Online Geocacher Magazine

Greetings from the Online Geocacher magazine!

The magazine for, by and about geocachers! All content is reader submitted for all cachers to enjoy. The magazine is free to view and free to subscribe (subscribers are notified of new content, and the subscriber list will not be sold or shared). There is no advertisement to clutter up the stories and articles sent in by your fellow cachers.

Come in, take a look around, it is a work in progress, articles are added as they are received, no waiting for a publish date. New departments will soon be added, which brings us to the reason for this topic.

Two new departments I envision would be devoted to Geocoins and to EarthCaches, but they can’t exist without your submissions. If you can tell a tale of designing coins or developing EarthCaches, if you have helpful hints to pass along or just want to rave over a wonderful experience, send in your story. Mystery coiners, add to the mystique of your coin and create a legend for it. EarthCachers, share the wonders of our world with the readers. You don’t need to be an accomplished author to submit stories or articles, you don’t need to be an expert on these subjects, just willing to share your experiences.

Non- English submissions are encouraged as well! Write in your native language about caching in your country. Help The Online Geocacher to be for, by, and about cachers the world over!

Submissions, or questions can be sent to onlinegeocacher@gmail.com

"This posting has been approved in advance by Groundspeak"

To avoid confusion:

I gave ownership and control of The Online Geocacher to catsnfish, our new Publisher, as my volunteerism in ham radio disaster preparedness and relief has become pretty time consuming. My only request (not requirement) was that he keep it angst-free and cost-free for all geocachers and he has agreed to do that.

Catsnfish as I am sure you know has been a regular contributor of some great content and I know that he'll do a wonderful job, with your help, of growing The Online Geocacher and making it ever more interesting.

I am keeping my hand in by remaining on staff as the Editor-In-Chief and cheerleader.

Please help catsnfish grow The Online Geocacher into an even more valuable geocacher resource by sending him your stories for publication.

Thanks Ed, for your support and allowing me to continue the magazine.

Right from the first time I read the magazine, I knew it was something special that I wanted to support. The best way I could support the magazine was to write for it. So I did and I had a great time doing it. I'll continue my column since I do enjoy writing it.

You have once stated the magazine was your and now mine as well, gift to the hobby and it's community. What it truly is though, is the communities gift to itself. We all know it feels good to give :anibad: It's even better to be able to share :)

I just subscribed. I am looking forward to doing some reading - lots of great articles it looks like!

Thanks for keeping this alive catsnfish! :laughing:

I sign up and it told me I hadn't put my email. I went back and put my email address. I got a message thanking me for joining. It said you can login now. When I tried to login I got an error message. I finely gave up and tried to register again. This time it wouldn't let me use the email I had used the first. So I put a different email address. I got all the same error messages of the first. What am I doing wrong?

I just subscribed. I am looking forward to doing some reading - lots of great articles it looks like!

Thanks for keeping this alive catsnfish! :laughing:

I sign up and it told me I hadn't put my email. I went back and put my email address. I got a message thanking me for joining. It said you can login now. When I tried to login I got an error message. I finely gave up and tried to register again. This time it wouldn't let me use the email I had used the first. So I put a different email address. I got all the same error messages of the first. What am I doing wrong?

I have sent you an E-mail. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I will get it corrected!

Thanks for letting me know!

catsnfish

I should add that we use Subscriptions only to notify of new content. There is no charge to subscribe and you do not need to log on to read the magazine. The service used for publication requires the password fields to be filled out for subscribers, but since the Online Geocacher is free you don't need to sign in to access all of the articles.

catsnfish

I'm in the process of reorganizing the magazine some, adding new departments etc. no content has been removed just shuffled around some, so if you were in the middle of the Serial Finder series.....Don't panic!! It's now in the Mystery Caching department. There is also a Benchmarking dept just begging for new content as well.

any feedback or suggestions on the magazine layout is welcome.

Geocacher online magazine is now in Greece too! :laughing:

My first story, both in greek and english is published! I hope you will enjoy reading it!!! :D

More stories to follow!!! :D

Hey! Everything you will read is true! It really happent!!! I am still laughing with that! Oh boy.... ;)

Come on!!! Read enjoy and why not, post your adventures too!!! :cool:

Are there plans to utilize the upcoming events section? Right now there appears to be nothing listed.

The Online Geocacher depends totally on your submissions!

We invite all geocachers to submit any sort of content related in any way to geocaching, but have no staff of writers creating content.

This magazine truly is BY geocachers!

There is nothing in the events section because no one has submitted event info.

Send it and we will publish it!

After giving the event page some thought, I have decided to post Mega Events when I am notified of them.

