Add ability to log temp caches at events...

Knight2000

Short and simple answer to your Question is to put this in the listing at the top and to say it again at the event:

" We will have temporary caches available for you to search for if you would like to. Any temp caches you find are not loggable. These caches do not adhere to the Groundspeak Guidelines for placing caches, that's why they are temporary. They are for fun only. You do not have to find them if you do not want to.

Multiple Attended logs placed on the event because you found some temporary caches will be deleted. "

This will stop them from logging the event more then once. If they don't like this rule you are enacting then they don't have to come.

You are hosting the event so any rules you want to have other then what Groundspeak has mandated for events is fine. If another cacher says that "at there events its fine" then that is there right to do it that way.

On the down side to doing this, if you have logged a event multiple times, you will catch some flack for not allowing it at yours.

Since the temp caches aren't held up to the same guidelines used for real caches...
What's a "real cache?"

It's a cache. It was found. 'Nuff said.

This is why, almost by definition, that nearly everyone's find count is wrong.

What do YOU think is a real cache?
A container with a logbook and trinkets, and its location is described using clues, some of which are grid coordinates, and then given to another in some way in order for them to attempt to find said container.

A cache PUBLISHED and LISTED on the GC site is a REAL cache and counts as a REAL find on the GC site. Any other ones (terracache etc) are not loggable since not listed, therefore, not a REAL GC cache!

It's NOT a cache, it's a container placed to be used as a way to give people something to do while attending an event. The fact you need to log the "find" on the attended means it's not real due to it not having the numbers! When you buy genuine HD parts for your motorcycle, is it OK if the "genuine parts" come in a box with Taiwanese labeling and are an obvious knock-off? Nuff said! :(

Even if that vehicle doesn't have a "Harley Davidson" label on it doesn't mean it's not a "real" motorcycle. :o I just smilie and continue to ride my "fake" motorcycle.

Nice skirting around the question....so it's ok for you if the store just throws in any old knock-off part and call it a genuine HD part? I SERIOUSLY doubt this!

I am always amused by the righteous indignation over the possibility that someone might use the 'Found It' log (or in this case the 'Attended' log) to log a cache that the puritan would not count as find. Is anyone holding a gun to the puritan's head and forcing them to log multiple 'Attended' logs when they find temporary event caches? No. You are free to keep your find count as "correct" as you deem fit. You seem to worry too much about other people's find counts.

To further the motorcycle analogy, perhaps most Harley-Davidson owners would never consider putting an aftermarket brand part made in Taiwan on their Harley when there are good genuine American parts available. Perhaps they even ridicule those Harley owners who put aftermarket parts on their bikes. But do they really tell someone, "if you use an aftermarket part then you can no longer call your bike a Harley"? Perhaps they do. My guess is that their opinion isn't going to keep anyone who wants to use an aftermarket part from using it.

Why is there not equal indignation over the people who find a cache that is listed on Geocaching.com with its own GC number yet for one reason or another don't log it online. Clearly TPTB intend for you to log every find or they wouldn't have made it a rule to "Log your experience at www.geocaching.com." Where is the outcry that the find counts are wrong because some people aren't logging all their finds.

First, who do you consider a puritan? I am all for prople doing as they please when finding a cache. PAF, no problem. Go in groups, no problem. Don't sign the logbook, just describe the location to me. HOWEVER, with every example I posted, the caches were REAL, not temp caches.

Imagine we're watching a hockey game where someone shoots the puck, misses the goal but starts celebrating anyways....he only missed by a foot, so it's good to go since he feels there's a TEMP goal just beside the real one. Do you think others in the game will see it the same (even if it was just a "FOR FUN" backyard kid's game)?

Temp caches ARE NOT listed...anywhere. Events are, but then you log an ATTENDED because you actually attended the event, which is listed, on this site. Can you show me ANY temp caches listed here??

Umm... I believe this the reason for this very thread.

An event organizer could very well place a few temporary event caches (TEC) and list them under children. There's no reason to review and publish them separately as they are temporary. Then finders could log finds on the event page. I think this is what the OP is getting at.

Events used to be logged as finds. That could be added back so these TEC could be logged as finds.

Short and simple answer to your Question is to put this in the listing at the top and to say it again at the event:

" We will have temporary caches available for you to search for if you would like to. Any temp caches you find are not loggable. These caches do not adhere to the Groundspeak Guidelines for placing caches, that's why they are temporary. They are for fun only. You do not have to find them if you do not want to.

Multiple Attended logs placed on the event because you found some temporary caches will be deleted. "

This will stop them from logging the event more then once. If they don't like this rule you are enacting then they don't have to come.

You are hosting the event so any rules you want to have other then what Groundspeak has mandated for events is fine. If another cacher says that "at there events its fine" then that is there right to do it that way.

On the down side to doing this, if you have logged a event multiple times, you will catch some flack for not allowing it at yours.

AND, if attendees feel so strongly that they deserve the smilies, suggest they should log them on THEIR OWN CACHE(S). Nothing wrong with that, eh?

I wonder why I don't deserve a few smilies for all the summit registers I have found and signed over the years... :(

If the OP wanted to avoid the abuse and the inevitable outcry, don't hide temp caches, really quite simple!

That is what I am leaning toward. I would like to have an activity of some sort and this seems to be standard. Need to think more i suppose.

I am always amused by the righteous indignation over the possibility that someone might use the 'Found It' log (or in this case the 'Attended' log) to log a cache that the puritan would not count as find. Is anyone holding a gun to the puritan's head and forcing them to log multiple 'Attended' logs when they find temporary event caches? No. You are free to keep your find count as "correct" as you deem fit. You seem to worry too much about other people's find counts.

I am not concerned about find counts! I find caches all the time and log them as notes. I would like to see a [somewhat] accurate number of people that attend events. Our first event. If I look at other local events I may see 200 handles attended. Did they really? No. I simply would like an accurate attended log without seeing the cache page clogged with cachers that attended 12 times.

It would also make me even more unpopular than I already am. Something I would like to avoid.

AND, if attendees feel so strongly that they deserve the smilies, suggest they should log them on THEIR OWN CACHE(S). Nothing wrong with that, eh?

I wonder why I don't deserve a few smilies for all the summit registers I have found and signed over the years... :(

Play the game however you want. If you think you deserve a smile then you do. :ph34r:

If the OP wanted to avoid the abuse and the inevitable outcry, don't hide temp caches, really quite simple!

That is what I am leaning toward. I would like to have an activity of some sort and this seems to be standard. Need to think more i suppose.

Give them a closest-to-the-pin contest, maybe set up a scavenger hunt (either with items hidden in area caches or just make a list of crazy things people might or might not have, I've done this a few times and it's fun) or some other games. If you can't place real caches, ask locals if they'd like to (if the park permits caches of course), then the cache hunters can log actual caches and you won't have to worry about the event page! :(

JEEZE! The obvious answer! How did I miss that? :(

The point was that I don't deserve a smilie for summit logs any more than I do for temp caches at an event.

I'm sure you knew that... :ph34r: