Release Notes May 20 2009

OpinioNate

I'll elaborate on my "site is slow" comment a little. Microsoft had 12 hotfixes for us to apply and surprise of surprises, they aren't working right.

We're in the process of rolling back the "fixes" Microsoft install on our servers and will have things back to normal in the next few hours. The site will be slow, but we are working as fast as we can.

At least from what I can see from this end, it looks like the site is back to normal :laughing: Thanks for the hard work, guys!

Nice update, the new CAaR tool is great and very helpful, I'm sure I'm going to use it more often than before. I also like the new link under my profile in the "Search Options" box saying "List newest in United Kingdom" (is it new actually?)

Apart fro that, shame on Microsoft of creating "fixes" like that :o I stopped using automatic updates on Windows as some of their "fixes" have kept me from work more than once for half a day or more... but that's a different story.

Edited by luzian

Address feature worked just fine for my home address. And the routing adjustment feature is perfect. My wife prefers an alternate routing to an area than the one GoogleEarth suggests. This worked just fine!

Would like to have the caches show up on the screen though. Maybe next update..... And, splitting the input into two boxes would be good if they had a drop down that remembered previous entries (like your home address!).

But for creating the route, this works for me! I had the proper route and it's PQ generated within a minute!

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Can't folks just chill out, forget about the site for a few hours, go and have a few coffees, come back when it's all done?

What?! A few hours?!? I don't think I could survive more than half an hour without looking at the site :o Even if it just says "Sorry, site down for maintenance" :laughing:

This is just a hobby/past time/game/whatever! :laughing:

No it's not... it's an addiction :laughing:

I've got a strange problem:

If I click (on the "my"-page) on "List newest in Switzerland", i'll get the normal selection page (Link is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=192 ) with the normal presets, "Country" is set to "Switzerland" and "State/Province" is set to "--Search All--". But when I now click on "seek >", it shows me the newest caches in Afghanistan.

If I change the "State/Province" to any other possibility, e.g. to "Zentralschweiz", the page reloads (as normal) but the "Country" changes to "Afghanistan".

If I set the "Country" back to "Switzerland", the search just starts, and the result is displayed: Afghanistan.

The web-address shown always ends with "?country_id=192", which (at least until yesterday) has pointed to Switzerland.

There is no way at the moment, to get the newest Swiss caches, and Afghanistan is a bit far away for the caching-tour tomorrow.

Just tried to change the "Country" to Germany or France... always Afghanistan.

Even when I try to set to "By Postal Code" or "By Username": Afghanistan

It seems, that Geocaching in the future only will take place in Afghanistan :o

Edited by Mos_CH
The "Search Radius" dropdown does NOT affect your Pocket Query. It is not linked to that at all. It merely helps you guesstimate how far out from your route you want to go. Nothing has changed in the Pocket Query creation process itself; there, you can set whatever distance out you want just as before.

Whoops! Unbeknownst to me, the text entry field for distance from route on the CAaR PQ page was replaced by a dropdown in the last release that did in fact limit your distance to a minimum of 0.5 mile. That has been changed now to allow you to go down to as little as 0.1 mile/0.1 km.

The "Search Radius" dropdown does NOT affect your Pocket Query. It is not linked to that at all. It merely helps you guesstimate how far out from your route you want to go. Nothing has changed in the Pocket Query creation process itself; there, you can set whatever distance out you want just as before.

Whoops! Unbeknownst to me, the text entry field for distance from route on the CAaR PQ page was replaced by a dropdown in the last release that did in fact limit your distance to a minimum of 0.5 mile. That has been changed now to allow you to go down to as little as 0.1 mile/0.1 km.

We tried to tell you.

OK, so you added some items to the drop-down list.

Unless you plan to add all 50 possibilities, I'd like to see it back to an entry field.

I have lost functionality with this change.

Unless you plan to add all 50 possibilities, I'd like to see it back to an entry field.

The problem is that people were entering some strange values into this field that was causing issues with the PQ generator. Is is really necessary to provide every possible gradation between 0.1 and 5.0?

