Tracking program

Carbon Hunter

According to section 3 of the terms of use for the geocaching.com website people are not allowed to scrape data from the www.geocaching.com website:

3. License to Use Site; Restrictions

Groundspeak hereby grants You a non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license to view and use the Site in accordance with this Agreement and any guidelines or policies posted on the Site. Groundspeak reserves the right to suspend or revoke, in its sole discretion, the license hereunder and to prevent You from accessing all or any portion of the Site with or without notice or reason and without liability on the part of Groundspeak.

Groundspeak may change, suspend, or discontinue any portion of the Site, or any service offered on the Site, at any time, including but not limited to any feature, database, application, or content. Groundspeak may also impose limits on certain features offered on the Site with or without notice.

The Site and all content available on the Site are protected by applicable intellectual property laws, and are for personal and noncommercial use. All rights not expressly granted in this Agreement are reserved by Groundspeak or by the respective owners of the intellectual property rights. All materials available on or through the Site, other than Third Party Submissions (collectively, the "Site Materials") are the property of Groundspeak or of its licensors and are protected by copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property laws. Groundspeak reserves the right to impose additional terms and conditions upon Your use and viewing of particular Site Materials, and any such terms and conditions may be posted on the Site in connection with those Site Materials. You may not reproduce or retransmit the Site Materials, in whole or in part, in any manner, without the prior written consent of the owner of such materials, except as follows: You may make a single copy of the Site Materials solely for Your personal, noncommercial use, but such copying must be consistent with any applicable additional terms and conditions and You must preserve any copyright, trademark, or other notices contained in or associated with such Site Materials. You may not distribute such copies to others, whether or not in electronic form and whether or not for a charge or other consideration, without prior written consent of the owner of such materials. If you have any questions, contact us at contact@Groundspeak.com.

Subscription portions (if any) of the Site may contain additional terms and conditions applicable to use of that portion of the Site, including without limitation password usage and protection rules. If You subscribe to any service at this Site, You will be asked to agree to those terms and conditions as part of the subscription transaction, and those terms and conditions will be deemed incorporated into this Agreement by this reference.

And Varsgeld is right, the site allows you to watch a trackable you've found (or haven't found) and it maps it all out for you, and adds the mileage up, and holds the gallery of photos, and keeps track of all logs. Why go elsewhere?

And Varsgeld is right, the site allows you to watch a trackable you've found (or haven't found) and it maps it all out for you, and adds the mileage up, and holds the gallery of photos, and keeps track of all logs. Why go elsewhere?

I two would be interested in such a type of program / add on to the GC site.

I keep track on a spreadsheet for now how many coins I have discovered of each owner,

how many coin finds I can attribute to each country;

how many from each region in each country;

With GSAK it is easy to see what is your 100th cache. But which one was you 100th coin or TB discovery? or which one was your 100th discovery from the USA? These are all milestones in my books. And almost just as significant as the cache finds.

I am trying to complete a map of the world, whereby I find one coin from each country, and each region in every country which have regions.

My spreadsheet works, but it is becoming cumbersome, and this info is difficult to share with others (other then on my stats page).

What would be really cool is if GC could add this type of info to the web site, but their focus point is the caching not the bugs.

A very good second price would be a program which could use XML files to share coin info between geocoin addicts.

The information shared via the XML file would be things like:

Coin manufacturer,

Date of Issue,

Person / Team who commisioned it.

For the most part the one thing NOT shared via this XML file, would the verification numbers.

But this scenarion would be great:

If one is at an event, and someone had discovered all your coins, one could bluetooth the XML file accross to their phone, and so easily update their program, once back home one shot with the new coin discoveries.

I use click2map to keep track of my few travellers. It creates a map with an icon for each traveller. You have to input the data yourself, but you can stuff an awful lot of data in there, including a link to the traveller's GC.com webpage. You can also upload your own icons (ie. the coin's icon).

You can see examples on my profile page.

It doesn't keep track of mileage or routes though.

On my profile page, I have a flag of each and every country where I have discovered coins and TBs from, as well as the regions within some countries, if supported by GC. The spreadhseet creates the basic HTML for me, which I then just copy and past into that portion of my stats page.

The thing is I want MORE info. I am starting to get a great liking to this discovering of coins, and would like to have more info on all of them. Some coins which I have discovered have huge stories behind them. This should all be documented somewhere accessible to everyone.

Would anybody be interested in such a program where one can keep track of coins discovered?

I am thinking of writing such a program for myself.

However I can either write one to get the job done for what I want, or can make it more applicable to the greater community.

The software at http://www.geocointraq.com/ does not seem to do what I want it for. I specificaly want it to keep track of other peoples coins, and my discovery status of those coins.(Yes GC does this, but in a very basic format)

Example: For all Adrenalin coins, I want to know how commissioned it, Where it was minted, a short description (by the minter/commisioner), a personal description (may have heard some WOW story about it), a photo of what it should look like,

and then every time I discover an Adrenalin coin,

who the owner of the coin is,

which country the coin is from,

its verification number,

and the photo I took of it.

