Online Geocacher Magazine

We have new content for our reading pleasure! But first, see who won The Online Geocacher's geocoin contest.

Some readers have noticed that there is an editor for submitting articles. You can write, format and add photos without leaving the magazine! Please include the name you would like your article published under and if you are a new author, a short bio and contact info. (only publishing staff will see this) Articles will be reviewed and published as soon as possible.

Our latest new story of seeking a cache the hard way was submitted without an author. Claim your story "The Other Path" and we'll make sure you get the credits. Contact The Online Geocacher Magazine at onlinegeocacher@gmail.com

Topgun117 surprises fellow cachers in "Caught in the Act." and.. another Sioneva Saga with Sagacious Sayings and far too long a title :-)

Some things are best done together, such as "A Very Tricky Multi" by our newest columnist nanncyan.

As always, sign in and encourage your favorite authors by leaving comments on their stories.

I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Holiday Season!

catsnfish

New content:

Coin Match: 3 Winners!

by catsnfish

New twist on the contest. Read all about it!!

The Other Path

by anonymous

Our dash up a rocky slope full of fatal falls mere inches away

Caught in the Act

by topgun117

I've seen the funny stories of cachers having run-ins with the local law, but what to do when the local law is a fellow cacher!

The Chronicles of Sioneva: The Sulking of the Sioncat, or Texas, Turkey, and Travel

by Sioneva

A Very Tricky Multi

by nanncyan (Marvin Altena)

Sometimes its better to be lucky than good!

One day I get a cryptic email from a geocaching pal which only had a set of coordinates.

I go there and after a thorough search I find an Easter Egg with a geocoin in it.

Turns out that the mystery cacher who calls him or herself the Easter Geocoin Bunny had sent me a very special geocoin by way of my friend! Way cool! That will remain in the geocaching memories file for a lifetime!

Who is the EGB? Nobody knows... but he or she has posted a neat article in The Online Geocacher!

Who gives out geocoins totally anonymously just to make geocachers happy? The Easter Geocoin Bunny!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from the staff of The Online Geocacher!

We wish all of you a wonderful new year.

"Welcome Catsnfish! I am the Moderator of the Caching Future topics. Everyone here has an opinion on what caching should be. On what to hide and where it should go. How big it must be and what's a no no. Can't hide in the woods, it must have trade goods! Don't place it too high or make us all lie. Must sign in the log, can't sign if a dog! No bargain buys for FTF prize!"

Want the rest of the story?

Read it in The Online Geocacher http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time...2-8-08-10-12-51

The magazine's traffic analysis tells us that we've had 1,465 geocachers so far this month visit and stay an average of almost 4 minutes to read a story, so we know that geocachers are reading and enjoying the stories that you submit!

The Online Geocacher is a free and ad-free gift from Publisher catsnfish and myself to the geocaching community.

We thank you for submitting your stories so that we have something to publish sharing and celebrating our great game and its community of players.

Happy New Year!

Looking Back

It has been a good year for the magazine. We've added more photos, new sections, some wonderful authors and columnists, and of course all of the great geocaching stories submitted by our readers. Our readership is growing with fellow cachers from every continent except Antarctica enjoying the magazine's content. We'll have to work on that one! Anyone planning an expedition south?

Looking Ahead

Some things we would like to see in the coming year would be more content of all types. Also... much more content!

Send in your stories, photos and experiences to share with cachers worldwide. Geocaching is all about sharing experiences through locations and the magazine is a natural extension of that. If you are new to the game, don't feel that you can't share; experience takes time but experiences happen right from the start! We are all new at one point and the joy and enthusiasm for the hunt is sometimes expressed best through fresh voices.

We have a few new things in the works for the new year; a video series, a comic strip, more tips and tricks and more authors from around the world. We are always open to input and suggestions from our readers. We can all look forward to a great new year in 2010.

As always, encourage your favorite authors by posting comments. A show of appreciation can help ensure that they continue to share their stories with all of us.

We now have an online text editor where subscribers can submit articles directly to the magazine. These are then reviewed and published by the staff. If you submit an article with this tool please include your contact information (name and email). This info will be kept confidential.

Of course you can still send any content directly to TheAlabamaRambler@gmail.com via email for publication.

To all who have contributed content to The Online Geocacher, Thank You!

This magazine lives only through geocachers contributing content, and your stories are the only reason it exists.

catsnfish

Joe

Publisher

TheAlabamaRambler

Ed

Editor

Our Latest Stories: Read these and much more at http://www.onlinegeocacher.com

An Afternoon with EGB: Memories of Mysteries.

by Easter Geocoin Bunny

The Hoochie-Coochie Cache

Researching the location can be fun!

