache where the owner put out a replacement because he couldn't find the original...and I found the original.)

I can think of one around here that had DNF after DNF posted. The owners went out to replace the cache. They found the original cache a distance away from the original hiding spot. :(

Jim

SS

Sure you did! You thought you were better than me because you have found more caches than I did.

I would be happy to compare all of my stats with you if you would like. We can start with Average log size, and number of hides. :(

Kit,

Just start out with the number of caches you remember finding and you'll win. Easily.

Bruce

Kit,

Just start out with the number of caches you remember finding and you'll win. Easily.

Bruce

Another geocacher had a forum signature that said something like this, "If you have more finds than good memories, you're caching all wrong." That signature is what I like to follow. I prefer memorable experiences, and quality vs quantity.

Ok then we will end by comparing most consecutive days with a Find, Most FTFs in a Day, and most FTFs in a month, and most finds in a day, Month, Year etc......... OH but you got me on log size, and hides, that's really hard to sit in front of a keyboard and ramble on about a cache.

SS

Edited by Scubasonic

Ok then we will end by comparing most consecutive days with a Find, Most FTFs in a Day, and most FTFs in a month, and most finds in a day, Month, Year etc......... OH but you got me on log size, and hides, that's really hard to sit in front of a keyboard and ramble on about a cache.

SS

You know your not going to win. You already lost a long time ago. But I guess some are slow learners.

Jim

Jim

SS

I would be happy to compare all of my stats with you if you would like. We can start with Average log size, and number of hides. B)

SS

At least he can remember the caches he went after!! :(:o:D

"I suggest you look at a map next time, and get your facts straight there was NO DAY that I got caches in all 3 states as you stated you are mistaken,..." (emphasis mine)

Really? That's not what your logs indicate. You have clearly recorded finds in all three states on the same day.

You called your own credibility into question by drawing attention to your caching style and by your performance here in the forum. There is no need for personal attack, nor the facetious and sarcastic comments on the boards.

Please do not send me a PM again - I did not appreciate your comment or your tone.

<snip>... that's really hard to sit in front of a keyboard and ramble on about a cache.

SS

No it isn't. I find it easy to post my adventures on admirable caches with out "rambling". In fact I highly endorse genuine logging of caches. Not the C&P method.

I am not about the numbers either. I have cached since April '02 and have just over 800 finds. I try to go after the more adventure type of cache.

When I started caching, Colorado had under 600 caches.

In fact, look at my sig-line below to get an idea of the caching adventures we pursue.

Edited by zoltig

I would not exspect you to understand since your first find was in May of 04' and you have only 1477 finds, I have only been finding caches since Jun 16 of 08 and have over 2500 so far and have not even reached my anniversary of my first year caching.

I was just going to read and not say anything, but this is completely rude and ignorant. My husband and I work 70+ hour weeks, so we've been caching since '06 and only have 480, but you know what; that doesn't make us better or worse cachers than anyone else. It just means we cache when we can and we enjoy ourselves. That's what matters.

You don't know what people's work schedules, ability levels, other commitments, family life, etc are like. What a ridiculous thing to say, especially since it was pointed out that you logged caches in three different states on the same day... very suspicious I would think.

Edit: I also wanted to add, that although I'm fairly new to the forums themselves I respect KitFox very much and I admire the effort that he makes, love reading about his adventures, and I think the way he caches is very cool. And after reading some of what he had posted, I think that 1477 in the amount of time he's been caching is AMAZING.

I supported you too until I read this.

-Rozie

Edited by nymphnsatyr

I enjoy a good wholesome forum scrap as much as the next chap, but I'm just feeling bad about this one. I'm sorry that Scubasonic is being ganged up on, but I'm also sorry that this seems to be exactly what he wanted. I thought he was asking an honest question in his original post, but sadly it's clear now that he had another agenda.

Grabbing hold with both hands and giving a mighty heave, I'll drag this thread (however briefly) back on topic.