From the above there are two distinct portions applicable to a coin. Public info, and Personal Info (verification number = personal info, where it was minted = Public)

If the greater community would be interested in such a program, the Public information must easily be shared with other cachers, and so a XML specification must be drawn up. This would also allow programs to be written for other platforms such as MAC and Linux, to share the info.

Also if all information is stored in XML, nice web based reports can be generated to display the coins one has discovered, or it would be easy to create albums, etc.

One concern I do have is all the verification numbers must NOT be shared, as such a program could facilitate in the mass discovery of coins / TBs. This is something which must be looked at / considered.

(Although a text file with all verification numbers could / would do it much simpler).

Before this post gets to long and boring.... if you want more info about the idea, please send me an email / comment.

So the two questions I have is:

1) Who would be interested in such a program,

and

2) Who would be interested in assisting in such a project.

I am happy to write the Windows version in .Net using SQLite and XML

(SQLite, and XML are both cross platform).

If there is enough interest we can make a open source project somewhere, and define the XML specification in an open format.

Either discuss it here, or email me off the forum.

Either way this will point me in how I will move forward.

P.S. In no way will scraping of the GC web site occur.

Currenly I copy each piece of info indifidualy off the web site, and add to my Calc sheet as and when I discover TBs & Coins.

I would certainly be interested in whatever you could come up with. I have a coin collection that I keep track of manually ao a spreadsheet as well. I have also discovered a large amount and find that the watchlist method is fairly cumbersome to manage so anything that might be available would be a bonus. I have looked at a few commercialy available programs but either do not match what I require or are no longer available.

Good luck and I will watch this link with interest.

Ok, I haven't figured out how to map it?? I would love to see a world map that shows the location of all my trackables (coins and bugs). is this possible?

I am in the process of creating an XML specification for exchange of geocoin information. I hope that there will be a greater community interest in the creation of other tracking programs, all willing to share certain bits of information via XML files. This will give the geocoin addicts a choice of programs.

(I see it working the same way as GC.com supplying us with GPX files, and we as users have the choice of which programs we want to use that GPX file with)

I have come up with some fields I would like to see in a tracking program, and ways of exchanging this in a XML format, but if anybody out there has anything they would like spesificaly added, please add the requests in this forum, as I am monitoring it.

I have searched the internet, and come up empty handed as to any specification for the exchange of coin collection type information. I was hoping to piggy back on an existing specification. If anybody knows different, please let me know.

So at this point I have decided to create my own specification.

My specification will be called GeoTix (Geo Tracking Item eXchange). I think it fits nicely with bugs / ticks (blood sucking type). Also as I would like to see a basic (master) image of each geocoin exchanged in the XML file, there must be a ZIPPED version available as well.

My XML specificaton should be completed by the middle to end of July, and then I would like others to comment on it, and assit with the refinement of the specification and so get greater community involvement / support.

Then it will be upto any individual / company to write a front end program using the information of this these XML files.

I will be writing a Windows Version using SQLite, and the .Net Framework.

Any comments / suggestion welcome.

As an example:

I want to print out a diary / contact sheet / discovery sheet of each and every TB and or geocoin I have discovered, lets say by date and or owner. I would like this print out to look similar as the TBs / coins on this page:

http://www.sageostats.co.za/tbrace

I am in the process of creating an XML specification for exchange of geocoin information. I hope that there will be a greater community interest in the creation of other tracking programs, all willing to share certain bits of information via XML files. This will give the geocoin addicts a choice of programs.

(I see it working the same way as GC.com supplying us with GPX files, and we as users have the choice of which programs we want to use that GPX file with)

I have come up with some fields I would like to see in a tracking program, and ways of exchanging this in a XML format, but if anybody out there has anything they would like spesificaly added, please add the requests in this forum, as I am monitoring it.

I have searched the internet, and come up empty handed as to any specification for the exchange of coin collection type information. I was hoping to piggy back on an existing specification. If anybody knows different, please let me know.

So at this point I have decided to create my own specification.

My specification will be called GeoTix (Geo Tracking Item eXchange). I think it fits nicely with bugs / ticks (blood sucking type). Also as I would like to see a basic (master) image of each geocoin exchanged in the XML file, there must be a ZIPPED version available as well.

My XML specificaton should be completed by the middle to end of July, and then I would like others to comment on it, and assit with the refinement of the specification and so get greater community involvement / support.

Then it will be upto any individual / company to write a front end program using the information of this these XML files.

I will be writing a Windows Version using SQLite, and the .Net Framework.

Any comments / suggestion welcome.

As an example:

I want to print out a diary / contact sheet / discovery sheet of each and every TB and or geocoin I have discovered, lets say by date and or owner. I would like this print out to look similar as the TBs / coins on this page:

http://www.sageostats.co.za/tbrace

hmmmm

Edited by GeoLobo