Release Notes May 20 2009

OpinioNate

Greetings cachers. For this month's code release we offer a major upgrade to the Caches Along a Route feature.

In the new version of CAaR, you are presented with a tool for creating routes online using Google Maps. Create a route between 2 points up to 500 miles in length. Play around with detours from the route and you'll be surprised that a "route" can even be shaped as a square! Basic members can experiment with route creation, too.

In addition to many infrastructure tweaks, these bugs were fixed:

Release Notes - Geocaching.com: May 2009

10274: Bulgarian Cache Note

Added Bulgarian cache note

9607: Banned premium member still receives bookmark list notifications

Banned member no longer receives bookmark notifications

10209: Caches that have not been reviewed show on hotel page

Unpublished caches no longer appear on hotel pages

10023: Change "archive" to "delete" in warning dialogue when deleting PQ

Changed "archive" to "delete" when deleting a PQ

9570: Cannot edit cache types for 'cache along a route' pocket query

Fixed issue with CAAR PQs not allowing edit of cache type

Please let us know of any issues you find with this update. As usual, known bugs should be discussed in another thread. Thanks!

Huzzah! The CAaR feature definitely needed this overhaul, particularly since Google Earth would not let you alter the driving directions it gave you. I'm looking forward to saying "good bye" to manually combining Google Earth KML files :o

Can anyone tell me how long the web site is going to be down and tell me why they take it down right in the middle of the day?

ftjak

It was only down for about 30 minutes, and is now back up. It is a bit slow, however, which may be what you're referring to. We're investigating the cause now.

Wow, CAaR is kind of picky about how you enter the start and destination. I tried zipcode to city, state and got an error; had to do city, state to city, state.

Beats Google Earth though.

(Edited to add: OK, I little more reading required. I think there should be an error message if you leave out "to")

Yeah, I tried ZIP code alone because of "You may use any combination of street address, state/province, country and postal code." and got an error message.

Evidently not "any combination".

It didn't like "richmond, indiana" either. Maybe I'll make it happy at some point.

Edited by beejay&esskay

is anyone else having trouble searching via the main geocaching page? when i type in a city or a zip i get sent back to the main page, not to a search results page. Frustrating because I'm trying to head out to a friend's place and do some quick caching with her.

Oh well, better luck next time.

Thanks for updates!

Website is up it's just *really* slow...

It's not "up" in any useful sense of the word! It takes almost forever to load any page, and all actual cache pages only result in "An Error Has Occurred! Your request has resulted in an error. You may choose to retry your previous request. Or you may tell us what you were doing when this error occurred."

Great "maintenance" :o:laughing: !!

Can anyone tell me how long the web site is going to be down and tell me why they take it down right in the middle of the day?

ftjak

It was only down for about 30 minutes, and is now back up. It is a bit slow, however, which may be what you're referring to. We're investigating the cause now.

A bit slow? Perhaps it may help tp research what may happen before it actually does happen.

The range around the route that you can set and visualize in the CAaR planner is only for help in eyeballing the distance you want. It does not translate to the actual route PQ settings, which can be adjusted to whatever value you want as before.

OK, I've been wrong once today so maybe you are right. I thought when I went to edit an existing route PQ that I had to choose in a drop-down list, not enter a value.

And I would verify now, but site response is horrible so I'll check later. (Must be the 200 KML users.)

[Edited to add: Drop down list for distance when editing an existing route PQ. Doubt it is different with a new one, but maybe...

That is a loss. I hope they fix it.]

Edited by beejay&esskay

I'll elaborate on my "site is slow" comment a little. Microsoft had 12 hotfixes for us to apply and surprise of surprises, they aren't working right.

Until we're able to sort out the issue I'm afraid you'll experience various levels of site performance from "slow but usable" to "omg shoot me". Everything is dropped here until we're back online 100%. Thank you for your patience.

I don't know if this has to do with the new release, but I just tried to modify an existing route and kept getting this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

When I try to send a message to a member it errors and states:

Column 'AllowHtmlEmails' does not belong to table Table.

I get that message on Firefox. IE will let me send the message. Unfortunately, it's still sending and it's been over 10 minutes and it hasn't timed out yet.

I don't know if this has to do with the new release, but I just tried to modify an existing route and kept getting this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Seems to be workin now. Thanks to whomever did whatever they did!

Same old story they try and fix things that aren't broken and cause more problems.

Come on now, lets give the team some slack. I just updated a few apps on a couple of my sites and it went well. BUT I did not have hundreds of users trying to use the site while I did the updates. (Plus updates are SO much easier and reliable with CentOS / cPanel) than the platform used here.

There is no good time for GS to make updates, no matter what time they pick it will have an effect to someone in the world.

So gain, lets keep the sny remarks out of this thread for this months updates PLEASE! I am sure Raine, Nate and and the team are doing the best they can under the parameters they have to work with.

When I try to send a message to a member it errors and states:

Column 'AllowHtmlEmails' does not belong to table Table.