I C U off the I

by Shrek & Fiona

3 hours to go a quarter mile

Best Served Cold

by catsnfish

Snails on Trails and Goats Hear Notes..

by Nikos Stamoulis

Snail on trails and goats hear notes and then the GAT finds caches.

Springtime Multis

Cabin fever made me do it...

Geocaching with Google Earth

by TheAlabamaRambler

Using Google Earth to plan your geocaching.

What I did on my Thanksgiving vacation

by DragonsWest Richard Adams

A photo tour of the Grand Canyon, geocacher style!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Once upon a midnight dreary, as she pondered pocket query

Our Sioneva set to win the Platinum EarthCache Master pin

Follow her unfolding tale of waterfalls and fossil shale

From southern isle with insect bites, to rising stairs of frightful heights

Losing her fair share of blood, in pursuit of rocks and mud

And ne’er did a grain of sand, go unstudied in her hand

No, ne’er did a grain of sand, go unstudied in her hand

Till passing through that fabled door, Platinum EarthCache Master…evermore!

Woohoo! Once again readers are gifted a great story in the continuing saga of Caching With nanncyann!

The Broken Foot - http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time...the-broken-foot

Funny, stuff! :lol:

If you missed their wonderful earlier adventures start at the beginning and read his column to date, it will brighten your day.

Send us your stories, your fellow geocachers would love to read them!

Send them to TheOnlineGeocacher@gmail.com or TheAlabamaRambler@gmail.com.

This makes 192 free stories published so far in The Online Geocacher, all by geocachers for geocachers.

Thank you!

A red letter day - 200 Stories! All Free!

Paul and Dana Gillin discovered geocaching and found it fascinating. Experienced writers, they read the available literature about geocaching and found something missing - stories about the people who play this game.

So they wrote a book! Months of research and extensive interviews in person and online with some of the most interesting and notable players in the game provided the basis for The Joy of Geocaching. I think it is the most entertaining, educational and compelling book yet written about our marvelous obsession.

Here is an excerpt from The Joy of Geocaching: Chapter 6 - Caching to the limits.

Marvin is back with another wonderful tale in his regular column 'Caching with nanncyann'

Gubbool (Warren) is an irrepressible figure in our Alabama geocaching scene. Upon retiring from his IT career he packed away all of his belongings and moved into a tent in Oak Mountain State Park for six months. Every day he hiked the mountainous trails to get into shape, and when he thought he was ready he started walking. To Maine. He hiked the entire Appalachian Trail and when he got done had his bicycle delivered to him and rode it back to Birmingham. Arriving home he found himself asking "What next?" so he got a canoe and paddled the entire length of the Coosa River from north Georgia to Mobile AL (over seven dams!). Then back up again, making him the only man to have ever done it both ways!

Here's one of his cache logs. He's an interesting fellow!

Woohoo! That makes 200 stories published in The Online Geocacher!

We hope that you have enjoyed every one of them as much as we have.

Geocachers want to read geocaching stories, so please send us yours! Consider this your personal invitation; we want to hear about your adventures!

See our content submission procedure in the sidebar of the home page or just email your story to TheAlabamaRambler@gmail.com

Geocachers, please share your stories!

Our web analytics tell us that lots of you are reading the stories we publish, so there's no question that geocachers like reading geocaching stories.

Without your active participation however there will be no stories to be read. :o

Send us yours!

http://onlinegeocacher.com

TheOnlineGeocacher@gmail.com

It's free, ad-free, for, by and about geocachers! :o

Our web analytics tell us that lots of you are reading the stories we publish, so there's no question that geocachers like reading geocaching stories.

Without your active participation however there will be no stories to be read. B)

Send us yours!

It's free, ad-free, for, by and about geocachers! :)

The Blue Bow approves of this message.

(cause my stories are getting boring uuuuuund predictable!)

Without your active participation however there will be no stories to be read. :mad:

Send us yours!

It's free, ad-free, for, by and about geocachers! ;)

The Blue Bow approves of this message.

(cause my stories are getting boring uuuuuund predictable!)

Never! Your stories rock. You make me laugh. Carry on. :P

The Online Geocacher welcomes 17-year-old hesslv as a regular contributing columnist.

It's great to have stories from a teenager's point of view and we are proud to have him aboard!

Share your stories in your free online geocaching magazine, The Online Geocacher.

Good to see. His blog is very well done and writes better than many people twice his age (including me). :unsure: