Add ability to log temp caches at events...

Knight2000

This may have been discussed before but I haven't seen it and wouldn't know what to search... It would be nice for cachers to be able to log temp caches separately on an event page.

It seems now there are two options if an event has temp caches. These have been debated many times and it varies from area to area. If there are temp caches at an event...

1) Log the event as attended.

2) Log the event as attended over and over.

Since you can't attend the same event over and over (in most circumstances) it would be nice if there was an option for this. It would be nice to view an event page and see that 20 people attended, not 200.

This may have been discussed before but I haven't seen it and wouldn't know what to search... It would be nice for cachers to be able to log temp caches separately on an event page.

It seems now there are two options if an event has temp caches. These have been debated many times and it varies from area to area. If there are temp caches at an event...

Since you can't attend the same event over and over (in most circumstances) it would be nice if there was an option for this. It would be nice to view an event page and see that 20 people attended, not 200.

Since the temp caches aren't held up to the same guidelines used for real caches, why should someone be able to log their finds of these?? Temp caches are not loggable because they wouldn't fit in the guidelines in several possible ways (permanece is just one, but the most important).

What would be better is if people would hide actual caches for those visiting the event, then they can log the finds! Now, some will say they can't hide caches in the park they use etc...then reward parks that DO allow caches instead of rewarding those who don't return the favor for cachers!

Why would you care?? Nobody cares about the numbers anymore. Didn't you get the memo???

OK. Who's got the can of worms? :anibad:

Yeah, this topic has reared its head many times but most notably when the whole "pocket cache" thing came up. I'm sure someone can Markwell one or more of the threads.

The last word from the Great Frog was to, if the event owner approves (and should say so in the event description if that is the case), log multiple "Attended" logs to get your find count for any event-specific temporary caches.

One event one smiley. Temporary event caches are just entertainment for the event.

I seldom do much caching at an event. For me it is a time to socialize with fellow cachers. Put faces to names and personalities to logs.

I don't know, seems like the informal process works well enough for the people who want to log temp caches.

I think it's fine decriminalized. It's not formally legal but no one is going to get punished for doing it from time to time.

Edited by BlueDeuce
Why would you care?? Nobody cares about the numbers anymore. Didn't you get the memo???

I don't care about numbers, but this isn't necessarily about me.

One event one smiley. Temporary event caches are just entertainment for the event.

I seldom do much caching at an event. For me it is a time to socialize with fellow cachers. Put faces to names and personalities to logs.

We are holding our first event. Around these parts logging the event many times is standard. I just can't bring myself to post two or more logs that say "attended". If I am watching an event the next day I get dozens and dozens if not hundreds of logs. (From logging over and over.)

If I host an event and have temp caches or something similar then people will most definitely want to log the event multiple times. I don't really want that. I am trying to find a happy medium without upsetting lots of folks. If they could just get their smileys and it didn't mess with the # that attended i would feel better. I'd just have to have 23 handles come and get logged 176 times. Maybe I could just have them log another local cache [of mine] many times and not mess with the event page...

I'm kind of walking on eggshells i suppose. I just need to brainstorm for activities.

I just need to brainstorm for activities.

I hold events that center around getting together and finding those caches people don't want to or can't attempt on their own. (e.g. scaling down a cliff wall without a spotter). Of course the event is getting together to discuss caching and have breakfast/lunch/dinner. Before and after is getting caches.

If I'm holding an event we're going someplace where I can try for ones already in place.

Nope, they aren't caches listed on geocaching.com, so I see no reason to create a log type for them.

If people are so concerned about increasing a smiley count for things not listed here, then it's between them and the cache owner (the event host in this case).

I think it's goofy to log an event multiple times for an activity you're doing as part of the event, but if the cache owner doesn't care, whatever.

I just need to brainstorm for activities.

I hold events that center around getting together and finding those caches people don't want to or can't attempt on their own. (e.g. scaling down a cliff wall without a spotter). Of course the event is getting together to discuss caching and have breakfast/lunch/dinner. Before and after is getting caches.

If I'm holding an event we're going someplace where I can try for ones already in place.

Our event is centered around a 7 part series of historic caches that are soon to be placed. It is a totally cool location. It will be in the evening and end with a bonfire and s'mores.

There is one cache there that will be rated 4.5 in difficulty I think. You can do it alone but I wouldn't recommend it! Hopefully some cachers will like that.

We are holding our first event. Around these parts logging the event many times is standard. I just can't bring myself to post two or more logs that say "attended". If I am watching an event the next day I get dozens and dozens if not hundreds of logs. (From logging over and over.)

If I host an event and have temp caches or something similar then people will most definitely want to log the event multiple times. I don't really want that. I am trying to find a happy medium without upsetting lots of folks. If they could just get their smileys and it didn't mess with the # that attended i would feel better. I'd just have to have 23 handles come and get logged 176 times. Maybe I could just have them log another local cache [of mine] many times and not mess with the event page...

I'm kind of walking on eggshells i suppose. I just need to brainstorm for activities.

This has been a problem for some time, longer than I've been caching. Around here it is becoming popular to hide permanent caches and ask the reviewer to publish them the day of the event. It takes a bit of prior planning and coordination with your reviewer. One bit of advice if you go this way, print of a bunch of copies of the coords and any info needed to find the cache to hand out at the event. The down side is that some FTF hounds may get POed about who got to claim the FTF and how. No matter what you do someone is gonna be unhappy. Oh well. Do your best and have a good time.

Perhaps you could expand on your temp cache logging idea.

Maybe something with the Additional Waypoints?

I am not following. Have a long multi? I appreciate any ideas though!

I'd rather see a change just the opposite...so that one account could log a cache or event once and only once.

I would like that too but it won't happen. Even a "found it" log would be ok with me. It's just that little "attended" bugger.

Our event is centered around a 7 part series of historic caches that are soon to be placed. It is a totally cool location. It will be in the evening and end with a bonfire and s'mores.

There is one cache there that will be rated 4.5 in difficulty I think. You can do it alone but I wouldn't recommend it! Hopefully some cachers will like that.

Tell event attendees that these caches will be listed on the site eventually and they can log their finds on them at that time. People place caches for events all the time, they ask the reviewer to give the OK for the cache and then keep it on hold until after the event. They pass out pages at the event, let people find it at the event, then the reviewer lists the cache after the event is over. It is a great solution. The paper gives the event attendee the GC number to look for later.

Tell event attendees that these caches will be listed on the site eventually and they can log their finds on them at that time. People place caches for events all the time, they ask the reviewer to give the OK for the cache and then keep it on hold until after the event. They pass out pages at the event, let people find it at the event, then the reviewer lists the cache after the event is over. It is a great solution. The paper gives the event attendee the GC number to look for later.

How do you work that for the FTF hounds? Maybe I could hand out boxing gloves. That is an idea...

Sorry, Roddy, but I have seen some amazing "temp" caches at events. Some of them have become permanent caches, some of them have not simply because they are too "in your face" to survive long as permanent caches.

That said, I only did that twice, when I was new to the actvity and was told that it was acceptable by someone that I now knows lies awake at night trying to think up ways to break the rules. I'd remove those from my stats, but it would take too much time, mess up some very important milestones, and besides, who's watching my stats besides me? If that.

You're not from Wisconsin, are you? :lol:

Seriously, I think that temp caches deserve temp smileys.

Wisconsin and Ohio! :laughing:

I feel like the majority of temp caches are just logging stations. To me that isn't caching.

I don't mind the smileys, the numbers, or any of that. It's just the multiple attended logs. What is wrong with me. <_<B):wacko:

I hail from an area (somewhat near you), where it's about half and half whether multiple attended logs are allowed or not. "Allowed", meaning it's all up the the event host whether or not to allow them, and that's always been the stance of TPTB at Geocaching.com. So just host an event where there are no multiple attended logs allowed. :laughing: Probably not as easy as it sounds though, I'm guessing.

There is nothing 'wrong' with you. You are thinking clearly while many others are missing the point.

If I were in your shoes, I would break this so-called tradition clearly and completely in my cache event write-up.