The problem is that people were entering some strange values into this field that was causing issues with the PQ generator. Is is really necessary to provide every possible gradation between 0.1 and 5.0?

Since you haven't given an example of "strange", it is hard to know what the problem was.

I made use of 0.1 gradations. I have a route PQ that neatly fit under the 500 max with 0.9 miles. I lose a lot of a caches with 0.5.

If strange values cause problems, edit for them.

This may just be another case of "I'm just doing it wrong", but I have lost function I made use of.

Since you haven't given an example of "strange", it is hard to know what the problem was.

I made use of 0.1 gradations. I have a route PQ that neatly fit under the 500 max with 0.9 miles. I lose a lot of a caches with 0.5.

If strange values cause problems, edit for them.

This may just be another case of "I'm just doing it wrong", but I have lost function I made use of.

I'm not the programmer developing this feature, so I can't provide specifics. I am simply relaying the reason I was given for the change.

I have to say, though, that in the trade-off between helping the PQ generator by standardizing the distance from route entry and providing a completely customizable entry field, I tend to side toward helping the PQ generator.

I have to say, though, that in the trade-off between helping the PQ generator by standardizing the distance from route entry and providing a completely customizable entry field, I tend to side toward helping the PQ generator.

OK, I will mourn the loss of function this update caused. :o

OK, I will mourn the loss of function this update caused. :o

Why is it a loss?

If you want more caches, make a shorter route and increase the distance. It's always been a trade off and optimization process.

The new feature of making your own route more than makes up for your perceived 'loss'.

This does seem to be the standard "you are doing it wrong" response.

I had convenient daily trips. I set the distance to maximize the caches returned. It relied on being able to use 0.1 increments. Sure, I could go to more effort (if I had spare PQ definitions) to get the same result.

But I have lost function in this area.

(And I have a better way of generating routes with GSAK and Google Maps, but it's nice to see improvements to this site. However, nothing about that improvement required a removal of function.)

Edited by beejay&esskay

That does seem to be Groundspeak's attitude these days. Perhaps you can find 199 other people who need the .1 increments and they will put it back :o

Edited by tozainamboku
I just want it to work, we can quibble about loss or additions of features later. Right now, CAaR is completely broken for me. I can't generate PQs from existing routes or for new ones. :o

It would really help if you would explain what problems you are running into. See this thread from Raine about reporting problems.

I just created a new route and successfully generated a PQ from it. I did the same thing with an old saved route. (I was also able to get more than 100 caches with each.) Without more information, all I can say is it seems to be working correctly for me.

I seem to be unable to adopt a cache. It is an earthcache and two traditionals. It gives me the An Error Has Occurred blank box. Do you need more info on the cache?

I've been able to confirm this issue and have logged it; we should be able to have a fix in the morning (Seattle time).

Now I'm happy, thank you :o

The cache along a route is an really nice feature. I like it. Thanks for implementing this one, it will make this activity really easy. Beats the tar out of generating three or four routes in GE to get the routing and then messing around uploading the .KML. Really cool.

Jim

I'll elaborate on my "site is slow" comment a little. Microsoft had 12 hotfixes for us to apply and surprise of surprises, they aren't working right.

Until we're able to sort out the issue I'm afraid you'll experience various levels of site performance from "slow but usable" to "omg shoot me". Everything is dropped here until we're back online 100%. Thank you for your patience.

Somehow it feels to me like this is the punishment for using MS ... at work we also have the most problems with MS servers. Do you guys have a complete test environment for testing such updates?

Another tought: As today 21th is a public holiday in many countries, I tought that i might be a good idea for you to take those into consideration when choosing a day for the update.

I just want it to work, we can quibble about loss or additions of features later. Right now, CAaR is completely broken for me. I can't generate PQs from existing routes or for new ones. :)

It would really help if you would explain what problems you are running into. See this thread from Raine about reporting problems.

I just created a new route and successfully generated a PQ from it. I did the same thing with an old saved route. (I was also able to get more than 100 caches with each.) Without more information, all I can say is it seems to be working correctly for me.

I filled out the box that came up when I tried (unsuccessfully) to create the PQ.

