If you just *have* to place a LPC...

9Key

There's been a rash of LPCs published here in my little corner of the world recently and one thing I don't understand is why they are all the same. Why not change it up a little if that is the hiding place you have chosen? Show us some creativity!

"OK, how do I change it up, Mister 9Key?" Here are some ideas:

* Tie a pretty ribbon around the cache.

* Use black construction paper for the log and have cachers sign it in white-out ink (you provide the ink of course).

* Use gold paper for the log - or any odd color.

* Add some interesting foreign coins.

* Put 10 film canisters under the skirt and make them find the correct one.

* Wrap the film can in an odd color of duct tape - red, orange, pink, etc. They sell lots of colors these days.

* Cover the can in little stickers.

* Put the log in one of those little fake velvet bags that jewelery comes in.

* Skip the film can altogether and hollow out some fake fruit or alter a McToy to hold a log.

* Make an inside-out cache - wrap waterproof paper around the outside of the can.

So there's 10 ideas that I came up with off the top of my head, I'm sure there's a million other things you can do to make a ho-hum LPC something more interesting. :o

Signed,

9Key - The Martha Stewart of Geocaching

Or a LPC I did outside a Costco, It had a Costco sized Altoids can as the cache. Pretty cool.

Hey I think I know that one! It was definitely the biggest Altoids tin I've ever seen.

I found one where the owner stuffed a rubber rattler snake under the lamp post besides the film can. When lifted the snake springs out at you. He did provide warning to "expect something unusual" so that there would not be a sudden rash of geocachers dying from heart attacks. Sadly the cache is no longer around.

Edited by Chrysalides

We have one here that the owner designed a three piece diorama of soldiers on guard that set between the bolts on three sides. The actual cache was a phony, hollowed-out grenade set between the bolts on the fourth side. It was called Guarding the Cache.

Grenade? That does not sound like a good choice for a cache container.

Why? Sounds like a blast!

*cough* sorry.

groan (grn)

v. groaned, groan·ing, groans

v.intr.

1. To voice a deep, inarticulate sound, as of pain, grief, or displeasure.

2. To make a sound expressive of stress or strain: floorboards groaning.

v.tr.

To utter or express with groans or a groan.

n.

The sound made in groaning.

I think #1 applies here.

Similar to what Cache O'Plenty said, a local SoCal cacher places LPC caches that are pretty unique. Say for example the cache is a Christmas theme. Under the skirt on all 4 sides would be Christmas decorations, a mini tree, little mini gift boxes, etc. The cache would also be in a themed container. Its like a little mini diorama under the skirt.

We have one here that the owner designed a three piece diorama of soldiers on guard that set between the bolts on three sides. The actual cache was a phony, hollowed-out grenade set between the bolts on the fourth side. It was called Guarding the Cache.

It was one of those kid toy grenades - no handle/pin. - and really not much definition. Didn't really look too much like a real grenade but you got the idea.

It was one of those kid toy grenades - no handle/pin. - and really not much definition. Didn't really look too much like a real grenade but you got the idea.

Combine someone acting suspiciously with an object that resembles a grenade and I think you've got yourself a the perfect setup for a visit from the bomb squad.

Combine someone acting suspiciously with an object that resembles a grenade and I think you've got yourself a the perfect setup for a visit from the bomb squad.

But just think about how much fun it would be watching them blow up a lamp post. :o

I visited an LPC recently that was a bit unique. My geocaching friend reached in to grab a bit of cloth when he unwrapped it to discover that it was a man's pair of underwear! We thought it was someone being rude but, come to find out after logging the find, the cache owner wrapped them that way to deter muggles. They didn't look new to me....sick! LOL!

How about (as a start) making it bigger than your average LPC? I've found this source for small containers:

http://www.uline.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?model=S-9934

They are four ounce clear screw top jars. But you say they can only be ordered in cases of 36? So what? They are only $.046 each, so one case is only $17 for the case. Even if you want to stay cheaper than that, buy a case and split it up at an event.

I don't think these would hold up directly exposed to the environment, but I think they will do well in a lamp skirt. I've got a couple in the field so far, in hides with similar to lamp skirt protection, with no problems. I suppose I should put one in a lamp skirt to see how they hold up in actual lamp skirt use.

Of course, to take it to the next step, I already have one of these on a lamp post that doesn't have a skirt...

We have done a LPC which is a multi. Under the skirt is a key held by velcro. You take that key out to a little wooded area in the same parking lot and hunt for a regular size cache which opens with that key. Afterwards, you must return the key. It was a nice little twist to the usual LPCs.

This area (sadly) only had one LPC, so I decided we needed another, but mine is a bit different.

It is a 1/4 mile hike to a trackless woodlot where no one expects to ever find a lamp post in the first place. In fact, I even provided the lamp post!