Scubasonic, in the last 3 days since this started, what have YOU done about that deleted log? Have you contacted the owner again? Have you gone back to find the cache again? In the time you've spent bickering and alienating people here you could have re-found that cache and grabbed another dozen or so besides. Or did you decide to just forget about it and move on with more important things?

SS

I think you are completely missing the point. All those stats about FTF's, finds in a day, consecutive days with a find...they're all meaningless to anyone but yourself. Congrats to you on your accomplishments. The rest of us don't care about your numbers. I'll take finding one cache a year, if that one cache gave me an experience to last a lifetime rather than 50 caches in a day and at the end of it, I couldn't recall any of them.

that's really hard to sit in front of a keyboard and ramble on about a cache

To me, this is one of the most telling things about you. You don't care about the online logging part. Fine. Then don't log online. Wait. That would mean you wouldn't have all those meaningless smileys to brag about. I doubt it will make a difference to you, but I'm going to relate to you a belief I used to have and how it is similar to your attitude about online logging.

I used to try to dissuade people from taking a camera along with them when they went on vacation. My belief was that having a camera meant that they wouldn't REALLY experience whatever it was they were going to see or do. They were substituting photographs for memories. If you were going to the Grand Canyon, I advocated just sitting there, absorbing everything you saw and felt, imprinting it all to your memory so you wouldn't need a photo to remind you.

As I grew older (and wiser), I realized this was a very selfish attitude to have. The true joy of visiting the Grand Canyon (which I haven't visited yet) wasn't that I could sit in my rocking chair and remember the day I sat on a rock, absorbing it all. No, the joy was that I could share that experience with my friends and family. Using photographs is an aid to show them "this is what I saw and this is what I was feeling when I saw it". They become part of the moment. I can take my very personal experience and make it that much richer by sharing it with others. Adopting that attitude, I won't go anywhere now without a camera. I don't just snap of photo after photo, as I do enjoy just sitting down and absorbing it all, but I do try to capture my feelings in the pictures I take so that I can share my experience with others as the years go by.

I feel the same way about logging my cache finds. I don't write paragraph after paragraph on most of my finds. A few sentences usually suffice but those sentences are unique to that cache and when I look back, I can recall the find pretty clearly. I have no use for cut and paste logs and those that use them are telling everyone else, including the cache owner, that the cache was nothing more than a smiley to them. Does that not seem self-absorbed to you? Use the logs to share your experiences with others. If you find yourself having nothing to write about, maybe it's time to think about what you are really getting out of caching.

Bruce

SS

I think you are completely missing the point. All those stats about FTF's, finds in a day, consecutive days with a find...they're all meaningless to anyone but yourself. Congrats to you on your accomplishments. The rest of us don't care about your numbers. I'll take finding one cache a year, if that one cache gave me an experience to last a lifetime rather than 50 caches in a day and at the end of it, I couldn't recall any of them.

that's really hard to sit in front of a keyboard and ramble on about a cache

To me, this is one of the most telling things about you. You don't care about the online logging part. Fine. Then don't log online. Wait. That would mean you wouldn't have all those meaningless smileys to brag about. I doubt it will make a difference to you, but I'm going to relate to you a belief I used to have and how it is similar to your attitude about online logging.

I used to try to dissuade people from taking a camera along with them when they went on vacation. My belief was that having a camera meant that they wouldn't REALLY experience whatever it was they were going to see or do. They were substituting photographs for memories. If you were going to the Grand Canyon, I advocated just sitting there, absorbing everything you saw and felt, imprinting it all to your memory so you wouldn't need a photo to remind you.

As I grew older (and wiser), I realized this was a very selfish attitude to have. The true joy of visiting the Grand Canyon (which I haven't visited yet) wasn't that I could sit in my rocking chair and remember the day I sat on a rock, absorbing it all. No, the joy was that I could share that experience with my friends and family. Using photographs is an aid to show them "this is what I saw and this is what I was feeling when I saw it". They become part of the moment. I can take my very personal experience and make it that much richer by sharing it with others. Adopting that attitude, I won't go anywhere now without a camera. I don't just snap of photo after photo, as I do enjoy just sitting down and absorbing it all, but I do try to capture my feelings in the pictures I take so that I can share my experience with others as the years go by.

