Geomate.jr Owners Report

This seemed like a really fun little hobby for me for one main reason, my 5yo daughter Erika. I took her for a walk recently in a nice wooded park near our home, and she loved running through the brush, lifting logs looking for bugs and snakes, I had to grab her to keep her from jumping in the pond after a bullfrog she saw!

This is awesome. Thank you so much for sharing. If I had to point to one reason why we developed the Geomate.jr, this is it - to give an affordable and easy way for parents and kids to enjoy geocaching and the outdoors together.

BTW, when you setup the Jr to recognize your current location as your HOME location, does it list the lat/long? If it doesn't, that would be great, then people could use it to place caches as well. (Forgive my ignorance if it does, haven't even powered it on yet!)

Yep, you can totally use the HOME feature to quickly mark a location of your own hidden geocache and then put it into the hands of someone else to go find. I have done this numerous times with various kids and adults. It's quick, easy, and fun!

To do this, simply press and hold both buttons to mark a HOME position. By default, that will then be your selected target and you're good to go! You can go to the next closest geocache by hitting the NEXT button (the big one on the left). And by pressing and holding the NEXT button, it will take you back to HOME. You will know you are heading HOME as it shows a little HO on the screen.

Good luck! I'm sure you and your daughter will have a blast.

Cheers

Warren

I Continue to be impressed. See my initial review posted 05/29/09 @ 10:29 Pretty much says it all

As for the ones you didn't find, this is a good point and one we want to address - not sure how just yet, but working on it. We are looking at implementing better geocache management ability through the update kit as well. This way we can keep the product very easy to use but have more powerful features for those 'advanced' users.

Without a doubt, you're going to need to have some way of setting an Ignore flag on/off. There are going to be nearby missing caches, and caches that have frustrated people to the point where they don't want to see them again.

(Apologies if I've missed the answer somewhere in this thread...)

Do you have plans for a European version of the Geomate.jr?

MrsB

As you can probably guess, we are starting off in the US first to see how everything goes. As much as we would love to open up distribution in Europe and other places immediately, we already have our hands full for some time.

Even though the Geomate.jr comes loaded with US geocaches by default, with an Update Kit you will be able to load any geocache list (including Europe). So if you managed to acquire a Geomate.jr and Update Kit, Europe is good to go! Oh, you will also be able to change the units to metric.

Cheers

Warren

Good news/bad news. The good news is that GeoMate is offering a rebate on the update kit for those of us who have already bought a GeoMate.jr. The bad news for me, and I suspect for many other cachers, is that I didn't save the UPC from the packaging. The packaging is long gone and we cannot get the rebate without it. :) I believe that there will be a good percentage, if not the majority, of those who have purchased JR will not be able to take advantage of the rebate for this reason.

Looking forward to the update. Twice I've tried this unit, in the general area where the geocaching.com website has caches listed (based on the google map), and it didn't point me towards any of them. They weren't multi's or puzzles, nor were they too new (anything older than 4/15/09, right?). I really hope the update corrects this.

The ones in question were:

GC17EGQ

GC1PR26

GC1NX5R

Are they actually included? Did I mess something up potentially?

I really like that this seems to have an audience for not just those new to the hobby but also those who have been around the proverbial block a great deal of times.

I like the point that it's an interesting option for on the go, randomly wanting to cache, caching.

10,000 waypoints in a PQ and the same capacity in your GPS would work as well if not better for this exact purpose.

...3) Description & Hint for caches...

The Description is mandatory to include my caches on this device. Consider this a term of my own lisence for this site and that device to use my caches.

Sorry but every now and then there is something important in the description. If a person doesn't have access by some method to read it before seeking the cache, that's a problem.

Hi Warren,

Are you allowed to explain the technical details of the device? How much ram, flash, rom, what type of processor, mhz, screen resolution etc..

Can the device's software be updated, is it in flash rom or rom rom?

Have you considered opening up the device so hackers (like me) can write their own software to run on it, similiar to what rockbox has done for the ipod (albeit without consent).

Cheers,

Kevin Pickell

911turbos

http://code.google.com/p/gpsturbo/

Good news/bad news. The good news is that GeoMate is offering a rebate on the update kit for those of us who have already bought a GeoMate.jr. The bad news for me, and I suspect for many other cachers, is that I didn't save the UPC from the packaging. The packaging is long gone and we cannot get the rebate without it. :rolleyes: I believe that there will be a good percentage, if not the majority, of those who have purchased JR will not be able to take advantage of the rebate for this reason.