Make a statement and stand up for what you believe.

If the numbers HOs don't want to attend if they can't get 20 extra :laughing: for it, would their attendance really add to the quality of the event?

There is nothing 'wrong' with you. You are thinking clearly while many others are missing the point.

If I were in your shoes, I would break this so-called tradition clearly and completely in my cache event write-up.

If the numbers HOs don't want to attend if they can't get 20 extra :laughing: for it, would their attendance really add to the quality of the event?

Exactly, stop feeding the numbers hos and break the cycle! People will do whatever they can get away with, let them know they won't be allowed multiple attended logs and enforce it, maybe people will start to understand that these temps are only that, temps and not caches! This problem obviously started when someone allowed this, a shame people need to stretch the bounderies....man up and do it the way YOU want it to be done, and hold your head high knowing you stuck to your guns!

And Knowschad, I understand what you're saying, but wonder why anyone would place temp caches if real caches are allowed? Place and publish real caches and this too would stop the temp cache problem! Or, place the caches and publish them on an alternate site so you don't run into the GC guidelines!

Snip...just to shorten things up a bit...

This problem obviously started when someone allowed this, a shame people need to stretch the boundaries....

Actually, there was a time when those types of caches (lasting for a limited amount of time) were published...many, of which (from my understanding...) were centered around events caches. So, when short-term/temporary caches were no longer going to be published (one of the main reasons was about reviewer time spent on such short term caches) the "logical" transition was to logging those caches on the event pages...

Sure, the Powers-That-Be call it silly, but obviously don't view it as an abuse of the systems in place (else, programming would have been put into place by now to do what others have suggested...one GC=one smile)...

Probably not as easy as it sounds though, I'm guessing.

Exactly, stop feeding the numbers hos and break the cycle! People will do whatever they can get away with, let them know they won't be allowed multiple attended logs and enforce it, maybe people will start to understand that these temps are only that, temps and not caches! This problem obviously started when someone allowed this, a shame people need to stretch the bounderies....man up and do it the way YOU want it to be done, and hold your head high knowing you stuck to your guns!

It is so common and I have already stepped on a lot of toes, I wouldn't dare to try it.

I may go the way MTN-MAN said. I'd hate to see 15 people searching for caches at the same time. Again that doesn't seem like caching.

I meant to add that many regular caches seem like logging stations too (in addition to temp caches). I guess i missed that in my previous post.

If they are so busy running around finding a bunch of other caches how can they be participating at the event? Perhaps they shouldn't even be logging one attended. Just a thought

At a local event this year they are having temp caches. This are not to be logged but if you find the cache you are entered into a raffle for prizes. I think that is a good use of a temp cache.

That is an interesting idea. How will the organizer know if someone found a temp cache? Retrieve each cache at the end?

Suggestions on prizes? I would do ammo cans but my last set of caches took all I had. I have none and there are no upcoming gun shows to buy more.

I can buy coins and TB's... What else?

Edited by Knight2000

...Since the temp caches aren't held up to the same guidelines used for real caches, why should someone be able to log their finds of these?? Temp caches are not loggable because they...

Good question.

The answer solves both problems, yours and the OP.

Since we have "abuse" of the Even cache log to do this anyway. They can create a sub log type for events. "Event Cache"

Event Cache smilies would quicly become the red headed stepchild of the caching world as well they should. BUT they wouldn't be a real found it log, they would be fix the "I atteneded this event 299 times" problem.

Then cachers could look at someones stats and see "Hey they have 4 regular finds, and 1000 event cache finds." then they can think to themselves "Man what a loser".

Though I'll put my easter egg scramle find up agasing anybody's numbers cache run. Man what a day. I've never been so tired bruised and bloody after a day of caching in my life. When I said find, though it's only logged as "attended".

At a local event this year they are having temp caches. This are not to be logged but if you find the cache you are entered into a raffle for prizes. I think that is a good use of a temp cache.

That is an interesting idea. How will the organizer know if someone found a temp cache? Retrieve each cache at the end?