I selected a route from my list of saved routes (http://www.geocaching.com/my/userroutes.aspx) by clicking on the "Create Pocket Query" link. I get the infamous "An Error Has Occurred" dialog; clicking "retry your previous request" doesn't help. So then I click on the route name, and try "Create Pocket Query" from the "Create / Edit" page; same thing. When I upload a new route I've created in Garmin MapSource (which has always worked before) and try to "Create Pocket Query" from either the "Create / Edit" page or the list of all of my routes, I get the same error. Finally, when I create a new route (using thenew tool) and try to "Create Pocket Query" from either the "Create / Edit" page or the list of all of my routes, I get the same error. In other words - CAaR is completely broken for me. I can't generate PQs from existing routes or for new ones.

I must be using it wrong. :anibad:

Somehow it feels to me like this is the punishment for using MS ... at work we also have the most problems with MS servers. Do you guys have a complete test environment for testing such updates?

I'm sure they do. What they don't have is ten thousand people, who are essential for testing in two ways:

- They get to most of the darker corners of the site pretty quickly

- They load the servers (OK, some of this can be simulated, but it's expensive to do).

Every time the computer industry starts to get on top of a problem, the world changes and so do the challenges. Even 15 years ago it would have been inconceivable for a 20-person company to have one million customers. :anibad:

I just want it to work, we can quibble about loss or additions of features later. Right now, CAaR is completely broken for me. I can't generate PQs from existing routes or for new ones. :)

I filled out the box that came up when I tried (unsuccessfully) to create the PQ.

I selected a route from my list of saved routes (http://www.geocaching.com/my/userroutes.aspx) by clicking on the "Create Pocket Query" link. I get the infamous "An Error Has Occurred" dialog; clicking "retry your previous request" doesn't help. So then I click on the route name, and try "Create Pocket Query" from the "Create / Edit" page; same thing. When I upload a new route I've created in Garmin MapSource (which has always worked before) and try to "Create Pocket Query" from either the "Create / Edit" page or the list of all of my routes, I get the same error. Finally, when I create a new route (using thenew tool) and try to "Create Pocket Query" from either the "Create / Edit" page or the list of all of my routes, I get the same error. In other words - CAaR is completely broken for me. I can't generate PQs from existing routes or for new ones.

I have similar experience with this new CAar feature. Only thing I get is Error has Occured....

I have similar experience with this new CAar feature. Only thing I get is Error has Occured....

It's worked fine for me everytime. Usually if there's a gremlin in the system I find it. I've been having a great time creating routes, and making dog-leg detours in them, this new program is fantastic.

Sorry you're having problems.

Another tought: As today 21th is a public holiday in many countries, I tought that i might be a good idea for you to take those into consideration when choosing a day for the update.

Since some of us are ignorant of such things, which holiday would that be?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_21#Holidays_and_observances

Which tells me nothing of the specific holiday that was being referenced. Virtually every day is a holiday somewhere. I know this is off topic, but it was brought up as a reason for not having done the site changes this week when they were done.

Example of what an appropriate reply would be: Monday the 25th of May, 2009, is Memorial Day in the United States.

So, let's try again, What specific holiday, or holidays, is May 21st 2009 to the person that referenced it?

Which tells me nothing of the specific holiday that was being referenced. Virtually every day is a holiday somewhere. I know this is off topic, but it was brought up as a reason for not having done the site changes this week when they were done.

Example of what an appropriate reply would be: Monday the 25th of May, 2009, is Memorial Day in the United States.

So, let's try again, What specific holiday, or holidays, is May 21st 2009 to the person that referenced it?

In Canada it is Victoria Day celebrating the birthday of Queen Victoria. This is probably celebrated throughout the entire British Commonwealth.

Hard to imagine some countries would dare to be different than the U.S.

That day is a floating holiday indicating the day Jesus Christ left earth a given days after Easter.

