Geomate.jr Owners Report

Mine smashed up! No idea how, grabbed it from the glove compartment and the screen had a huge crack in and LCD screen leakage.

G'day Maingray

I'm terribly sorry to hear that! Let's get you back up and running ASAP. If you can send me an email at warren@apisphere.com and provide me with a postal address, I'll arrange for an immediate replacement.

Cheers

Warren

I've got a cross state road trip coming up this weekend and I'm anxious to get Jr. back out on the road again. I think part of the little guys charm is the fact that it's so old school. Follow a little arrow while only knowing the distance to the cache without any maps or satellite imagery. Yeah, I'll also take my new PN-40 and enjoy it's paperless capabilities on the trip too, but I'm sure I'll have a fun time with JR. too. :blink:

Called the local REI in Austin, TX and they said they don't have it yet. I'm concerned that even if I had it, that the website doesn't look like it's ready. Nothing would be worse than to actually get one, bring it home, and be told the website isn't quite ready yet.

Note that I do own a Geomate Jr. and love it.

Edited by games0802

Called the local REI in Austin, TX and they said they don't have it yet. I'm concerned that even if I had it, that the website doesn't look like it's ready. Nothing would be worse than to actually get one, bring it home, and be told the website isn't quite ready yet.

Note that I do own a Geomate Jr. and love it.

I called REI on-line and they said they won't have it available to ship for about a week or maybe more. I have not placed an on-line order. I was hoping the stores will have them in stock soon. I, too, wondered about the web-site. :P

I've got a cross state road trip coming up this weekend and I'm anxious to get Jr. back out on the road again. I think part of the little guys charm is the fact that it's so old school. Follow a little arrow while only knowing the distance to the cache without any maps or satellite imagery. Yeah, I'll also take my new PN-40 and enjoy it's paperless capabilities on the trip too, but I'm sure I'll have a fun time with JR. too. :D

We just got back from the north shore of lake superior in Minnesota and had the geo mate jr. with my garmin 60csx and found all five cashes with our son and the geomate jr leading the way! This is a great little gps! :blink:

I certainly can't argue with you TBF1. As usual the Geomate Jr. performed better than I would have ever thought a simple unit like it could. We hit one rest area and my nephew was carrying it in his jeans pocket went inside the rest area building restroom (brick construction). When we walked outside he pulled Jr. out of his jeans pocket and immediately it was pointing right to the cache's location which was about 150 feet away. On the way to the cache location it consistenly was pointing right towards the cache location while under extremely heavy tree cover. I can guarantee you my $200 Vista HCx never was that reliable.

There's no doubt about it that my PN-40 is my go to GPSr for days I'll be caching in only one area. However, for a road trip where you just want some quick smilies Jr. can't be beat with it's 250,000 geocaches preloaded and just waiting to point me to the nearest cache while on road trips. :blink:

Warren,

I bought a Geomaet.jr when I was home on R&R and I procrastinated and did not order it in time to arrive before I had to leave. I just clicked on the link for the update kit that was listed on Amazon. One of the things it said was “Load complete list of Geocache locations for other countries.” Let’s say I am in Afghanistan and I might be making stops in Kuwait or Kyrgyzstan and will not know until the last minute can I load more than one country ahead of time? There are so few caches in Afghanistan, Kuwait, and Kyrgyzstan I can just do a PQ for each country and load them all on my Colorado 400t with GSAK. But what if I was station in Germany and was going to travel to several countries in one trip? I am looking forward to using the geomate.jr for the first time when I return state side in November as I will be making a road trip that will cover nine states.

Today my wife, our 3 year old daughter and I and went out on our first geocaching adventure using the Geomate.jr. Our goal was to find 3 caches and we were successfull. Two were one and a half star difficulty and the other was a three star difficulty which took all of about 10 minutes to find.

I did research and browsed forums trying to decide which GPS hand held to purchase. I really liked the Delorme Earthmate PN-40 but was having a hard time justifying spending that much on a unit. I am very happy I got the Geomate.jr and look foward to more geocaching adventures.

Today my wife, our 3 year old daughter and I and went out on our first geocaching adventure using the Geomate.jr. Our goal was to find 3 caches and we were successfull. Two were one and a half star difficulty and the other was a three star difficulty which took all of about 10 minutes to find.

I did research and browsed forums trying to decide which GPS hand held to purchase. I really liked the Delorme Earthmate PN-40 but was having a hard time justifying spending that much on a unit. I am very happy I got the Geomate.jr and look foward to more geocaching adventures.

Congratulations on such a successful start in the game! I love my PN-40 which is one of the GPSr's you considered, but I also own a Geomate Jr. and I have to tell you my love of the Geomate Jr. is just as strong. For me each GPSr serves a very specific geocaching need for me and they're equally prized possesions in my eyes. Welcome to the game and I'm sure you'll soon be as addicted as the rest of us. Happy caching! ;)

Welcome to the addiction, oops I mean Geocaching. Your best bet is to go find a few more caches over the next month and do research on GPS units. I love my Colorado 400t, but I can also justify the cost as I use it for work and not just Geocaching. Once you have found one that you like and will do everything you want it to do go to that e-place and you can find it for less than half of retail.

According to the Rei website, the update kit only allows you to update caches that are not marked premium. If you are a Geocache.com premium member, will it (the update kit) allow you to update the premium only caches?

For those who have received the update kit, how easy is it to use it?

I'm not sure it could get any easier. Plug it in, go to web site and press update button.

Has anyone had difficulty installing the geomate jr update? I've tried to download and install it four times and I can not get it to install correctly? Do I need to change my security settings to install it successfully? Any ideas?

I've check the troubleshooting guide already. It gets to the actually "installing please wait" and it never finishes installing.

Oh yes, I have Vista.

Edited by izitmidnight

Has anyone had difficulty installing the geomate jr update? I've tried to download and install it four times and I can not get it to install correctly? Do I need to change my security settings to install it successfully? Any ideas?

I've check the troubleshooting guide already. It gets to the actually "installing please wait" and it never finishes installing.

Oh yes, I have Vista.

I haven't gotten the update yet, but here's what I've had to do with several other programs using Vista:

Instead of "running" the download, "save" it to your desktop. Then right click on the icon and click "run as administrator." Then proceed as normal. Hope this helps.

According to the Rei website, the update kit only allows you to update caches that are not marked premium. If you are a Geocache.com premium member, will it (the update kit) allow you to update the premium only caches?

For those who have received the update kit, how easy is it to use it?

No premium caches with the junior. There's a 4* cache like 200 feet from my house & its not in there either... I was really hoping the update kit would allow harder caches too. :D

I haven't gotten the update yet, but here's what I've had to do with several other programs using Vista:

Instead of "running" the download, "save" it to your desktop. Then right click on the icon and click "run as administrator." Then proceed as normal. Hope this helps.

THank you, but when I right click, I do not have the option "run as administrator". Oh well, back to the drawing board. :D

On the way to the cache location it consistenly was pointing right towards the cache location while under extremely heavy tree cover. I can guarantee you my $200 Vista HCx never was that reliable.

I think you have a problem with your Vista HCx. My Venture HC has amazing sensitivity in heavy bush area and even inside. Under a wet tree canopy on a stormy day, I still get great reception leading me right to the cache.

On the way to the cache location it consistenly was pointing right towards the cache location while under extremely heavy tree cover. I can guarantee you my $200 Vista HCx never was that reliable.

I think you have a problem with your Vista HCx. My Venture HC has amazing sensitivity in heavy bush area and even inside. Under a wet tree canopy on a stormy day, I still get great reception leading me right to the cache.

You are correct I had lots of issues with my Vista HCx and I'm so glad I got rid of it and now own a Geomate Jr. and a Delorme PN-40. I'm 100% thrilled with both of them and recommend them whenever I think somebody would benefit from owning one. Each has it's own specific usefulness to me and they both compliment each other very nicely. Now that I own 2 awesome little caching machines I can honestly say I really don't expect to feel the need to upgrade for a long long time. As a matter of fact next week my nephews are taking Jr. on vacation with them to Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas. I'm sure they'll give old Jr. a nice workout! :)

I have been researching the Geomate Jr. because I would like get a GPSr for my soon to be 6 year old, Lex.

So far the key factors that are convincing me are:

• Size
  • battery life
  • simplistic interface

I need one thing to convince me. The ability to input at least 5 sets of custom coords. We don't live in a cache dense area and my new landlord will only let me place 1 public cache on the property. So I need the ability to place several exclusively for Lex so he can practice.

Are there plans to allow some custom coords in the near future?

If not I'll just get him a Mio and soft mod it for about the same price as the Jr. + update kit.

I would also like to know if the arrow starts spinning when the unit is not moving? That may convince me to get one for myself.

Edited by Vater_Araignee

I have been researching the Geomate Jr. because I would like get a GPSr for my soon to be 6 year old, Lex.

• Size
  • battery life
  • simplistic interface

I need one thing to convince me. The ability to input at least 5 sets of custom coords. We don't live in a cache dense area and my new landlord will only let me place 1 public cache on the property. So I need the ability to place several exclusively for Lex so he can practice.

If not I'll just get him a Mio and soft mod it for about the same price as the Jr. + update kit.

I would also like to know if the arrow starts spinning when the unit is not moving? That may convince me to get one for myself.

Hi. I don't know what our friends at Geomate Jr. are planning for the future, but as of this time no there is not a way to input any custom coordinates for practice (if I'm wrong and there is hopefully somebody will speak up and correct me). However, I have to tell you that I don't really think that would be necessary since they've really geared the Geomate Jr. towards the capacity of a small child (I'd guess say age 10 years old or older) or an adult like me that is very non tech savvy. I would suspect that the average 6 year old might not be able to grasp the idea of how to determine which cache to pursue (due to deciding the distance factor, the cache difficulty, the terrain difficulty, the container size, etc.), but once somebody makes that decision then I'm confident that they could hand the Geomate Jr. to a 6 year old and he could easily follow the arrow to the cache location. Once he makes his find it's a 1 step process to mark it as found and he'll see the reward of a smilie for making his find.

When standing still the arrow does disappear. I'm not really used to that since this is my first GPSr that does that, but usually by taking 4 or 5 steps the arrow reappears to guide you.

The Geomate Jr. really performs much better than you'd expect for basically a childs toy. I think the best way I can think to describe it would be it's a little slow initially locking on to the satellites, but when it does it grabs ahold of them with the tenacity of a pit bull dog.

The Geomate Jr. really is an awesome little caching machine and between it and my PN-40 I have everything I could possibly want in a GPSr and I don't anticipate having to upgrade for a very long time. Good luck in finding the best GPSr for your son to use and happy caching! :)

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

• Size
  • battery life
  • simplistic interface

You can not load coordinates but you can mark a 'home' coordinate. I have a 5 year old and i hid a cache in my yard and set that spot as 'home'. Then set him on his way to find it (obviously I did not have him start from that location). Although you can only do one 'home' location at a time this should be able to accomplish the practice you are looking for.

This unit is perfect for the age range you are looking at. My son loves being able to be the 'leader' while looking for a cache.

• Size
  • battery life
  • simplistic interface

You can not load coordinates but you can mark a 'home' coordinate. I have a 5 year old and i hid a cache in my yard and set that spot as 'home'. Then set him on his way to find it (obviously I did not have him start from that location). Although you can only do one 'home' location at a time this should be able to accomplish the practice you are looking for.

This unit is perfect for the age range you are looking at. My son loves being able to be the 'leader' while looking for a cache.

GREAT answer, THANKS for sharing it with us!

Marking one location, calling it home, allowing the practice and then removing the home mark and starting over in another place would give you plenty of practice. You could even let him learn to mark as well!

• Size
  • battery life
  • simplistic interface

GREAT answer, THANKS for sharing it with us!

Marking one location, calling it home, allowing the practice and then removing the home mark and starting over in another place would give you plenty of practice. You could even let him learn to mark as well!

• Size
  • battery life
  • simplistic interface

Wow! I have to agree with Rockin Roddy that your answer is great. I never would have thought of that. Thanks for the education! :drama:

• Size
  • battery life
  • simplistic interface

Well, I understood I could do the with the set home feature, unfortunately one of the legacies I handed to my son is ADHD with a touch of numerical fixation, 3 seems to be his key. If I make him wait in between then I'll have to "encourage" him to do the next two in order to recapture his interest. Past that, one at at time isn't a problem.