Other events will have to be submitted to be listed, as TheAlabamaRambler has stated, the magazine is By geocachers. We will gladly list your events and happily post your stories or reviews of events. Share your event, it's stories and photographs with cachers from around the world.

Geocaching is about connecting with others, through events, geocoins, travel bugs and the caches themselves. We share our experiences, our enjoyment, through cache logs, photographs and here in the forums. The Online Geocacher is an extension of those connections. Reach out to your fellow cachers.

catsnfish

Hi :)

I'm interested in contributing to this, but your links in posts #1 and #11 don't seem to be working for me.

I tried googling "online geocacher" and got "Ooops, this link appears to be broken" :D

Can you repair it?... stick it back together again?...

I hear duck/duct tape's good :D

MrsB :)

Hi :)

I'm interested in contributing to this, but your links in posts #1 and #11 don't seem to be working for me.

I tried googling "online geocacher" and got "Ooops, this link appears to be broken" :D

Can you repair it?... stick it back together again?...

I hear duck/duct tape's good :D

MrsB :)

We certainly want your stories, so let me know if you need help.

The http://onlinegeocacher.com link works for me, and a Google search of "online geocacher" brings it up as the first item in the search results, so I dunno what may be the problem.

We've received several new articles in the last week, so there's nothing wrong with the site.

Call or write me if it still doesn't work and we'll figure it out!

Ed

TheAlabamaRambler@gmail.com

205-914-6814

Thanks, mfamilee and TAR ...

The links you give in your posts didn't work for me either so it must be something broken at our end. :D

I've consulted my resident PC consultant (MrB :D ) about this and he says it's probably due to some "DNS issue" with our broadband provider and he'll get them to sort it soon.

We'll ask them to get out the duck tape...

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

Thanks, mfamilee and TAR ...

The links you give in your posts didn't work for me either so it must be something broken at our end. :D

I've consulted my resident PC consultant (MrB :) ) about this and he says it's probably due to some "DNS issue" with our broadband provider and he'll get them to sort it soon.

We'll ask them to get out the duck tape...

MrsB

I go away for a day and what happens? :D

I do hope that you get your issues sorted and wrapped up.

I'll look forward to your submission and am certain it will be entertaining! I've heard the Welsh have a rare wit that is quite delicious! :)

(did I get the correct consonant there? The Welsh language uses so many consonants I may have used a wrong one :) )

I've consulted my resident PC consultant

Otay, you've given me an education here. Don't ya hate it when that happens? :D

I've never been clear on what the www part of the address does... for some reason when I set up that site I didn't use it and have never thought of it since.

I just tried it and the site renders quite differently (better!) under Firefox when I include www in the URL... who knew?

Try it using the www part of the URL -

http://www.onlinegeocacher.com

I don't know, some browsers may require the www part.

Now that I know that it works better (the page formats properly) with www than without it I will start using it when I post the link. I thought it looked funky under Firefox because Firefox was doing it wrong... turns out it was me, who'da thunk it?

Edit to add: I just tried it with and without the www on my other website, http://w4aga.com or http://www.w4aga.com and it appears to make no difference on that site or on my forum at http://w4aga.com/forums or http://www.w4aga.com/forums - the sites look the same whether I use the www or not... so, I dunno, all I can suggest is try it and see! :)

Edit again to add: So I looked it up and this is the answer I get - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question180.htm

But I don't trust that answer since the magazine does look different using www than it does without it, so there's more than address naming going on here.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Thanks Ed! There was a duplicate photo that my wife was seeing on the laptop but I couldn't see on my desktop in either the publisher or the magazine. I opened both in IE instead of firefox and there it was and I got it fixed.

now to figure out which browser will be best to work out of and stick to it. :D

A contribution is on its way across the Pond this evening. It should be landing in the Editor's In tray....

.... about now.

MrsB ;)

Great story and pictures Mrs B! Thank you! :D

And thanks to Sioneva, Rockin' Roddy and all of you who have submitted content.

2oldfarts (the rockhounders) submitted a must-read story about being FTF on a benchmark lost after placement in 1956!

Geocachers are really growing The Online Geocacher... lots of new stories have been posted.

Catsnfish got the subscription function working too; no cost or junk mail, just an email to alert subscribers when a new article is posted.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Thanks Shirley!

I'm enjoying bringing the magazine to everyone as well and I get really excited whenever I have new content to publish!!

There are so many triumphs and oopsies, beautiful places and clever hides, humor and wit, people and smiles to be shared from all over the world and on so many different topics covered under the broad roof of "Geocaching" and I have the pleasure of bringing them together through the magazine.