I feel the same way about logging my cache finds. I don't write paragraph after paragraph on most of my finds. A few sentences usually suffice but those sentences are unique to that cache and when I look back, I can recall the find pretty clearly. I have no use for cut and paste logs and those that use them are telling everyone else, including the cache owner, that the cache was nothing more than a smiley to them. Does that not seem self-absorbed to you? Use the logs to share your experiences with others. If you find yourself having nothing to write about, maybe it's time to think about what you are really getting out of caching.

Bruce

When I plan geocaching trips, I often read the logs of previous finders. If I cache has nothing but C&P logs and lacks any pictures in the gallery, I would not add it to my bookmark. If I see a cache with long logs, a nice gallery of pictures, and several "favorites" bookmarks, i'll add it to my bookmark of caches I want to find.

By taking the time to write nice logs of my experiences, posting pictures of what the area looks like, then bookmarking my favorite finds, I help cachers like me plan their trips. :(It also proves to the cache owner that I was at their cache.

Edited by Kit Fox

:( I think the "deleted log" is now a mute point. It was a great topic with answers given. I Initally understood what SS was saying and agreed, until the name calling and number comparing started.

:yikes:A new forum titled "I'm better than you, because I have more everything than you" needs to be started.

:o Sad to say, "I've seen this before." I think SS is gaining a reputation.

I quit logging my finds because of people like the OP who are obsessed with their numbers.

Here is the perfect solution for you:

(1) Mark that cache found in GSAK

(2) Select Ignore Listing on the gc.com site for that cache.

That way it won't show up on your unfound and you will have the right number of finds in GSAK.

Cause trust me. NO ONE cares about your number besides you.

Edited by Tequila

QUESTIONS.......Can a cacher have thousands of smilies and be a "LOSER"?

........................Can a cacher be surrounded by hundreds of fellow cachers and be.......ALL ALONE?

DON'T ANSWER THOSE QUESTIONS!!!!

Just answer this question.......

What could be more BEAUTIFUL than a BIG PILE OF STICKS at the end of the geocaching Rainbow?

NOW YA TALKIN'!!! :(:D:o

we will end by comparing most consecutive days with a Find, Most FTFs in a Day, and most FTFs in a month, and most finds in a day, Month, Year etc.

You cache in whatever manner pleases you the most. If that means rushing about, from mindless film can to mindless Altoids tin, lifting lamp post skirts and reaching under dumpsters, steadily increasing your all important find count on caches you can't remember a few days later, I say "Go for it!" I believe it was Snoogans who opined that, if you're playing this game, and you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong. Personally, I'd much rather spend a day locating one memorable hide, than 50 uninspired, lame hides. It's not that your method is wrong, any more than my method is wrong. They're just different.

Where I feel you stepped over the line is when you implied that your caching method is somehow superior to someone else's.

OH but you got me on log size

Incidentally, average log length is quite probably the single most important determining factor when I am setting up a cache hunting day. If I see two caches, which appear to be similar from the perspective of the cache page, and one has an average of 500 words per log, while the other has hordes of TNLNSL, I'm gonna assume that the first one more closely matches my biased caching aesthetic.

that's really hard to sit in front of a keyboard and ramble on about a cache.

It's kinda odd that you would rip on him for the one activity you refuse to partake in, while claiming that activity is not difficult. :(

Scubasonic clearly isn't making any friends with his "mine is bigger than yours" attitude, but I still don't think his "find" should be deleted.

I don't really think he is intentionally inflating his find counts. The worst I can conclude is he never actually searched for this one although he had it on his list and he just cut/paste a find for everything on his list.

For me to delete a "find" I would need at least "preponderance of the evidence" if not "beyond reasonable doubt." And that would be finding my log and not seeing his name. (Or maybe if you are an armchair cacher from Germany. But I believe SS made the trip he described.)

I still don't think his "find" should be deleted.