I get that message on Firefox. IE will let me send the message. Unfortunately, it's still sending and it's been over 10 minutes and it hasn't timed out yet.

I am using IE8. But it now seems to be working :o

I'll elaborate on my "site is slow" comment a little. Microsoft had 12 hotfixes for us to apply and surprise of surprises, they aren't working right.

Until we're able to sort out the issue I'm afraid you'll experience various levels of site performance from "slow but usable" to "omg shoot me". Everything is dropped here until we're back online 100%. Thank you for your patience.

Windoze??? Really??? Why aren't you guys using a real operating system....Like Linux. :o

Good luck with the "hotfixes". :laughing:

Windoze??? Really??? Why aren't you guys using a real operating system....Like Linux. :o

Good luck with the "hotfixes". :laughing:

Nothing works for me sometimes and other times it's brutally slow.

The only question I have is why GC chooses to do these updates in the middle of the day? Any other reputable sitemaster does this stuff during non-peak hours. This was definitely not done during non-peak hours.

I'm not griping at folks just wondering why the decision was made to do it during regular business hours?

We're a global game. Open 24/7 to the world so it's hard to decide a window of opportunity when it won't "effect" someone.

We're in the process of rolling back the "fixes" Microsoft install on our servers and will have things back to normal in the next few hours. The site will be slow, but we are working as fast as we can.

Thank you for your patience!

-Raine

** edited to figure out if I wanted to use the word effect or affect +sigh+ **

Edited by Raine

Nothing works for me sometimes and other times it's brutally slow.

The only question I have is why GC chooses to do these updates in the middle of the day? Any other reputable sitemaster does this stuff during non-peak hours. This was definitely not done during non-peak hours.

I'm not griping at folks just wondering why the decision was made to do it during regular business hours?

If by "regular business hours" you mean 9am - 5pm (ish), I'll just mention that it's been through the evening here :o

As someone else mentioned, whenever GSP decide to do it, it'll be "inconvenient" for someone, on some part of the globe... It's stuff that needs to be done... Every time these Release Notes get done there's someone complaining about the timing of it...

Can't folks just chill out, forget about the site for a few hours, go and have a few coffees, come back when it's all done?

This is just a hobby/past time/game/whatever! :laughing:

MrsB

Looks like a neat feature. I will try it out more once the site's back up to speed.

A few thoughts:

• Is it really necessary to use a __doPostBack for the "Create a Route" link on the My page?
  • The yellow highlight color on the map seemed perhaps a little faint.
  • Since you're creating a route anyway, why not have two separate Start and End boxes and save the system the difficulty of figuring out the grammar?

It looks fine, but I'm going to miss the option for choosing the distance on either side of the Route to search.

I like to search only .2 or .3 miles off the road on road trips. This gives me only roadside caches. The new option has a .5 minimum.

It looks fine, but I'm going to miss the option for choosing the distance on either side of the Route to search.

I like to search only .2 or .3 miles off the road on road trips. This gives me only roadside caches. The new option has a .5 minimum.

See post #23.

Jim

I've been playing with it, I really like the pick and pull feature to alter your route, I've been wishing for that feature.

Jon, and Jim, I can't see where I can choose .2 or .3 miles, all I see is the .5 option.

Am I missing something?

Greetings cachers. For this month's code release we offer a major upgrade to the Caches Along a Route feature.

In the new version of CAaR, you are presented with a tool for creating routes online using Google Maps. Create a route between 2 points up to 500 miles in length. Play around with detours from the route and you'll be surprised that a "route" can even be shaped as a square! Basic members can experiment with route creation, too.

Wow...definitely cool.

Thanks!

The "Search Radius" dropdown does NOT affect your Pocket Query. It is not linked to that at all. It merely helps you guesstimate how far out from your route you want to go. Nothing has changed in the Pocket Query creation process itself; there, you can set whatever distance out you want just as before.

The "Search Radius" dropdown does NOT affect your Pocket Query. It is not linked to that at all. It merely helps you guesstimate how far out from your route you want to go. Nothing has changed in the Pocket Query creation process itself; there, you can set whatever distance out you want just as before.

No matter what address I enter in the search box I get an error "unknown address: No corresponding geographic location could be found for the specified address"

I have tried all sorts of addresses and combination

No matter what address I enter in the search box I get an error "unknown address: No corresponding geographic location could be found for the specified address"

What route are you trying to create? Are you sure you clicked on "create new route" first? I get from your profile that youre from Ashland, MA. So I just tried as an example "Ashland, MA to Portland, ME" (without the quotes) and it gives a pretty neat route of 135.4 miles. Or try just ZIP codes, I don't know what codes you have over there, but just tried as an example in California "94101 to 92103", which gives a nice route from San Francisco all the way down to San Diego. (even though the tool complains it's over 500 miles.. it's 500.2 actually :o )

You can always just click on the map to create your start and end points.

-Raine