Spam via travel bugs

Harry Caul

I planted my first cache (GC1R7FC) last week, and was pleased to find it hosting a travel bug within a few days. But I was surprised when I looked at the description to find it was really an ad for a commercial energy drink.

I won't link to the TB here (though you can find it on the GC1R7FC page) because I don't want to give the advertiser any more exposure.

I don't know whether this is against the rules, but all I can say is, ick!

I had a look.

:anibad:

Wow. I've never seen such a blatant bit of commercial advertising on a TB page before. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen any blatant commercial advertising on a TB page before, certainly not over here in U.K.

I'll be interested to see what others say about it. Perhaps it's not unusual over in U.S.A.?

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

I've never seen it, or heard of such a thing, before, which is why I posted here.

I think if it's not actually against the rules, it should certainly be regarded as socially unacceptable and rejected by the community. This kind of "astroturf" faux-guerrilla marketing, hijacking a wholesomely fun activity to pimp a commercial message, really, really burns me. The most effective way to discourage it is to not reward these products with our business or attention.

As someone who used to work at an online advertising agency all I can do is laugh at this campaign. I bet this cost the drink company a ton of money and when the campaign is done all they'll have to show for it is the negative post on this message board. I'll also go out on a limb and say that if the ad agency took the time to learn more about the people involved with geocaching they could have developed a campaign that actually engaged geocachers.

Of course there is nothing to say that this TB et al can't get spammed with "notes" from cachers in such a quantity that it would be annoying for the "owners" every time they open their email. B)

You don't need a TB code to post notes. <_<

So getting a bunch of people to view and log this spam bug would be exactly what the owner doesn't want? :laughing:

I say ignore it completely.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Of course there is nothing to say that this TB et al can't get spammed with "notes" from cachers in such a quantity that it would be annoying for the "owners" every time they open their email. B)

You don't need a TB code to post notes. :wacko:

So getting a bunch of people to view and log this spam bug would be exactly what the owner doesn't want? :laughing:

Ahh you take the fun out of everything. <_<

I must say, I am a bit confused. Just looked at some of them and have seen that everybody seems to treat them like any other travel bug, saying "happy to help it on its journey" etc. If I found such a "travelbug", I would post something like "I don't like it" or something similar. But nobody does??? Why???

Of course there is nothing to say that this TB et al can't get spammed with "notes" from cachers in such a quantity that it would be annoying for the "owners" every time they open their email. :ph34r:

You don't need a TB code to post notes. :P

So getting a bunch of people to view and log this spam bug would be exactly what the owner doesn't want? :(

BlueDeuce is in on it, too! By saying not to go and look at it....I WANT to do it....NOW!!

I think I would "retire" any bug I find like this. Sorry, but if you want me to do your advertising for you I'll need to be compensated. :ph34r:

It's not up to anyone but the TB owner to decide if their Travel Bug needs "retiring". Looks like the owner of these is also a cacher and the logs are all pretty much normal everyday travel bug logs.

I think I would "retire" any bug I find like this. Sorry, but if you want me to do your advertising for you I'll need to be compensated. :ph34r:

It's not up to anyone but the TB owner to decide if their Travel Bug needs "retiring". Looks like the owner of these is also a cacher and the logs are all pretty much normal everyday travel bug logs.

Fair enough.

Depends what your meaning of "retire" is. I read it the less literal why and understand the post. Replace "retire" with "checking out and not checking in again" and you get the idea.

I came across a TB that was pretty blatantly racist. My wife was upset by it and I still couldn't bring myself to retire it. It's not my property... Karma and all that....