It is one of those solar yard lamp posts (about a foot tall) with the log inside the 2 part shaft. :)

It's only been found 4 times so far, but it has already generated some interesting logs. :anibad:

McKerral LPC

Edited by BC & MsKitty

There's an LPC over in these parts that requires the finder to bring tools along - it's a keybox about 15' up the pole. You have to pull it down, do the work, and replace it as found.

Seen 'em before. How often does it end up under the skirt because some jamoke thinks it's silly or stoopid to put it up the pole?

Dear Martha,

First, I have to say, I just LUUUV this thread! Its a Good Thing!

Paint the film can pink, and then, with your hot melt glue gun, attach some pretty white lace around it.

Covered with glitter would be nice.

I realize that we're not supposed to put food inside of a cache, but what would be wrong with setting out a plate with some freshly baked chocolate chip cookies or skillfully prepared h'our dourves?

Oh yes... one more thing: I always wipe down the lamp skirt with a clean linen towel before hiding the cache. Nobody wants to find your cache under a filthy cover.

There's an LPC over in these parts that requires the finder to bring tools along - it's a keybox about 15' up the pole. You have to pull it down, do the work, and replace it as found.

Seen 'em before. How often does it end up under the skirt because some jamoke thinks it's silly or stoopid to put it up the pole?

The ones I've seen like that are always on poles that don't have the cover at the base.

By far, my favorite LPC was the one that had about 50 film cans under the base (all empty except one). You lift the cover... and they all come pouring out onto the pavement :anibad: .

The ones I've seen like that are always on poles that don't have the cover at the base.

By far, my favorite LPC was the one that had about 50 film cans under the base (all empty except one). You lift the cover... and they all come pouring out onto the pavement :anibad: .

Oh yeah, that sounds like a good time.

"Martha, look at that guy."

"Don't look at him George. You never know about those wackos. We don't want no trouble."

"Don't look at him George. You never know about those wackos. We don't want no trouble."

Especially when the film cans (at least the one with the log in it) roll under somebody's car. Nawww... I'll pass.

I did find one once with a spring-loaded "snake" in it, though. I enjoyed it.

Here is my latest. Sheet magnet with a tyvek log on the back. Cut to magnet to cover an entire side of the inside of the skirt. Make sure it is painted the same color as the inside of the skirt.

Me thinks it might get some DNF's. Now i just need to find a skirt that will hold a magnet... (I only looked at one so far.)

Here is my latest. Sheet magnet with a tyvek log on the back. Cut to magnet to cover an entire side of the inside of the skirt. Make sure it is painted the same color as the inside of the skirt.

Me thinks it might get some DNF's. Now i just need to find a skirt that will hold a magnet... (I only looked at one so far.)

I think most of them are aluminum. I'm pretty sure I encountered one that was not a while ago. It was one where the skirt was a good 50% larger than average. It might have been steel, just to avoid flex and damage in the larger size. All I know for sure is that it felt denser than aluminum, and far heavier than the average lamp skirt.

I haven't created the cache yet, but have purchased the stuff to do it and it is all riding around in the back of my car. I'm going to create an urban night cache with LPC's. At the coordinates one will lift the skirt to find a tube containing a laser pointer (got it at Dollar General for $1). I won't provide instructions, but hopefully the cacher will finally spot an outline of the shape of the laser pointer made out of reflective tape on top of the lamp post skirt. By setting the laser inside the outline and pushing the button it will direct them to the next lamp post skirt...but under that skirt will only be a mirror. Then by looking there they will see another reflective tape outline where the mirror must be held (are you getting that this will require at least two people?). I figure one mirror reflection of the laser to the final location will be enough, but you can take the idea and do what you want with it.

Like I said, I haven't done it yet and I'm honestly not sure if I came up with the idea myself or if I'd heard something about an urban night cache similar to this, but forgot who told me or what the details of it was. I really don't care, all I know is that there is nothing like it near me so I've got to try to put one out like it. I plan on calling it "Zap".

Edited by WVangler

I haven't created the cache yet, but have purchased the stuff to do it and it is all riding around in the back of my car. I'm going to create an urban night cache with LPC's. At the coordinates one will lift the skirt to find a tube containing a laser pointer (got it at Dollar General for $1). I won't provide instructions, but hopefully the cacher will finally spot an outline of the shape of the laser pointer made out of reflective tape on top of the lamp post skirt. By setting the laser inside the outline and pushing the button it will direct them to the next lamp post skirt...but under that skirt will only be a mirror. Then by looking there they will see another reflective tape outline where the mirror must be held (are you getting that this will require at least two people?). I figure one mirror reflection of the laser to the final location will be enough, but you can take the idea and do what you want with it.

Like I said, I haven't done it yet and I'm honestly not sure if I came up with the idea myself or if I'd heard something about an urban night cache similar to this, but forgot who told me or what the details of it was. I really don't care, all I know is that there is nothing like it near me so I've got to try to put one out like it. I plan on calling it "Zap".

