Odd isue with Oregon 400t

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else is having an issue with the Oregon 400t. We have noticed that occasionally, not always, as we approach the way point the Oregon show the "Approaching Waypoint" message and shuts down needing to be restarted. Before going back to Garmin, I thought I would ask here and see if any one else has had a similiar issue.

Thanks

Yep - I've had my 400t for nearly a month now. Never had anything like that happen.

My unit arrived with 2.80 software installed. I used it for a while then got on the beta train and have run 2.97b and now on 2.98b. Hit several WP's today with 2.98b and just the usual beep, press OK and continue.

Update to the latest, even non-beta version if you don't want to run beta software, to make sure you don't just have a minor software issue.

Yep - I've had my 400t for nearly a month now. Never had anything like that happen.

My unit arrived with 2.80 software installed. I used it for a while then got on the beta train and have run 2.97b and now on 2.98b. Hit several WP's today with 2.98b and just the usual beep, press OK and continue.

Update to the latest, even non-beta version if you don't want to run beta software, to make sure you don't just have a minor software issue.

Thanks to all...I will try that. I believe the software is the latest version, but may reinstall just to be sure before returning to Garmin

There is a problem on the Oregon if you get a waypoint alert right around the time your screen times out in battery saver mode you can see a shutdown (or an all white screen).

Do you have battery saver mode enabled (Setup>Display>Battery Save)?

I have had my Oregon 400T shut down a few times when nearing a cache. The unit beeps but then the screen is blank and I have to turn the unit back on. This happened with the prior updates including 2.97. I now have 2.98 installed but haven't geocached since the update. I have the battery saver mode turned on. :o

There is a problem on the Oregon if you get a waypoint alert right around the time your screen times out in battery saver mode you can see a shutdown (or an all white screen).

Do you have battery saver mode enabled (Setup>Display>Battery Save)?

I have had my Oregon 400T shut down a few times when nearing a cache. The unit beeps but then the screen is blank and I have to turn the unit back on. This happened with the prior updates including 2.97. I now have 2.98 installed but haven't geocached since the update. I have the battery saver mode turned on. :anibad:

I have 2.98 installed - and had this happen this morning. Approaching a cache while my Oregon 400t was in Recreational mode (which I have enabled the Battery Save). When it beeped, I looked down to see the white screen. A few taps of the screen and I remembered this thread and did a power cycle.

This is a real bummer since you are always closing in on the cache and a power cycle throws your accuracy off making you have to wait a minute or two for the fix to settle back in.

So confirmed still a problem in 2.98

I would report it to Garmin and turn off battery saver. Hopefully you are using rechargeables and battery saving is a moot point.

I had already reported. Yep - using NiMH batts - who could afford to spend the cash on alkalines and spend any time at all in the field.