In accordance with my caching ethos, I agree. I'm not a fan of deleting logs under any circumstances, and I certainly wouldn't have deleted one under those circumstances. Unless I could review the log, and confirm that a person's name is not in it, deleting a log isn't even an option for me. Judging by his opening salvo, I tend to believe that he did, in fact, locate the cache in question, and either it was so unremarkable that he couldn't remember anything about it, or he's gotten so deep in the habit of copy/pasting logs that he doesn't bother with the paltry details.

Incidently, (if it matters at this point), I think Scuba was way off base in thinking Kit was 'attacking' his copy/paste logging methods.

From my viewpoint, it looked like Kit was simply pointing out the many different reasons which may have led to his log being nuked.

His copy/paste logs were just another piece of the puzzle.

If it is important for you to have as a find,if you get back in the area,go and find it and take a picture of the cache itself and a picture of it sitting where you found it,etc... and e-mail her the pics.I know that seems like kinda a pain,but it would be the proof she is looking for.Just a thought.

I don't really think he is intentionally inflating his find counts. The worst I can conclude is he never actually searched for this one although he had it on his list and he just cut/paste a find for everything on his list.

Well, I received a personal note from another cacher who suggests another possibility. I did wonder for a bit why someone who is as interested in piling up numbers would look for a cache with a bunch of DNFs. I know if I'm on a county run I'll skip caches that I suspect might be missing.

Still am not quite comfortable deleting a find log just because you can't find the cache (and the "finder" can provide no information about where the cache was), but I'm moving closer to an "agnostic" viewpoint if the cacher seems to find [and forget] caches everyone says are missing.

I went out caching a few weeks ago and got about 35 caches that day in my general area. Then when I was finished I logged my finds, a few hours later I received a message from one of the cache owners that said that she had thought that her cache was missing as there were 3 or 4 DNFs on it and she herself had gone looking for it and couldn't find it. She asked me where it was. I tried as hard as I could to remember it but with all the caches I had gotten that day, for the life of me I could not remember this particular cache and explained that to her. I heard nothing but about a week after that I received a notification that she had deleted my log, and there was no reason given. So I sent her an email asking if she would please explain to me why my find on her cache was deleted, and I have no heard anything from her.....what would you do?

Not that losing 1 log is going to kill me, I was just curious as to what other cachers thoughts are on the matter.Scubasonic

I find this whole topic hilarious given that Scubasonic recently deleted 2 of my logs on his caches. Interestingly enough, I was with 3 other cachers that day, there were no previous DNF's, I can still remember BOTH caches and the details of the surrounding areas. He did it out of spite because I had the audacity to call him out on a well known FTF cheating issue. I relogged my finds a couple of times and they were deleted again. I finally contacted Groundspeak about the abuse, relogged my 2 cache finds and they have since remained. I guess I'll see what happens after this posting LOL! Remember - what goes around comes around - looks like you (SS) are getting your just rewards. Cache on!

Edited by Jayel57

I enjoy a good wholesome forum scrap as much as the next chap, but I'm just feeling bad about this one. I'm sorry that Scubasonic is being ganged up on, but I'm also sorry that this seems to be exactly what he wanted. I thought he was asking an honest question in his original post, but sadly it's clear now that he had another agenda.

I don't think that he had another agenda, at all.

• He posted his issue in a completely appropriate way.
  • The thread was moving along nice and peaceful like until posts 18 and 19 when a few of us decided to inject our own personal biases into it.
  • Other posters attempted to keep the thread on track, but soon it was completely derailed by the 'pile oners'.
  • He made the argument that his way of caching is just as valid as theirs.
  • He attempted to argue that those that the two camps can't really understand each other's position and highlighted the position differences by comparing his stats to kit fox's. He never stated that his method was better or that he was a better anything than kit fox.
  • Many of the rumblers inferred that the OP thought that he was better than kit fox, even though he never stated this.
  • The thread continued to spiral downward due to the many preconceptions, personal biases, misunderstandings, and piling on.

Several posters should apologize for how they've handled themselves in this thread, but it will never happen.