Crusie Caching

We recently got back from a fortnights cruise where we managed to find a cache in every port of call, 8 countries in 12 days, or 9 in 13 if you count good ole Blighty!

Some countries much easier than others, which caused us a bit of a sweat at times ... in Russia visa restrictions meant we had to stay with our guide ... and she wanted to go this way, the cache was of course that way ... got there in the end though! :anibad:

Copenhagen was about the simplest, although we have cached there before, there are so many caches it seemed like there was one on every corner!

Anyone else been cruise caching and how did you get on? (I recall when we were making some PQs prior to travel we saw one or two Brits had logged some of the same Baltic port caches).

My parents love cruising, and until earlier this year had found caches in the Carribean, the Med - you know - usual places, but then they decided to be a bit more adventurous, and took a cruise around SE Asia and Australia.

It's always muggins that has to plan their caches and the conversation went like this...

"do you have a few hours to spare?"

"er.... for what?"

"We need some caches planning for us"

"oh, yeah - fine, where are you going?"

SE Asia... can you do us caches for each port? and for a week in Sydney?"

"WHAT????? how much spare time do you think I have!!!!????"

Anyway - yes, they cached in Australia, hong kong, china, japan and guam.

If I have trouble sorting out caches - which I may well do now that Google Earth overlay's demise, I just contact a local cacher! They have been taken out in a couple of places, and obvioulsy done caches that they might not have done before.

Fantastic way of ticking off those countries... and in my mum's words...

Some people tick of COUNTIES, I tick off COUNTRIES!

We recently got back from a fortnights cruise where we managed to find a cache in every port of call, 8 countries in 12 days, or 9 in 13 if you count good ole Blighty!

Some countries much easier than others, which caused us a bit of a sweat at times ... in Russia visa restrictions meant we had to stay with our guide ... and she wanted to go this way, the cache was of course that way ... got there in the end though! :o

Copenhagen was about the simplest, although we have cached there before, there are so many caches it seemed like there was one on every corner!

Anyone else been cruise caching and how did you get on? (I recall when we were making some PQs prior to travel we saw one or two Brits had logged some of the same Baltic port caches).

A thread meant for us! - see our forum picture!

We went 'cruise caching' last summer in Norway, with successes in every port except one: Succeses (and the odd DNF) were recorded at Stavanger, Molde, Trondheim, Tromso, Bergen and Eidfjord. A mixture of easy and not quite so...Bergen and Tromso were most prolific, and Tromso in particular afforded spectacular views. Far from ruining a visti to a new destination ("why waste your time caching in such places?") we found that many caches were thoughtfully placed in interesting locations and we therefore used our pre-planned caching trails to actually enhance our visits. Our only disappointnment was at Ny Alesund, only 650 miles from the North Pole on Spitsbergen. Incredibly there is a cache only 500m from the landing jetty, at a disused mine, but the alleged risk of polar bears in the area meant that the site was off limits :( Still, the glacial scenery made up for it (no polar bears to be seen, but we did see Arctic foxes)

We're cruising again this summer, to Shetlands, Faroes, Iceland, Norway and Belgium, and hope to get at least one cache per port again

Pete and Sandra

Edited by Sharpeset

We are going on a cruise around the Med in August and I am planning to get caches where I can.

8 ports in 6 countries.

After a quick recce - some might be easier than others - I like a challenge (if the wife lets me !!)

I placed a cache in Nice (FR) around 4 years ago (actually the first in Nice) and eventually was found by a local policeman...

He is now caching (has taken over the maintenance of the cache) and has created a lot of other caches (and cachers). A great success...

Anyway link..

Nice View

Is a fantastic cache to grab which is near where the ship comes in.... enjoy

I logged "Nice View" a few years ago when it still belonged to HH; nice cache!

Douglas is a popular port for cruise ships, with a multitude of caches nearby. Some time ago I met up with a couple of Americans and took them for a quick caching tour, and they very kindly invited me back to their luxury suite on board for a bit of a feast afterwards!

This link is useful for identifying other ports (and nearby caches - there's a link to "nearby geocaches" on each port's page), and it would be handy if people would add to it if there are some missing.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

We fulfilled our ambition to go on a world cruise earlier this year (before we get too old!!!) I downloaded about 20 or so caches near the ports we were visiting before we left home. We managed to find at least one in each place visited where it was possible, except in Thailand where we were thwarted by muggles. We still had time to do some 'normal' sightseeing, but we saw a lot of local interest that isn't on the normal tourist trail. :( I hope you have a fantastic time

This link is useful for identifying other ports (and nearby caches - there's a link to "nearby geocaches" on each port's page), and it would be handy if people would add to it if there are some missing.

That;s a very interestng link, pity it is on the Waymarking site :(

Actually it has none of the Baltic ports we stopped at and part of the difficulty for us was working out exactly where the ship was going to dock before we left home. Sometimes it was obvious but in some ports it could have been in any one of several places.

We got paperwork on the details when on board but with wifi at 30p / minute not ideal. So with the ones I didn't know I had to set up PQs for a much wider area to make sure we got the nearest cache to wherever.

It certainly added another dimension to our stops in port and we managed to complete our goal of at least one at every stop even though we did some organised sightseeing too. On a couple of stops I actually introduced our guides to geocaching and shared with them something of their local area they hadn't heard about!

In some ports it was clear local cachers had made a real effort for visitors to enjoy a cache or two nearby and we really appreicated that.