D@mn it....

I have the orignal package, but not the receipt...

I don't think I could get it off the charge card either, it will just show total price of completed sale and I bought a few other things at the same time......

This is kinda dumb, why would you buy the update kit if you did not have the Geomatey jr.???

I did a search and I didn't find a thread where mention of geomate.jr didn't devolve into some angst or other and I didn't see any real reports from owners that were easily searchable soooo....

My wife went to REI and got me a Geomate.jr today. (Geocaching's first attempt at the hula hoop IMO.)

It will get a 2,500 mile road test across 9 states to GW7 and back the long way around in the next 10 days.

My first impression is pretty neutral. It's minimalistic, light as a feather, and not as intuitive as other devices, but I won't be testing it out on an actual cache until tomorrow.

It kept telling me to find open sky and I was standing in my front yard that has only 1 tree. :) Okay, that didn't impress me much but it was the first few minutes the device was ever turned on in my possession, so maybe it was just figuring out where it was. :laughing:

Anyone else have one to report on? :wub:

>>>>> Hmmmmmmm can not open page two of this thread am on a Mac anyone else facing this headache

I did a search and I didn't find a thread where mention of geomate.jr didn't devolve into some angst or other and I didn't see any real reports from owners that were easily searchable soooo....

My wife went to REI and got me a Geomate.jr today. (Geocaching's first attempt at the hula hoop IMO.)

It will get a 2,500 mile road test across 9 states to GW7 and back the long way around in the next 10 days.

My first impression is pretty neutral. It's minimalistic, light as a feather, and not as intuitive as other devices, but I won't be testing it out on an actual cache until tomorrow.

It kept telling me to find open sky and I was standing in my front yard that has only 1 tree. :) Okay, that didn't impress me much but it was the first few minutes the device was ever turned on in my possession, so maybe it was just figuring out where it was. :laughing:

Anyone else have one to report on? :wub:

>>>>> Hmmmmmmm can not open page two of this thread am on a Mac anyone else facing this headache

My macbook opens it just fine.

My team has been on the road with a new Jr. The date of the cache load show on the startup page is April 2009 but the device has no caches newer than last October. The sensitivity of the receiver is superb and the device works as advertised. Looking forward to getting the downloader kit and working with it. A 9 year old used it with no problem at all.

If you plan on heading out to find new caches, stop! The report earlier in this forum about a 4-6 month delay in cache content is true. Once the downloader kit comes out, we will have much more to talk about. :D

Dingbat11 and Fastboy

We are very new to geocaching, and have never owned or used a GPS before. We decided to buy a Geomate Jr. since they are much cheaper than nice GPS's. We went to REI yesterday, bought the Geomate Jr. and found 3 caches yesterday afternoon. We are having a blast and feel that it was money well-spent. I suspect that, as we learn more about this hobby, we may eventually buy a "real" GPS, but the Geomate Jr. has been a fantastic way to get our family started. I have been recommending them to my friends who are interested in geocaching. By the way, we have 3 young children who have been able to operate the Geomate Jr. with no problems.

*phew!* I got it fixed... not sure what happened there, but I hope it doesn't happen again!

Anyway... My bro & I went out yesterday. He uses his iphone. There was one in particular I was after, but, of course, I didn't know much about it. He wanted to know specific coords. on the cache. So, I told him to use his fancy schmancy phone & look it up. According to him, the whole point is to find out the coords for a cache. (I thought the point was to find the ccache!).

Anyway, we couldnt go after the one I was eyeing for a variety of reasons, so, we detoured to another area. I knew there was a cache there, from searching on here.... he knew there was a cache there from hanging out & 'seeing people head into the woods'. He's making fun of my little junior every step of the way, til he starts heading the wrong way!

all in all, i've decided im not trading my junior for an iphone!! (& I did eventually get to go back to the cache I wanted... I took my nearly 80-year old grandma with me, we hiked straight up a hill of nothing but mud & tree roots & she found the cache without even knowing what she was doing!! I'll take her over the iphone too!!!!)

*phew!* I got it fixed... not sure what happened there, but I hope it doesn't happen again!

Anyway... My bro & I went out yesterday. He uses his iphone. There was one in particular I was after, but, of course, I didn't know much about it. He wanted to know specific coords. on the cache. So, I told him to use his fancy schmancy phone & look it up. According to him, the whole point is to find out the coords for a cache. (I thought the point was to find the ccache!).

