Do you use a PDA for Benchmarking?

TillaMurphs

We just inherited a PDA. (A Hewlett-Packard iPAQ Classic Handheld running Window Mobile 6 Classic software.)

We wondered about using it to hold and display datasheet info?

We are looking for something that can display the box score data in its original formatting. Last night I tried using Cachemate and Geoscout on this PDA but neither of those programs keep the box score info in its original box format.

One nice feature of the PDA is the ability store and show selected aerial photos downloaded from our computer. It can also display the true box format if I first save the datasheet as a Word document on my PC and then load it to the PDA. However, I am looking for a database that will host the datasheets on the PDA AND be able to display the box scores in their original rectangular box format.

We are soliciting input from anyone who uses a PDA while Benchmarking to decide whether or not to incorporate this new PDA into our hunting arsenal.

Thanks,

--TillaMurphs

(Our trusty benchmarking tool that has served us well thus far is a Garmin nuvi GPS with a macro developed by GC member pilotsnipes. It works great for our benchmarking needs. It does provide the datasheet info (from GSAK) in text form but it does not retain the box when looking at the box score info. For the box score it just shows many lines of text that are not separated by any formatting).

I use a dell axim X50 for geocaching and benchmarking. I download the datasheets and convert them into gpx format with bmgpx software, then use gpxsonar to view them.

Seems to work good for me. I am sure there are better alternatives and others will point them out.

Edited by LSUFan

TillaMurphs -

I have a HP iPAQ too and have tried it with benchmarking.

I used NGSREAD which optionally makes an html file for each PID. I copied all the html files to the iPAQ along with a couple of indexes of the benchmarks. The html files include all the recovery reports and the box score information and all the other datasheet items we use for hunting.

NGSREAD includes the box score information in the html files but I did fiddle with the format slightly to make it easier to use.

Here is pretty much what it looks like, except it has table borders:

PID	   Reference Object						 Distance	ddd mm ss.s
HV5127	DRANESVILLE ATL SEABOARD MAST	  APPROX. 5.1 KM	031 32 14.9
HV5131	SUNSET HILLS BOWMAN DISTILL TK	 APPROX. 0.9 KM	038 10 15.2
HV2783	RESTON RM 1							81.81 FEET	105 11
HV5267	HERNDON RAD STA WHRN CEN MAST	  APPROX. 2.6 KM	250 02 09.2
HV5266	HERNDON MUN STANDPIPE			  APPROX. 2.9 KM	294 54 58.6
HV5244	HERNDON WEST MUN TANK			  APPROX. 3.6 KM	309 50 05.8
HV5243	HERNDON EAST MUN TANK			  APPROX. 3.6 KM	321 20 55.6
HV9060	RESTON AZ MK						 1333.95 FEET	331 07 24.7
HV2784	RESTON RM 2							78.62 FEET	354 11

At the bottom of each PID's datasheet is a clickable (click on a PID and it jumps there) index of nearby PIDs that looks pretty much like this:

PID		Feet|Mi	Azim. 16 pt.	 Designation
HV5134	   81.698	 105	ESE	 RESTON 2
HV2784	   95.288	 339	NNW	 RESTON RM 2
HV2783	  121.876	 159	SSE	 RESTON RM 1
HV8697	  951.760	 352	  N	 WAG 11 B
HV2772	 1089.296	 306	 NW	 AH 9
HV8327	 2091.111	 158	SSE	 BA 9
HV5131	 2821.884	  38	 NE	 SUNSET HILLS BOWMAN DISTILL TK
HV8311	 3420.270	  77	ENE	 BA 13
HV8605	 3471.853	 260	  W	 POWELL
HV9245	 3880.273	 250	WSW	 NC 25

I wonder what Cachemate and Geoscout did to the box score that you don't like. Maybe what I did to it in ngsread is bad too?

I didn't like the NGS version of the box score because:

1) the distances are all in meters whereas the recovery reports are all in feet (I left the KM ones as is.)

2) the dddmmss data are all crammed together, making it hard to read.

I'm with AZcachemeister. I've used two different Palms (Tungsten T3 most recently) with Cachemate. Like he said, all the data is there. Been using it for years (about 5, I think), and have no issues. Although I rarely bother, the T3 can rotate the whole screen (into landscape mode), and then the box scores are on one line per mark, like they should be (no wrap). Try that, if your PDA can do it. Maybe you'll like that.

I apologize in advance for not knowing much about a PDA. The first time I ever picked one up was last week.

Let me try and explain what I am after.