Suggestions on prizes? I would do ammo cans but my last set of caches took all I had. I have none and there are no upcoming gun shows to buy more.

I can buy coins and TB's... What else?

Loc-n-locs

cache labels

batteries

Look through your caching gear. Have something you find particularly useful? Someone else may find one of them a good prize.

That is an interesting idea. How will the organizer know if someone found a temp cache? Retrieve each cache at the end? (snip)

We cachers in Western and Central NY have total integrity - trust us, that is our motto. :laughing: I imagine yes they would collect the log books or perhaps a ticket in each cache that you have to turn in? Not sure, good question.

Since the temp caches aren't held up to the same guidelines used for real caches...

What's a "real cache?"

It's a cache. It was found. 'Nuff said.

This is why, almost by definition, that nearly everyone's find count is wrong.

What do YOU think is a real cache? A cache PUBLISHED and LISTED on the GC site is a REAL cache and counts as a REAL find on the GC site. Any other ones (terracache etc) are not loggable since not listed, therefore, not a REAL GC cache!

It's NOT a cache, it's a container placed to be used as a way to give people something to do while attending an event. The fact you need to log the "find" on the attended means it's not real due to it not having the numbers! When you buy genuine HD parts for your motorcycle, is it OK if the "genuine parts" come in a box with Taiwanese labeling and are an obvious knock-off? Nuff said! :(

Snip...just to shorten things up a bit...

This problem obviously started when someone allowed this, a shame people need to stretch the boundaries....

Actually, there was a time when those types of caches (lasting for a limited amount of time) were published...many, of which (from my understanding...) were centered around events caches. So, when short-term/temporary caches were no longer going to be published (one of the main reasons was about reviewer time spent on such short term caches) the "logical" transition was to logging those caches on the event pages...

Sure, the Powers-That-Be call it silly, but obviously don't view it as an abuse of the systems in place (else, programming would have been put into place by now to do what others have suggested...one GC=one smile)...

In other words, the PTB (who had allowed this) said enough but people couldn't live with that and stretched the bounderies (found the "logical" way to falsely claim a find). GC has stated there are reasons for leaving the "loophole" open (no "one GC+ one smiley" rule).

...Since the temp caches aren't held up to the same guidelines used for real caches, why should someone be able to log their finds of these?? Temp caches are not loggable because they...

Good question.

The answer solves both problems, yours and the OP.

Since we have "abuse" of the Even cache log to do this anyway. They can create a sub log type for events. "Event Cache"

Event Cache smilies would quicly become the red headed stepchild of the caching world as well they should. BUT they wouldn't be a real found it log, they would be fix the "I atteneded this event 299 times" problem.

Then cachers could look at someones stats and see "Hey they have 4 regular finds, and 1000 event cache finds." then they can think to themselves "Man what a loser".

Though I'll put my easter egg scramle find up agasing anybody's numbers cache run. Man what a day. I've never been so tired bruised and bloody after a day of caching in my life. When I said find, though it's only logged as "attended".

Yes, and maybe we should just give drug abusers the drug they crave. Just because people think it's OK doesn't mean TPTB should bend over backwards to make their abuses legit.

Probably not as easy as it sounds though, I'm guessing.

It is so common and I have already stepped on a lot of toes, I wouldn't dare to try it.

I may go the way MTN-MAN said. I'd hate to see 15 people searching for caches at the same time. Again that doesn't seem like caching.

I meant to add that many regular caches seem like logging stations too (in addition to temp caches). I guess i missed that in my previous post.

Maybe you should read some of the logs from caches found at my LHD III event. It seems that a group of upwards of 30 cachers formed to find some of these caches....and had a BLAST! Caching is for the fun, for the friends and for the adventures. This group called themselves a team name and continued on, making more finds and having more fun!