Anyway, we couldnt go after the one I was eyeing for a variety of reasons, so, we detoured to another area. I knew there was a cache there, from searching on here.... he knew there was a cache there from hanging out & 'seeing people head into the woods'. He's making fun of my little junior every step of the way, til he starts heading the wrong way!

all in all, i've decided im not trading my junior for an iphone!! (& I did eventually get to go back to the cache I wanted... I took my nearly 80-year old grandma with me, we hiked straight up a hill of nothing but mud & tree roots & she found the cache without even knowing what she was doing!! I'll take her over the iphone too!!!!)

your grandmother sounds like a hoot.

Certainly the cache is a factor. However, the journey with it's sights, sounds and glory of nature float my boat

I think everyone on this forum has already picked up on it, but we are offering a rebate on an Update Kit. It's our way of saying "thanks for being one of the first to own a Geomate.jr!" Details can be found here: http://www.mygeomate.com/update_kit

Oh, and there is also an FAQ's about the Update Kit on the same page to help give a little more Update Kit insight.

Cheers

Warren

Looking forward to the update. Twice I've tried this unit, in the general area where the geocaching.com website has caches listed (based on the google map), and it didn't point me towards any of them. They weren't multi's or puzzles, nor were they too new (anything older than 4/15/09, right?). I really hope the update corrects this.

The ones in question were:

GC17EGQ

GC1PR26

GC1NX5R

Are they actually included? Did I mess something up potentially?

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier on this, it slipped through the cracks. The reason you don't see these Geocaches is the filtering we apply to the default database. As a rule, we don't include geocaches that haven't been around for at least 4 to 6 months at the time of the current list creation (for staying power) and we don't include difficulty above 3 (family-friendliness). Looking at the caches you mentioned:

GC17EGQ: Difficulty too high

GC1PR26: Hasn't been in place long enough

GC1NX5R: Hasn't been in place long enough

But the good news is that with the Update Kit (http://www.mygeomate.com/update_kit) you will be able to select a US database that is unfiltered so you will get all of the hard ones and caches that have been placed up to 24hrs prior the update.

Hi Warren,

Are you allowed to explain the technical details of the device? How much ram, flash, rom, what type of processor, mhz, screen resolution etc..

Can the device's software be updated, is it in flash rom or rom rom?

Have you considered opening up the device so hackers (like me) can write their own software to run on it, similiar to what rockbox has done for the ipod (albeit without consent).

Cheers,

Kevin Pickell

911turbos

http://code.google.com/p/gpsturbo/

Hmmmm, don't really want to go too deep into the technical details. But I can say "yes, the device's software can be updated and is something we plan to take advantage of with the Update Kit. People will be able to access the latest features through a software upgrade using an Update Kit."

Well for once in my life I have held onto receipts and packaging ... but for the life of me I can not find any information about the update product nor any of the information you folks are chatting about. >>> Has the up-dater kit been released. Thanks in advance for any assistance which might filter behind the Redwood Curtain

Well for once in my life I have held onto receipts and packaging ... but for the life of me I can not find any information about the update product nor any of the information you folks are chatting about. >>> Has the up-dater kit been released. Thanks in advance for any assistance which might filter behind the Redwood Curtain

Perhaps I can be of assistance.

You can find information about the Update Kit, the rebate, as well as an Update FAQs here: http://www.mygeomate.com/update_kit

We are getting dangerously close to the release of the Update Kit and admittedly, it's looking good! I think you'll be impressed. It will most likely be available for sale early July.

Cheers

Warren

and you'll let us know the minute they go on sale? :laughing:

Nah, this is our little secret - just between you and me. :lol: Unless someone else is reading this, but what are the chances...

Nuh Uuh ... I want to be in on the secret too ... I am sure that no one is watching. LOL Sooooo please rattle my chain when the electronic doo hickey dimmer flodjet is available. Many Thanks in advance

and you'll let us know the minute they go on sale? :D

Nah, this is our little secret - just between you and me. :anicute: Unless someone else is reading this, but what are the chances...

Nuh Uuh ... I want to be in on the secret too ... I am sure that no one is watching. LOL Sooooo please rattle my chain when the electronic doo hickey dimmer flodjet is available. Many Thanks in advance

can i play?

and you'll let us know the minute they go on sale? :D

Nah, this is our little secret - just between you and me. :anicute: Unless someone else is reading this, but what are the chances...

can i play?