Hi. I don't know what our friends at Geomate Jr. are planning for the future, but as of this time no there is not a way to input any custom coordinates for practice (if I'm wrong and there is hopefully somebody will speak up and correct me). However, I have to tell you that I don't really think that would be necessary since they've really geared the Geomate Jr. towards the capacity of a small child (I'd guess say age 10 years old or older) or an adult like me that is very non tech savvy. I would suspect that the average 6 year old might not be able to grasp the idea of how to determine which cache to pursue (due to deciding the distance factor, the cache difficulty, the terrain difficulty, the container size, etc.), but once somebody makes that decision then I'm confident that they could hand the Geomate Jr. to a 6 year old and he could easily follow the arrow to the cache location. Once he makes his find it's a 1 step process to mark it as found and he'll see the reward of a smilie for making his find.

When standing still the arrow does disappear. I'm not really used to that since this is my first GPSr that does that, but usually by taking 4 or 5 steps the arrow reappears to guide you.

The Geomate Jr. really performs much better than you'd expect for basically a childs toy. I think the best way I can think to describe it would be it's a little slow initially locking on to the satellites, but when it does it grabs ahold of them with the tenacity of a pit bull dog.

The Geomate Jr. really is an awesome little caching machine and between it and my PN-40 I have everything I could possibly want in a GPSr and I don't anticipate having to upgrade for a very long time. Good luck in finding the best GPSr for your son to use and happy caching! :drama:

You would be amazed at what such a young child can grasp. Last year we found a cache with a smiley face stamper in it, it was a sig item from S5280, my wife look at the name and said that's a mouth full, my 10 year old read it out loud "Es five thousand two hundred and eighty" Lex took one look at it and said "Look dad, Es Mile, Smile".

By six years of age a kid should be able to determine what number is bigger up to a minimum of three digits, so determining terrain and difficulty is, well, kids stuff.

I updated the caches on my GeoMate.jr today and noticed that the firmware also updated from V1002 to V1004. Does anyone know what changes were incorporated? :lol:

G'day Colonial Cats

Sorry to keep you hanging and not getting back to you about the firmware change. But yes, very observant!! One feature of the Update Kit is the ability to upgrade the firmware at the same time as a cache list update.

The differences from v1002 and v1004 are pretty unnoticeable for the average user but there are small things like making sure the "Find Clear Sky" message only shows when needed, the found list has been increased from 20 to 99 (pushing for 1000), the direction arrow now appears and flashes to begin with to help prompt people to move, and small little error message changes. For the most part however, there are changes that are needed to support future features that, well, I can't really talk about yet.

Cheers

Warren

I updated the caches on my GeoMate.jr today and noticed that the firmware also updated from V1002 to V1004. Does anyone know what changes were incorporated? :D

G'day Colonial Cats

Sorry to keep you hanging and not getting back to you about the firmware change. But yes, very observant!! One feature of the Update Kit is the ability to upgrade the firmware at the same time as a cache list update.

The differences from v1002 and v1004 are pretty unnoticeable for the average user but there are small things like making sure the "Find Clear Sky" message only shows when needed, the found list has been increased from 20 to 99 (pushing for 1000), the direction arrow now appears and flashes to begin with to help prompt people to move, and small little error message changes. For the most part however, there are changes that are needed to support future features that, well, I can't really talk about yet.

Cheers

Warren

Yeah I keep going back to mygeomate.com to update and every time I visit I hope to see the new feature link functioning.......we need to be able to multi cache...........pllleeeaase Warren!

jr. rocks :D

I purchased my Geomate a couple of months ago and I think it's a pretty cool little unit. I recently used it to find a couple of caches on an unexpected trip out of state and it worked like a charm. I prefer to have more information when caching, so I usually use my GPS and Palm...but the Geomate certainly came in handy when I hadn't loaded any area caches into my regular devices.

The only problem I've had with it is that I have been unable to mark any caches as FOUND...the feature doesn't seem to want to work on my unit. It's also a little bit of an inconvenience to keep turning it on and off again when you're travelling up the interstate with the hopes of grabbing a few quick P&G along the way, but since it was designed for kids and most kids aren't doing much interstate travel, I'm NOT complaining.

I HAVE located two caches with the Geomate that aren't on Geocaching.com so that I can log my find. What's with that?!?!