When you need to make up finds purely to pad your numbers, it's not caching. Instead of finding tupperware, what if they started counting the sticks they broke while walking about at the event? Maybe someone who saw 30 birds should then be allowed to count those as finds? What about counting the charcoal briquettes used to cook the hotdogs? Hey, count the hotdogs too...and the buns and the.... :(

As for regular caches seeming like logging stations...you can filter real caches with the tools found on the listing site (where the real caches are listed) to sort out what you would enjoy finding. If you don't enjoy a find, post a note stating your dislike (if this floats your boat lol) or just don't log it at all. You don't have to log the finds if you don't want to, but you shouldn't "make up" a find.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Perhaps make your temp caches "worth something else" at your event. If someone completes all of the temp caches, they receive additional raffle tickets or something else.

Someone posed how you check on whether they visited. Place unique stamps in each cache and have a stamp book with the temp caches listed. If they are too small for stamps use codewords and the like.

Yes I'm from Wisconsin. And no, the WGA no longer allows or condones or allows multiple event attended logs for WGA held events. However, we are working on ways to "make it count" in some way other than "numbers".

Of course people work around all of this by creating there own permanent caches that allow multiple logs for temp caches logged at events.. it takes all kinds I guess.

I agree that events on the website should allow logging temps but NOT as numbers/smileys for your personal find count but more for tracking what you did at the event, telling others who attended and hid temp caches what you thought of the various caches, etc. Right now, if you log a single attend log, it will get big noting info on each temp cache if your team does 30 temp caches at an event. Along with adding these types of logs, allow watchlist to include event temp cache logs or not to filter those out for watchers. I think it would be a good addition to the website but not for the same reasons that the numbers people want it...

Temp caches should not count in your find count but it would be great to get more functionality behind an event cache listing. Adding temp caches as waypoints that can not only be downloaded but logged as found, and tracking on which temp caches were found and how many times, etc.

Have fun with your event and temp/perm caches...

Perhaps make your temp caches "worth something else" at your event. If someone completes all of the temp caches, they receive additional raffle tickets or something else.

Someone posed how you check on whether they visited. Place unique stamps in each cache and have a stamp book with the temp caches listed. If they are too small for stamps use codewords and the like.

Yes I'm from Wisconsin. And no, the WGA no longer allows or condones or allows multiple event attended logs for WGA held events. However, we are working on ways to "make it count" in some way other than "numbers".

Of course people work around all of this by creating there own permanent caches that allow multiple logs for temp caches logged at events.. it takes all kinds I guess.

I agree that events on the website should allow logging temps but NOT as numbers/smileys for your personal find count but more for tracking what you did at the event, telling others who attended and hid temp caches what you thought of the various caches, etc. Right now, if you log a single attend log, it will get big noting info on each temp cache if your team does 30 temp caches at an event. Along with adding these types of logs, allow watchlist to include event temp cache logs or not to filter those out for watchers. I think it would be a good addition to the website but not for the same reasons that the numbers people want it...

Temp caches should not count in your find count but it would be great to get more functionality behind an event cache listing. Adding temp caches as waypoints that can not only be downloaded but logged as found, and tracking on which temp caches were found and how many times, etc.

Have fun with your event and temp/perm caches...

They do, it's called a Write Note log! :( The problem is, many would rather up their find count than use the tools already in place, writing a note isn't rewarding like a found log is, so they take the smiley even if it's a hollow find! As for the rest of your post, a real cache placed would be able to be logged just like you asked for, place real caches and leave the temp caches for teaching newbs at 101 classes etc.

If the OP wanted to avoid the abuse and the inevitable outcry, don't hide temp caches, really quite simple!

Edited by Rockin Roddy
Since the temp caches aren't held up to the same guidelines used for real caches...
What's a "real cache?"

It's a cache. It was found. 'Nuff said.

What do YOU think is a real cache?
A container with a logbook and trinkets, and its location is described using clues, some of which are grid coordinates, and then given to another in some way in order for them to attempt to find said container.

A cache PUBLISHED and LISTED on the GC site is a REAL cache and counts as a REAL find on the GC site. Any other ones (terracache etc) are not loggable since not listed, therefore, not a REAL GC cache!