Hmmmmmmmmmm, Let's see ... if'n we get a big looooooong trailer, put a band on either end, add a big sign with puuuurty pictures of GEO-Jr call it Geo-Jr's BAND WAGON and drive reaeeeeeeeeaaaaaly slow in granny creeper gear I bet we will soon have lots of folks pile on board. Even horsies can play too. Tee, Hee, Hee, Hee, Hee. On a more serious note Jr. is performing like a champ and it has not belched yet. I still consider it to be a great adjunct to the stable. Case in point ... forgot to load some PQ's and went out to play just happened to be in the boonies and no cell coverage sooooooooo the iPhone would not play. But Jr. was more than up to the task and ... In anxious anticipation of product release.

Will we have to go to a brick and mortar store or can Warren sell out of his office or trunk???

Edited by humboldt flier

After reading all of the positive feedback on this device, I just had to go out and buy one. I mean, for $69.95 how can you go wrong? After picking it up yesterday, I tried it out on a nearby cache and it worked flawlessly as I found it with no problem.

It's a great simple device, designed to do what it was specifically made for and does it well. I look forward to the update kit and playing with this device some more. I think when they make some software changes and add features and fix things, this device is going to be a real winner. In fact, the guy at REI told me they have been selling a ton of these and are constantly re-ordering them.

I dream a day when the market contains a mapping gps device 100% dedicated to geocaching. This is a huge step forward and priced perfectly for an entry device into this, very new, market. I also inquired at REI, they have been selling like hot cakes! They are demo'ing it next week in MN at a park, next wednesday.

Maybe someone can answer this, but can you do a master reset on these devices to put them back into a default state?

G'day Moonpup

First, congrats on your Geomate.jr purchase! It's always good to hear from users of the Geomate.jr. As to your reset question, we don't really have a master reset as there really is nothing to reset to default settings. The two user configured items at this point are 'home waypoint' and 'found list'. You can't actually clear the home waypoint, but you can overwrite it by holding down both buttons when you have a valid GPS position. As for the found list, you can clear this by holding down the small button on the right for a long time (something like 8 seconds or so).

I hope this helps!!

Cheers

Warren

Thanks for the answer Warren and while I have your ear, I have another question. I maintain a geocache that is listed on the geocaching.com website but it does not show up on the geomatejr when I look for it. It's listed as a traditional geocache but it's a micro-cache container. Are micros not listed in the geomatejr? If so, a lot of people are going to miss out on a really cool cache location.

Thanks!

Thanks for the answer Warren and while I have your ear, I have another question. I maintain a geocache that is listed on the geocaching.com website but it does not show up on the geomatejr when I look for it. It's listed as a traditional geocache but it's a micro-cache container. Are micros not listed in the geomatejr? If so, a lot of people are going to miss out on a really cool cache location.

Thanks!

No worries! As a general rule (and we do have exceptions) the default database does not include geocaches that have not been in place for at least 4 to 6 months (for staying power) and we do not include any cache with difficulty above 3 (for some family friendliness). We do include micro-caches though.

My guess is that your cache doesn't meet the 'must have been in place for 6 months' rule. But there a solution! With the update kit you'll be able to select a list where this filtering hasn't been applied. So you will be able to get ALL of the latest and greatest with a single click (ok, a couple clicks).

It kept telling me to find open sky and I was standing in my front yard that has only 1 tree. ;) Okay, that didn't impress me much but it was the first few minutes the device was ever turned on in my possession, so maybe it was just figuring out where it was. :)

Anyone else have one to report on? :D

Hello, we just returned from a 1600 mile road trip with our geomate, jr. and we felt it did a good job. It does show you the closest 20 caches which is fun to watch while you are driving down the interstate. We got off when we saw one that wasn't too far away. Of course you don't know the name of the cache when you find it, so you have to make sure that you save it on the found page so when you get back from your trip you can log it in. We just bought our grandkids one too and went caching while in Colorado. We looked for this cache with a GPS last year and could not find it, but the Geomate, Jr. found it this time. It takes getting to know which button to push for what command, but once you've learned them, your all set!!

We are very new to geocaching, and have never owned or used a GPS before. We decided to buy a Geomate Jr. since they are much cheaper than nice GPS's. We went to REI yesterday, bought the Geomate Jr. and found 3 caches yesterday afternoon. We are having a blast and feel that it was money well-spent. I suspect that, as we learn more about this hobby, we may eventually buy a "real" GPS, but the Geomate Jr. has been a fantastic way to get our family started. I have been recommending them to my friends who are interested in geocaching. By the way, we have 3 young children who have been able to operate the Geomate Jr. with no problems.

