Which area (USA) has a higher than normal concentration of virtual caches

Hi all,

I was wondering which areas in the lower 48 states have a higher than usual concentration of virtual caches. The reason why I'm asking is because my wife isn't into geocaching at all, so taking the time to search for a cache, can be fustrating to her at times (I realize that I could just pull a PQ for all 1/1 caches too).

I only mention virtuals because then we can walk up to it, snap a few pictures and answer the verification questions and be on our way. We'd both be happy. I would get a couple more finds, and she wouldn't be stuck watching me digging through trees and bushes. Plus we would both get something out of it providing it was a place of historical origin and had some educational value. (I guess earthcaches would qualify for this thread as well)

We're planning on going on a 4 or 5 day vacation somewhere, but I am not sure. I have done a little research on the virtual cache "saturation", and noticed that Washington D.C., San Francisco, Vegas, Yellowstone and Yosemite have a bunch.

Can anyone else think of some places?

TIA

-Steeda

Hi all,

I was wondering which areas in the lower 48 states have a higher than usual concentration of virtual caches. The reason why I'm asking is because my wife isn't into geocaching at all, so taking the time to search for a cache, can be fustrating to her at times (I realize that I could just pull a PQ for all 1/1 caches too).

I only mention virtuals because then we can walk up to it, snap a few pictures and answer the verification questions and be on our way. We'd both be happy. I would get a couple more finds, and she wouldn't be stuck watching me digging through trees and bushes. Plus we would both get something out of it providing it was a place of historical origin and had some educational value. (I guess earthcaches would qualify for this thread as well)

We're planning on going on a 4 or 5 day vacation somewhere, but I am not sure. I have done a little research on the virtual cache "saturation", and noticed that Washington D.C., San Francisco, Vegas, Yellowstone and Yosemite have a bunch.

Can anyone else think of some places?

TIA

-Steeda

You might not think I'm serious, but you know what? Ask a German. :o

You're on the right track though. Definitely D.C., followed by Vegas. Disney World still has 6 I believe, although you're probably not interested. I seem to remember some guy with about 15 virts in Michigan from Detroit and points northward. Geocaching.com is down for maintenance for hours as I'm typing this though.

<snip> my wife isn't into geocaching at all, so taking the time to search for a cache, can be fustrating to her at times <snip>

I understand your pain. What worked reasonably well for me, was NOT to make to particular effort to hunt for caches - just cruise along doing the family thing but keep an eye on the GPSr screen and if something pops up make some mention of it. The trick is to get the balance right. OK - I'm talking as if I have got the answers...

I just got back from Washington DC and can confirm it to be densely packed it Virtuals. I plotted 50 virtuals within 10 miles of the Capitol building.

Be sure to read the cache pages before you try though. I found one at Arlington Cemetary that was a Multistage Virtual that required 4-5 miles of walking. Another one was 3-4 miles of stages. And they were marked as just Virtuals.

You might also look at any area with lots of National Park ownership - since they don't allow caches, they did get a bunch of virtuals set up back then.

Check the National Parks that interest you. I think that most National Parks forbid placement of Geocaches and as a result will typically have a number of virtual caches.

I recently took a look at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and there are quite a few in that area if you are interested in a non-urban vacation.

The Smokies are great this time of year as well - not too crowded (Fall is their peak season) and everything is just getting nice and green with lots of wildflowers on the trails. Even the occasional black bear to be seen in the area.

Everyone,

I really appreciate the input and help with this topic. I'll check out some of the other national parks when I get a chance later on today. Earthcaches would definitely qualify for what I am trying to achieve also.

Thanks again for all of your help.