Edited by GreyhoundCrazy

I purchased my Geomate a couple of months ago and I think it's a pretty cool little unit. I recently used it to find a couple of caches on an unexpected trip out of state and it worked like a charm. I prefer to have more information when caching, so I usually use my GPS and Palm...but the Geomate certainly came in handy when I hadn't loaded any area caches into my regular devices.

The only problem I've had with it is that I have been unable to mark any caches as FOUND...the feature doesn't seem to want to work on my unit. It's also a little bit of an inconvenience to keep turning it on and off again when you're travelling up the interstate with the hopes of grabbing a few quick P&G along the way, but since it was designed for kids and most kids aren't doing much interstate travel, I'm NOT complaining.

I HAVE located two caches with the Geomate that aren't on Geocaching.com so that I can log my find. What's with that?!?!

G'day GreyhoundCrazy

Hmmmm, caches that are not on geocaching.com?? I'm thinking perhaps you are accidentally reading a '1' (one) as an 'i' (or the other way around) or perhaps a '0' (zero) as an 'o' (oh).

I would also like to help you understand why you can't mark a cache as found. Rather than turn this forum into a direct support channel, can you email me direct at warren@apisphere.com? I'm sure we can work out what is going on pretty quickly.

Glad to hear you are liking the Geomate.jr!! I'm having a blast with mine!

Cheers

Warren

I also was led to a cache that was not there and was not listed on geocaching.com . one problem was i was trying to show my grandson how to use the new gps.....I must say it is a cool gadget that works very well

G'day GreyhoundCrazy

Hmmmm, caches that are not on geocaching.com?? I'm thinking perhaps you are accidentally reading a '1' (one) as an 'i' (or the other way around) or perhaps a '0' (zero) as an 'o' (oh).

I would also like to help you understand why you can't mark a cache as found. Rather than turn this forum into a direct support channel, can you email me direct at warren@apisphere.com? I'm sure we can work out what is going on pretty quickly.

Cheers

Warren

I also was led to a cache that was not there and was not listed on geocaching.com . one problem was i was trying to show my grandson how to use the new gps.....I must say it is a cool gadget that works very well

G'day GreyhoundCrazy

Cheers

Warren

Well Geomate Jr. earns it's salt one more time. As many you know I was a very early adopter and subjected the device to some rather good "real world" tests and posted my experiences. I have often read reports of those who deride this rather unique device and refer to it as a toy. Tsk. Tsk.

Let me set the scene, ... Asaxist and I set out for a three day cache run in order that she could complete the N. California DeLorme Challenge. Her remaining pages were in the high desert of N.E. Calif. and the high Sierra's so the impetus was to finish up before the snows closed off the high country.

Imagine this ... we forge our way up and over the ice and snow clogged Cedar Pass into Cedarville, California. We pull into a wide spot and I see a Cacher's Chagrin all over Asaxist's face followed by a common cachers phrase. " Oooooooops missed the turn, cache is behind us by 20 miles". " Lets go back, whereupon I said " well we've come this far, lets see if there is something around here". Asaxist responded by stating " I never loaded anything this far out'. Soooooooo I fire up Geomate Jr. Lo and behold, a cache 5 miles straight ahead. Yepppppper Jr. sits us down right on top of the cache.

Get this picture ... the mountains around us covered in 3-6 feet of snow the valley we were in frozen with hoar frost and condensation rising from a stream close to the cache. I wander over to the stream and the water temperature is well over 130 degrees. Geomate Jr. had taken us to a geothermal feature in the middle of nowhere. Got to love the surprises in this activity.

But you really have to appreciate a device that has 250,000 caches cuddled up inside that you can up-date as often as you like. But wait it gets better, over the balance of the 3 day 1,100 mile caching run Asaxist periodically asked >> " what does Jr. Say "

Noooooooooooo I don't work for the company.

However, I own or control 20+ GPS'r devices ranging fro the basic hand-helds, through the 60CSX, Oregon 300's, DeLorme PN 20 & 40 plus panel mount devices for aircraft navigation. >>>> I do have an appreciation for good equipment that performs. <<<< In my instance GeomateJr. fills a role and has an honored place in the stable.

Edited by humboldt flier