Interesting idea. Stage 1 sounds like a good idea. The other seems to convoluted to work. Don't worry. Most of my ideas are too convoluted to work.

Thanks for this tip!

I have placed several micros (LPC's to you) and almost all of them either bring you to an interesting place, are part of a theme, or have a surprise waiting on the finder. I always try to make the cache worth finding even if it only contains a log.

There's one near me (1 of only 4 within 10 miles) that doesn't have a really interesting container but the lamppost is on a pedestrian bridge that spans a really pretty gorge (the container is probably 150' above the river bed).

This area (sadly) only had one LPC

Go down to Windsor for the day, I guarantee you'll have your fill

Somebody in Ottawa put out 50 LPCs in one night a while back - I'm sure that you can imagine how they're doing now... Thankfully, they're slowly getting archived

I'll admit that I have one LPC, but it's a puzzle final, and a slightly different style lamppost... Still no excuse (with around 60 finds, I didn't know better), but I've actually been complimented in my choice of lamppost!

This area (sadly) only had one LPC

Go down to Windsor for the day, I guarantee you'll have your fill

Somebody in Ottawa put out 50 LPCs in one night a while back - I'm sure that you can imagine how they're doing now... Thankfully, they're slowly getting archived

I'll admit that I have one LPC, but it's a puzzle final, and a slightly different style lamppost... Still no excuse (with around 60 finds, I didn't know better), but I've actually been complimented in my choice of lamppost!

I hope you realize that the "sadly" above, was a joke! :anibad:

There is one near me that is a puzzle. Of course it is in a WalMart parking lot in a college town. since the cords bounce in this parking lot for some reason there are 4 lamp posts that have a film canister that say "Try Again" on a slip inside. The fifth post (dead center of the 4) has the actual cache which is a small lock n lock. I actually found the cache the first time but have heard others searching all the lamp posts. Thought it was creative. I had thought about doing something like that here, just not sure about it yet.

But just think about how much fun it would be watching them blow up a lamp post. :laughing:

I can just picture them detonating the lamp post and it taking off like a rocket!

By far, my favorite LPC was the one that had about 50 film cans under the base (all empty except one). You lift the cover... and they all come pouring out onto the pavement :laughing: .

Film cans? Nuts!

How about marbles? Not only will they all come out, cachers will have a rollicking good time chasing them and putting them back for the next guy.

"Oh, look, that guy has lost his marbles!"

"Yes, but he is trying to find them."

There is one near me that is a puzzle. Of course it is in a WalMart parking lot in a college town. since the cords bounce in this parking lot for some reason there are 4 lamp posts that have a film canister that say "Try Again" on a slip inside. The fifth post (dead center of the 4) has the actual cache which is a small lock n lock. I actually found the cache the first time but have heard others searching all the lamp posts. Thought it was creative. I had thought about doing something like that here, just not sure about it yet.

Oh boy... FIVE lamp skirts for the price of one!!! :laughing:

I can just picture them detonating the lamp post and it taking off like a rocket!

A bit OT but during some road work near here the crew set up to do some blasting. Adjacent to the section of rock to be dynamited was a hotel parking lot. In the green space between the road and lot was a line of light posts with large, round, plastic globes topping each post. As the workers set off the line of charges the globes began popping of the hollow light posts. These thing were attaining heights of about twice that of the nearby utility poles.

There's one near me (1 of only 4 within 10 miles) that doesn't have a really interesting container but the lamppost is on a pedestrian bridge that spans a really pretty gorge (the container is probably 150' above the river bed).

Fall Creek suspension bridge? When I went to Cornell I lived a few blocks from that bridge. Loved walking across it.

Fall Creek suspension bridge? When I went to Cornell I lived a few blocks from that bridge. Loved walking across it.

Nope, but there is a cache there two. It's actually a multi cache that requires counting features on the bridge to determine the final coordinates. It you ever get back this way there's a new puzzle cache that requires you to visit at least one cache in 8 different gorges in the area. It's rated a 4.5/4.5.

When we were still fairly noob cachers, we thought we would make a multi-cache called the "Path to EnLIGHTenment" by having each stage be a micro in a lamp-skirt. (UGH, can you believe it?) and then the end stage being a really nice area.

Glad we didn't do it.

But anyhoo, one of our favorites, although technically not a lightpole cache, was in a parking lot and we thought for sure it would be a LPC. But it wasn't, it was the coolest magnetic thing on an electrical box next to it. :laughing: We were pleased.

-Rozie

We have 1 lame LPC hidden in a Subway parking lot right off the interstate in a little town in the middle of no-where. Surprisingly, it has more finds than any of our other caches due to the convenient location. A smiley, food and restrooms all in one stop.

The first two, and only two Caches I have hidden are LPCs. I figured Iwould keep it simple for my first hides and make sure I was doing right and such. Besides... some of the first finds I had as a newb Geocacher were LPCs and it's nice to get some confidence as well as some experience from those easy hides.