The day is a public holiday i several countries. Here are a few:

Austria

Belgium

Switzerland

Germany

Denmark

France

Finland

Iceland

Luxemburg

Norway

Holland

Sweeden

Edited by baø

Groundspeak needs a lesson on CHANGE CONTROL and RELEASE MANAGEMENT. Did it really make sense to make a major site update THREE days before the largest Geocaching event all year? There are thousands of people wanting to just access the Geocaching website today and it is COMPLETELY DOWN (and up and down again). Can't even query a single cache, check in travel bugs, ANYTHING.

I've worked in IT for 25 years. The most basic rule is NO MAJOR CHANGES prior to an ANTICIPATED heavy traffic period. Do you think Intuit (Turbotax) would allow a major release prior to April 15th? NO!

Maybe the folks at Groundspeak need to take some ITIL training and put in some senisble Change Management policies.

Then their PAYING MEMBERS would have a chance to use the services they paid for? Especially prior to leaving for a major geoaching event? :anibad:

That does seem to be Groundspeak's attitude these days. Perhaps you can find 199 other people who need the .1 increments and they will put it back :)

Enough already - pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze!

There are those that relish and look for these topics just so they can put Groundspeak down. It is a pretty easy pattern to see. Their vitriolic jabs are not pretty and to me only make them look bad. It is what it is.

In Canada it is Victoria Day celebrating the birthday of Queen Victoria. This is probably celebrated throughout the entire British Commonwealth.

Hard to imagine some countries would dare to be different than the U.S.

Funny. Victoria Day was Monday May 18. Her birthday is actually May 24. Sorry, but you missed the holiday this year. Funny that a guy from the US has to tell you this, isn't it. :anibad: I also notice that the person who mentioned this the first time is from Luxembourg. I would not think that is the holiday they were referencing anyway.

That day is a floating holiday indicating the day Jesus Christ left earth a given days after Easter.

The day is a public holiday i several countries. Here are a few:

Austria

Belgium

Switzerland

Germany

Denmark

France

Finland

Iceland

Luxemburg

Norway

Holland

Sweeden

Thank you! :anibad:

Please see post #73.

The issue with errors when trying to accept an adoption has been corrected. Please let me know if you have a case that hasn't been fixed.

I asked above somewhere in this thread if a list of bugs registered was available for the public to view. I did not see an answer. Setting up a geocaching.com bugzilla account would really be helpful to ya all and to the members here. It may even cut down on some of the aggravation.

Please seriously consider using this tool. It can be set up so that users can even suggest features and then allow voting on them - thus prioritizing new features based on user want. This would help - cPanel uses it and it really helps on the forums too!

Moun10Bike - has it ever been considered, if not bring it up with the team - please?!?

Edited by Frank Broughton
I asked above somewhere in this thread if a list of bugs registered was available for the public to view. I did not see an answer.

I can understand your urge to review our list of bugs but unfortunately there are sensitive items mixed in with the mundane. It would require additional effort for us to groom the list to remove such things as planned infrastructure upgrades (which may expose us to security threats) and feature enhancements which we'd prefer to keep under wraps. For these reasons and others we will not be allowing access to the master list. The case numbers OpinioNate includes with each bug fix are so they can be referenced later if necessary.

OpinioNate and I will try always to respond to bug reports when they are mentioned in the forums. In this way you will have some idea of what we are working on.

Not in England that I am aware of :anibad:

It isn't. It is was strictly a Canadian holiday.

(Had to edit my post since the holiday was actually several days ago.)

Edited by mtn-man
I asked above somewhere in this thread if a list of bugs registered was available for the public to view. I did not see an answer.

I can understand your urge to review our list of bugs but unfortunately there are sensitive items mixed in with the mundane. It would require additional effort for us to groom the list to remove such things as planned infrastructure upgrades (which may expose us to security threats) and feature enhancements which we'd prefer to keep under wraps. For these reasons and others we will not be allowing access to the master list. The case numbers OpinioNate includes with each bug fix are so they can be referenced later if necessary.

OpinioNate and I will try always to respond to bug reports when they are mentioned in the forums. In this way you will have some idea of what we are working on.

Thank you for the reply, I think you are missing a good opportunity at public relations - which a simple peruse of the forums shows is needed. Not everything on the list has to be public.

Edited by Frank Broughton