Music to Warren's ears! Glad this is working out for all involved.

Glad to see you all new to the sport/hobby and having a good time!!! Its great to get the kids out door and interested in something other than the TV...

Are you all remembering to sign the logs (both in the cache and online)??? :)

Glad to see you all new to the sport/hobby and having a good time!!! Its great to get the kids out door and interested in something other than the TV...

Are you all remembering to sign the logs (both in the cache and online)??? :)

Yes, we are signing the logs both in the cache and on-line. The kids were in day camp all week, so we didn't get out as much as we wanted to. We're going to do some serious geocaching this weekend, though! By the way, Warren will be happy to know that we've been recommending the Geomate Jr. to many of our friends who are interested in joining us on some of our geocaching adventures this summer!

I just got a Geomate Jr. for Father's Day and we immediately headed out and found 7 nearby caches of all sizes.

I found it just as accurate as my Garmin 60cs, although none of the 7 caches were very far into the woods.

I wish it had a backlight, or that the numbers on the display were a little bigger. My eyes are not what they once were, and I can forsee some geocachers will be unable to read the display. I also wish that the unit could display the lat/lon of the cache; it only gives your current location. Other than that, the unit was pretty easy to operate.

I really look forward to the update kit for the reasons already mentioned. Their website has a coupon for $5 off.

My Garmin 60cs can only store 1000 caches, and there have been so many times when I had to pick and choose which ones to load for my vacations. And, I invariably ventured into areas where I had no caches downloaded. Now, I'm sure to have plenty of caches to find wherever I go!

I think it would be great if some super-pocket queries could be developed to go along with these caches though. I could really use the hints!!!

We are heading out on a road trip to Disneyland next week that will take us from here in northern Wyoming through CO, NM, AZ, NV, SoCA, back home via NoCA, NV, UT, ID, and Wyoming. I have been wondering how I was going to manage to download and find caches on this long trip. I have read this entire thread and I think that the Geomate, Jr will be an absolute God send for us on this trip. I just ordered one from REI that is due to be here Thursday of this week. Once we return from our trip this will be a great GPS for the kids to use. I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. :)

I'm loving mine. Can't wait for the update kit so I can use the field note update function.

>> Geo Jr. ACED a Garmin 60 CSX!!! More testing information: I continue to run Geo. Jr in parallel with a Garmin 60CSX just to satisfy my curiosity. I recently fired both units up from a cold start and headed to the vicinity of a cache site. I got out of the cachemobile and headed out for a mini hike. Immediately I got divergent readings, Geo Jr. wanted me in one location and the 60Csx wanted me in a different location. ( about 120 degrees of separation ) After about 3 minutes the 60Csx grudgingly agreed with Geo Jr. >>> Geo Jr was right from the " very first sniff of the air ". Clear sky, no tree cover; what does it prove >>> nothing would be my first guess, however, it does inspire increased confidence in Geo Jr. Did both units get me to ground zero - yes. What does it tell me? I don't have a clue!! However, Geo Jr's. sniffer seemed to have taken a lesson from Larry The Cable Guy and wanted to " git 'er done" sooner. For those of you of a certain age a simpler guess might be that it was the dawning of the age of aquarius. >>> At any rate Jr. continues to impress me. Edited by humboldt flier

I purchased this little unit back in May. I also have an Etrex that I have been using since January. I am pleased with the geomate jr. I am not a "techie" so this has been great. I've used it for the caches in the parks that are under heavy cover. The geomate jr has put me within 8-10 feet while my Etrex just bounced all over the place. Both use the directional compass, which is traditional land Navigation that I used in the military 20+ years ago. It is easy for me to understand and as I suspect easy for those who are new to this fun, addicting sport. I am looking forward to purchasing the update kit as a whole new series of P&G's (Park and Grabs for those new to the sport) has appeared in the area. This has allowed me to cache when work sends me to different parts of the area. Before, I had to pick finds, load them and hope that this was the area I was going to be sent to. I never know with work where I am going or when I am going. I am quite happy with the hunts this has allowed me to participate on. I am just dissapointed that this arrived the day after a 1000 mile road trip. Although to be fair, I only ordered it the day before I left for the trip. It arrived within 3-4 days of ordering.

Does anyone know if the update kit is available now? Is there a website to order it from? There are no REIs in this area of the country.

THis is a winner and a keeper.