GPS Unit (want to start hunting)

Swedishbrick

So have a seven month old son that I am at home with taking care of few days each week. So I am thinking that Geocaching would be a great way to get out enjoy the weather and check out some new parks and areas of the local area I might not otherwise go to. Plus as he gets older we can go after more and more difficult caches.

That being said wanted your opinions on best bang for your buck unit that will provide good resource for geocaching.

Or if you have hid your old unit tell me where and I will pack the little guy up and go hunt it down! :(

If it stops raining going to try my first find at a local Park w/o GPS assistance. (Thank you Google earth)

There are quite a few topics on this same subject already over in the Getting Started and Technology forums you might check out...

But the best answer is what you can afford.

My suggestion would be Garmin, but that's what I'm used to and like. I have a 60Cx and like it a lot. I'd get a Colorado if I could afford it, but not right now.

Good luck on your choice and welcome.

There are quite a few topics on this same subject already over in the Getting Started and Technology forums you might check out...

But the best answer is what you can afford.

My suggestion would be Garmin, but that's what I'm used to and like. I have a 60Cx and like it a lot. I'd get a Colorado if I could afford it, but not right now.

Good luck on your choice and welcome.

Thanks for the input. If the weather holds I am going to try and hit a few today that are near by. Figured how to put them into my Megellan Maestro 3225 (not a great unit for geocacheing) takes a little bit of time to get them loaded but with that and my pocket Pc should be able to get this party started.

Then I will keep an eye out for a new/used unit. Garmin is the way I am leaning.

Thanks again!

I'd agree with Allanon. The garmin etrex units can be quite cheap and work quite well. Maps are not essential but are nice, so if money is tight I would not agonize over maps. In addition to new units you might check the garage forum, might be a nice buy there. I would be careful of e-bay, some times things are pricey there. Before you buy, check the prices from online dealers so you have a feel for what the units sell for before buying.

Jim

Edited by jholly

Just flipping thru the latest REI catalog, they have a etrex H (the upgraded version of the little yellow) for $110.

You can do much better than that for about the same amount at Amazon. I recently purchased a Legend Cx for around $109.

Good to know, I havn't priced the cheaper units in a while and I just happened to have the REI catalog in front of me.

I'd suggest sticking with Garmin. Any of the high-sensitivity receiver models will do. I've found that my old Venture HC gives as accurate of placement as my much spendier Astro 220.

If you can afford it, get one with micro SD chip. Then you can load topo maps and Northwest Trails Project maps on to it. Such a unit is truly the cat's behind. :o