It's NOT a cache, it's a container placed to be used as a way to give people something to do while attending an event. The fact you need to log the "find" on the attended means it's not real due to it not having the numbers! When you buy genuine HD parts for your motorcycle, is it OK if the "genuine parts" come in a box with Taiwanese labeling and are an obvious knock-off? Nuff said! :(

Even if that vehicle doesn't have a "Harley Davidson" label on it doesn't mean it's not a "real" motorcycle. :o I just smilie and continue to ride my "fake" motorcycle.

A cache PUBLISHED and LISTED on the GC site is a REAL cache and counts as a REAL find on the GC site. Any other ones (terracache etc) are not loggable since not listed, therefore, not a REAL GC cache!

Even if that vehicle doesn't have a "Harley Davidson" label on it doesn't mean it's not a "real" motorcycle. :o I just smilie and continue to ride my "fake" motorcycle.

There are many manufacturers of motorcycles just as there are many listing sites for geocaches.

I wouldn't install Suzuki parts on a Harley the same way I wouldn't log a terracache on geocaching.com.

Agreed. I figured out way back when I started that the numbers on peoples profiles mean nothing. There are so many different thoughts on what counts and what doesn't that the numbers can't mean the same thing to me that they mean to you. This makes them worthless.

If asked I will share my view on weather a cache should be logged as a find under such and such a situation. I won't expect anyone to listen and don't care if they do. I also don't delete logs except in the most blatant of situations. Obvious spoilers, you had thirty other finds 1000 miles away that day and I noticed, things like that.

Do I think that temporary caches should be logged? No. Do I give a rats keister if you do it? Nope.

The best advice on this whole deal is to NEVER watch an event listing. The emails will choke your ISP.

Do I think that temporary caches should be logged? No. Do I give a rats keister if you do it? Nope.

I absolutely do care and I will keep saying don't do it. This ain't no free-for-all.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's silly and all. Don't think it should be done. But I'll not loose sleep over it, or what some think of the value of the numbers. Seems so many of them are content to lie to each other. Keeps 'em busy at pub nights.

I absolutely do care and I will keep saying don't do it. This ain't no free-for-all.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's silly and all. Don't think it should be done. But I'll not loose sleep over it, or what some think of the value of the numbers. Seems so many of them are content to lie to each other. Keeps 'em busy at pub nights.

ayep.

I wouldn't install Suzuki parts on a Harley the same way I wouldn't log a terracache on geocaching.com.

Would you log a cache listed here and somewhere else? What not a temporary cache for an event listed here?

A cache is a cache. You log it where it's listed. Events listed here that have temporary caches I don't see the problem. No different than a cache that was meant to be permanent, but only lasted two days.

BTW, I always got the feeling that TPTB didn't want temporary caches listed because the return was not worth the effort. Why should a reviewer research and publish a cache that would only last for one day? What's the purpose of the review process to begin with? How would they stop unapprovable temporary caches? Once you start thinking about why something happens one can get a bit more insight into the reasoning.

Personally, I think the whole "smilie" thing built into the system should go away. On the other hand, I don't have the first problem with someone claiming they found a cache they actually found. If that means posting a find under the event it was part of, then so be it.

I am always amused by the righteous indignation over the possibility that someone might use the 'Found It' log (or in this case the 'Attended' log) to log a cache that the puritan would not count as find. Is anyone holding a gun to the puritan's head and forcing them to log multiple 'Attended' logs when they find temporary event caches? No. You are free to keep your find count as "correct" as you deem fit. You seem to worry too much about other people's find counts.

To further the motorcycle analogy, perhaps most Harley-Davidson owners would never consider putting an aftermarket brand part made in Taiwan on their Harley when there are good genuine American parts available. Perhaps they even ridicule those Harley owners who put aftermarket parts on their bikes. But do they really tell someone, "if you use an aftermarket part then you can no longer call your bike a Harley"? Perhaps they do. My guess is that their opinion isn't going to keep anyone who wants to use an aftermarket part from using it.

Why is there not equal indignation over the people who find a cache that is listed on Geocaching.com with its own GC number yet for one reason or another don't log it online. Clearly TPTB intend for you to log every find or they wouldn't have made it a rule to "Log your experience at www.geocaching.com." Where is the outcry that the find counts are wrong because some people aren't logging all their finds.