Here is what the box score looks like on my nuvi. It is readable, but has no formatting at all:

364987765.jpg

Here is what the box score looks like on the iPAQ PDA when using Cachemate.

It is easier to read than with my nuvi, but it still does not have full lines like the original datasheet.

364987759.jpg

Here is what the box score looks like on the PDA when using Microsoft Word. The formatting matches the original datasheet and I can see the entire thing by scrolling left to right. I like this format the best, but I want to use a database for my datasheets, not Word. If Cachemate could display in this format I would be happy.

LEFT SIDE:

364987755.jpg

SCROLLED TO RIGHT:

364987751.jpg

It may help somewhat if the PDA could display sideways, but I haven’t figured out if or how it will do that (it did not come with a manual).

BDT,

I like the display that you have - it is very easy to read. You mentioned that you use NGSREAD with some fiddling. Does it allow you to process files in bulk – such as all marks in a county? Does it take much fiddling? I am trying to reduce, or keep to a minimum, my fiddling time. (I spend hours and hours on each single recovery for prep work and the write-up. Most of the time, I spend much more time on the before and after than the actual field work. I am trying to not increase prep time any more than what it already is.)

AZcachemeister and Klemmer & TBM,

I can certainly live with what Cachmate does (after all, look what I have been looking at on my nuvi.) However, I just wanted to know if there was something better before I purchase Cachemate.

(Tungsten T3 most recently)

I also have a T3...an awesome piece of hardware! :)

It seems there is a bit of a difference in what is displayed on a Windows Mobile PDA vs. what is displayed on a Palm unit. Particularly the way the longer lines are wrapped. Even so, your PDA version is much more user-friendly than that mess on the NUVI! :anibad:

I think that there will be differences no matter what you do, unless perhaps you go with an HTML version and reader.

TillaMurphs -

NGSREAD processes all the PIDs in a county, or all the PIDs in a whole state. It can also be restricted to a radius in miles around a point, or a USGS quad when reading either a county file or state file.

All the fiddling I mentioned was just in formatting the box score as I showed when I wrote the program. Running ngsread is easy.

To get that example, I typed in a DOS window:

ngsread /html=yes va059.dat

After I typed that, it read the file and made a directory called html and put a few hundred html files, one per PID, in there.

For the PDA, I just copy all the html files onto its chip when the chip is in my computer's chip slot (generally for a camera chip).

(Ngsread will work in drag-and-drop mode too, but I prefer using the DOS window.)

Tillamurphs, I took a few screenshots today of gpxsonar and how it formats the boxscores from my pda. It usually puts it on one screen width where you don't have to scroll sideways. Is this what you are wanting?

I can provide more screenshots if you like.

b16c18ab-f36c-4ee5-a29c-ea09e2fbaebe.jpg

4d626cd6-4f86-43f2-b86b-3809a183f98a.jpg

a040d214-e1bf-43c2-8527-e7e9b13a0eef.jpg

Edited by LSUFan
TillaMurphs - I have a HP iPAQ too and have tried it with benchmarking. I used NGSREAD which optionally makes an html file for each PID. I copied all the html files to the iPAQ along with a couple of indexes of the benchmarks. The html files include all the recovery reports and the box score information and all the other datasheet items we use for hunting.

I tried NGSREAD in my iPAQ this weekend. Wow! Using the html output is great. Simple and easy and it presents the pertinent info while jettisoning the superfluous stuff. This worked out very well in the PDA.

Thanks BDT. I am assuming this is your program. If so, congratulations to you.

Thanks,

--TheTillaMurphs

Tillamurphs, I took a few screenshots today of gpxsonar and how it formats the boxscores from my pda. It usually puts it on one screen width where you don't have to scroll sideways. Is this what you are wanting?

LSFan,

Thank you very much for the info on gpxsonar. The boxscores look pretty darn good. I will look into that. However, after this weekend's trial, I am pretty happy with NGSREAD.

(I have been to Monroe quite a few times. I fly into there on my way to Hodge, LA.)

LSFan,

Thank you very much for the info on gpxsonar. The boxscores look pretty darn good. I will look into that. However, after this weekend's trial, I am pretty happy with NGSREAD.

(I have been to Monroe quite a few times. I fly into there on my way to Hodge, LA.)

Yeah, I think NGSREAD is going to be the way to go too. I am glad you started this forum so I could learn about the PDA options for BDT's program.

I was going to try it out this weekend, but ended up geocaching instead.

You must be doing something for Smurfit-Stone if you go to Hodge. There isn't a whole lot else there. :P

Give me some forwarning the next time you might be in the area, and we might can meet up for lunch, benchmarking, or such.