1 TOPO CD, 2 GPS's

I looked on the packaging (garmin topo u.s. 2008) and on the website but can't find anything about this.

Can I *legally* use the same topo disc and load it on 2 different GPS's?

I'm thinking of buying a Venture HC for a friend but don't want to stick him with a bill for the software needed.

Me and my gal took my buddy and his wife on their first cache hunt and they loved it. :o

With his Son in college and a Daughter that just had expensive dental surgery, as well as life's other expenses....

My friend has been keeping the money belt a little tight (as many have).

I'd love to give him this gift but can't afford the GPS AND software.

Thoughts?

Shootist!

I looked on the packaging (garmin topo u.s. 2008) and on the website but can't find anything about this.

I'm thinking of buying a Venture HC for a friend but don't want to stick him with a bill for the software needed.

Me and my gal took my buddy and his wife on their first cache hunt and they loved it. :o

With his Son in college and a Daughter that just had expensive dental surgery, as well as life's other expenses....

Thoughts?

Shootist!

The topo data is not proprietary, so they don't lock it to a serial number, you can put it on all of your GPSr's.

Also you can get free topos at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

and free routable worldwide maps at http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php (use FireFox for this site)

Edited by Triple Crown

Thoughts?

Shootist!

I did not see anything in the eula that would prevent loading the maps on two GPS at the same time. You can not load the DVD on your friends computer. The TOPO software does not have an unlock code so this would indicate there is no restrictions on loading it on multiple GPS units. I am not a lawyer and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Jim

I'm quite sure that the EULA specifies that you can load it for devices that you own.

Copyright laws and EULA's often overlook the consequences of the data loaded to a portable device once it leaves the owners hands, however I would think that the law would be interpreted to mean you can load it on your devices, but when they are no longer yours then the data should be removed.

That said - how you personally interpret the EULA and copyright in general is up to you. The legality of the situation isn't likely to ever be an issue so it really falls back to your personal guiding values to help add contrast to those types of gray areas.

I'm quite sure that the EULA specifies that you can load it for devices that you own.

Copyright laws and EULA's often overlook the consequences of the data loaded to a portable device once it leaves the owners hands, however I would think that the law would be interpreted to mean you can load it on your devices, but when they are no longer yours then the data should be removed.

That said - how you personally interpret the EULA and copyright in general is up to you. The legality of the situation isn't likely to ever be an issue so it really falls back to your personal guiding values to help add contrast to those types of gray areas.

The EULA talks about loading the software on a COMPUTER, it does not talk about loading the maps on a GPS, unless of course, you want to stretch the definition of a computer to a GPS.

Jim