Thanks to all of our authors, new and old, keep your submissions coming in. Encourage others to send in contributions also. Share the fun!

A while back in this thread we talked about The Online Geocacher not formatting properly in some browsers, and whether we used www in the URL seemed to make a difference. It did for me, didn't for others.

I had noticed that when I opened www.onlinegeocacher.com the magazine looks fine, but if I leave out the www and open onlinegeocacher.com it was larger and extended off the right side of the screen.

Well, that's weird, because the only difference when using www or not in a URL is how the server redirects your browser... it should make no difference whatsoever in appearance.

So over the last few months I have exchanged emails with the tech support folks at PressPublisher, who really have tried to figure it out with no success.

Yesterday the owner of the company called me and we spent about two hours trying different things, modifying the style sheet, exchanging screen shots, trying something else, etc. He was really bending over backward trying to solve this issue.

So, frustrated and out of ideas he finally says "Try hitting CTRL -"...

Shazam! Solved!

At some point in the past when connected to onlinegeocacher.com I had hit CTRL + or selected the Edit > Zoom command. My cat sleeps on my keyboard from time to time and that has sometimes interesting results, so I will blame it on him.

Evidently Firefox remembers the zoom setting that you use for every website, and as far as Firefox is concerned www.onlinegeocacher.com is a different address, thus it appeared 'zoomed' without the www and normal with it.

Who knew? I sure didn't!

How embarrassing... I was convinced that it was something wrong on their end, and they were interested enough in helping that they invested hours working on it. Ooops! :grin:

So, if you are having the same problem, there's the answer!

Thank goodness for this video... it's why I don't feel like the world's dumbest putz... this guy is!

http://xmb.stuffucanuse.com/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=6138

What would you do for a Moun10Bike coin? Check out the tale and wonderful pictures of two geocachers who drove through three countries to find one!

This and lots more new stories in The Online Geocacher. Subscribe to get an email when new content is published.

Free, and all about geocachers. Share YOUR stories!

Newest stories:

Unexpected Danger While Geocaching

Cache and Splash

Things Change

What Would You Do To Get A Moun10Bike Geocoin?

EarthTrek

The Online Geocacher Magazine had 2 problems crop up with the last newsletter sent out to subscribers.

Subscribers may have noticed a formatting problem and we're working at identifying my mistake and doing a better looking job next time :unsure:

The other problem and it is a big one, is that.. it ... was ... sent out too soon!

Since the newsletter 3 more articles have been published. Mrs. B of the Blorenges hosts an event in Cache notes from a small island (II) where a good time was had by all! Two new authors have submitted stories as well, Error's Geo Adventures leads us on a journey of imagination through the lands of the Lord of the Rings in "The Treasure of Rohan". Mimi Barrison of M&M Melted leads a posse looking for adventure and Ed Watson in the Florida Everglades in "Florida Geocaching Classics: Ed Watson Was a Bad Man"

Again my apologies for the formatting glitches, I'll be doing my best to keep things neater and easier to read in the next newsletters. I am thrilled that we had the second problem though :P and I hope it becomes an ongoing problem as well :);) Enjoy the new content! I certainly have.

From the Publisher... new stories!

Well, we had a bit of a dry spell, but this weekend poured out stories!

MrsB reviews a unique Geocaching event in the U.K. and we meet the dashing Colonel H. George Cachington in "What a marvelous thing you have here! 'allo?" Geo.Error shows us that if it doesn't come easy, you gotta keep plugging at it! and speaking of plugs, I put one in for EarthCaches too.

EarthCaches

by Catsnfish

Struggling with a multi-cache.

by Error's Geo Adventures

What a marvelous thing you have here! allo?

by The Internet (from the Geocoin discussions forum)

Cache notes from a small island (III)

by MrsB of the Blorenges

The Online Geocacher

Coin Match: The Cointest

Somewhere within The Online Geocacher magazine there are 6 pics of half-geocoins; they could be hidden anywhere!

When you match all 3 full coins (6 halves) identify the geocoin and the article or page where you found each half.

eMail your answers and caching name to the published cointest link.

Feel free to tell of an article or story that caught your interest during your search.

Winner will be selected by random drawing from all correct entries and will choose one of the hidden coins as the prize.

The Cointest will end November 28th at Midnight CST and while you may enter only once, incorrect entries will be notified and given a chance to correct their entry.

The cointest will be open to all geocachers except the volunteer staff of this magazine. Any pics of full coins or coins shown in the pics of WOA TB's are not correct answers for this Cointest.

Take your time and enjoy your search!

The Online Geocacher http://www.onlinegeocacher.com