'Send to gps' doesn't render html correctly

Delta68

I expect this is a known bug....

One of our caches GC12PXZ had to be changed about a month after being set because a notice which had been in a church for thirty years had suddenly disappeared. I decided to comment out the questions rather than delete them so I could refer to it in future or reinstate it if the missing notice re-appeared.

Anyway, this was nearly two years ago and we have never had any problem until today when a cacher said he couldn't find the notice.

Sure enough, if you do a 'Send to GPS' to the Oregon 300, the html is being displayed as text; comments and all!!

Hiding information in html comments is also quite common for some puzzle caches...

I expect this is a known bug....

One of our caches GC12PXZ had to be changed about a month after being set because a notice which had been in a church for thirty years had suddenly disappeared. I decided to comment out the questions rather than delete them so I could refer to it in future or reinstate it if the missing notice re-appeared.

Anyway, this was nearly two years ago and we have never had any problem until today when a cacher said he couldn't find the notice.

Sure enough, if you do a 'Send to GPS' to the Oregon 300, the html is being displayed as text; comments and all!!

Hiding information in html comments is also quite common for some puzzle caches...

Good to know.

Thanks.

What kind of comments do you want? Or maybe a different question is who do you want to comment?

How about TPTB saying: "Gosh! You've spotted another bug, we'll have a look at it" :P

And why do you assume that TPTB at Groundspeak and their programming are the problem?

And why do you assume that TPTB at Groundspeak and their programming are the problem?

Why do you assume that I am assuming that Groundspeak are at fault?

The fault is either

a) what Groundspeak send to the Garmin Communicator Plugin or

:P the way the Garmin Communicator Plugin interprets it.

I DO know that the Groundspeak developers read this forum and they would be in a better position than me to diagnose where the problem lies....

Mark

I DO know that the Groundspeak developers read this forum and they would be in a better position than me to diagnose where the problem lies....

Mark

Well here we are 6 months later and still the same result. I have only recently tried out a friend's Oregon (he was finding it difficult as he is 78 years old and no computer expert), and saw that most of the caches he had on board were littered with html tags making them difficult to read. His practice had been to download caches to his Oregon one at a time using 'Send to GPS'.

I searched a bit and asked a few friends, and discovered this bug. I am not aware if it has been notified directly or only aired here, but if the 'Send to GPS' function is to be useful to those who want to use it with the Oregon, then it should perhaps be addressed.

Besides, it can give the game away by enabling cachers to see hidden parts of a cache page or even coordinates, that they are meant to discover as part of a puzzle.

Edited by Team Caracache

From what I have been told its an issue with the way that the Oregon reads the page that is sent to it.

The Oregon is not set up to display/translate HTML so it will only read it the way that it sees it. Most of my caches are in HTML so you can only guess what Oregon users think of me.

If you want to see a cache that looks good online and then see it on the Oregon then look at this one:

GC17NT4

In the future maybe Garmin will either fix the issue, or make a new GPS that can read HTML.

P.S. I own and use the Oregon 400t