way to query the geocaching.com database?

I am trying to make geocaching site that takes anyone who signs up's stats and adds them up. But not just the number of caches found and created, but also gets the terrain, size, type, and difficulty of the cache. I need a way to query the database somehow to get this information and I can't find any way of doing it. There doesn't appear to be an API or anything. Anyone have any idea?

I am trying to make geocaching site that takes anyone who signs up's stats and adds them up. But not just the number of caches found and created, but also gets the terrain, size, type, and difficulty of the cache. I need a way to query the database somehow to get this information and I can't find any way of doing it. There doesn't appear to be an API or anything. Anyone have any idea?

something like this?

No API, no external/public access to the site db.

Scraping forbidden in the TOS.

Yup. There used to be several statistics websites that scraped the database, but they were blocked and forbidden years ago (probably 2004 or 2005). Cacherstats.com uses an elaborate pocket query scheme which is obviously OK with TPTB.

If it's any consolation, Navicache.com has an API, and doesn't care if you scrape their database. :anibad:

Supplementing the record, the most popular discontinued service was "Dan's Stats Site," which the developer discontinued voluntarily -- not because of Groundspeak doing anything. That service scraped the "latest logs" page back when it took a long time for an individual log to slide off the page.

Supplementing the record, the most popular discontinued service was "Dan's Stats Site," which the developer discontinued voluntarily -- not because of Groundspeak doing anything. That service scraped the "latest logs" page back when it took a long time for an individual log to slide off the page.

Oh yes, I didn't mean to imply that the Evil Frog just up and blocked all the stats sites one day, without notifying the owners. Although I do remember at least one stats site owner coming to the forums confused as to why their site didn't work anymore. I actually have no recollection of Dan's site, or who the heck owned any of the other ones.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel
Although I do remember at least one stats site owner coming to the forums confused as to why their site didn't work anymore. I actually have no recollection of Dan's site, or who the heck owned any of the other ones.

I think the Buxley site was an example of one where it was not discontinued very voluntarily.

http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/

Edited by beejay&esskay