CacheMate for Android

Release - CacheMate 1.3.3 (Google Android)

This release fixes a bug, and adds a couple of small enhancements. When geocache attribute support was initially added, negative attributes weren't properly handled... now, they are. The enhancements consist of an optional timestamp in logs sent via Twitter, and auto-capitalization added to edit fields in the app where appropriate.

I just tried it out, nice additions! Over the past 3 days, I found 9 caches using only Cachemate on my Droid, didn't even touch my GPS. Although next time I go in the woods, I think I'll use the GPS over the Droid... my hands get too dirty and too many chances to drop it. I finally signed up on Twitter, and now quickly click the links in my tweets to go back and add all my caches. I even found the way (that seems fastest) to get routing from a cache. Once I select the cache I want, I go to edit record, copy the coords (do a long press on the field), then go to navigator and paste them in.

Thanks for the continued fine work!

Hey, this worked great! Had to guess at some of the steps but it worked great.

For clarity, when in the cache record after selecting the cache from the list, tap the menu at the bottom, then the "More" item, then select "Edit Record". That's when you press/hold the the "Coordinates" field. Select "Copy all".

Then, back up to the main menu and select the Maps ap. Again, tap the Menu and then "Directions". Press/hold the "End Point" field and select "Paste". Then tap "Go".

This was great. Thanks Nighthawk.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

For clarity, when in the cache record after selecting the cache from the list, tap the menu at the bottom, then the "More" item, then select "Edit Record". That's when you press/hold the the "Coordinates" field. Select "Copy all".

Then, back up to the main menu and select the Maps ap. Again, tap the Menu and then "Directions". Press/hold the "End Point" field and select "Paste". Then tap "Go".

To add to that...

1) The waypoint list context menu also includes "Edit Record". In fact, it's the first item in that menu.

2) Most (if not all) Android phones have a "Home" button or icon to take you straight back to the home screen without having to back out of any levels you may have gone into within an application. Doing the same and going back to CacheMate (or holding down that button to get the task switcher in 2.0 and later) will take you back to where you were.

All in the name of saving screen/button taps.

To add to everyone else's adding on... ;-), if your Droid is in the Motorola Car dock, when you press the Home button, and go to the Car Home, you can click on Navigate, which skips the map app mentioned above, just paste in the coords then.

As I was driving to my training yesterday, I had the Droid giving me street directions to a Geocache nearby, playing Slacker internet radio, and downloading email (to read at a red light). When I got close to the cache, long press on the home button and go back to Cachemate to get the final navigation to the cache. Log the cache info, send a tweet that I found it, then back in the car and off to class. When the Droid can drive and walk to the cache, what will be left for us to do? ;-)

Wow, thanks for adding my suggestions in the newest release. I tried the new fast slider bar, and whizzed down my list of 600 caches in no time flat. Much faster than the "flick flick flick" my way down when I only remember that the cache name started with a "y" ;-)

Will be playing/experimenting with the other new features as well.

If the storms predicted for tomorrow (to break the high heat) hold off, I'll also try out selecting caches when close by.

A day late cross-posting this...

Release - CacheMate 1.3.4 (Google Android)

This release includes a handful of fixes and enhancements. Fast scroll tabs have been added to all list views, and the map view should better determine now which point you're selecting when you tap. That's not all, though... check the change log for a full list.

Release - CacheMate 1.3.5 (Google Android)

This release adds a handful of fixes and enhancements, mostly the former, half of which are involved with the map and compass navigation portions of the application. See the change log for a full list of changes.

Macros, or something like that would greatly speed up my workflow while caching. Ideally I'd love to mark a cache found or dnf and post to Twitter automatically. I never type a log into cachemate unless there is some important detail I don't want to forget, so I end up wasting a keystroke entering something into the text box since it won't let me leave it blank. Also, when I hit send to send to Twitter it takes a couple of presses to get it sent. Maybe an option to send the tweet in the background would help that (similar to what cacheberry does).

This release fixes a bug, and adds a couple of small enhancements. When geocache attribute support was initially added, negative attributes weren't properly handled... now, they are. The enhancements consist of an optional timestamp in logs sent via Twitter, and auto-capitalization added to edit fields in the app where appropriate.

I just tried it out, nice additions! Over the past 3 days, I found 9 caches using only Cachemate on my Droid, didn't even touch my GPS. Although next time I go in the woods, I think I'll use the GPS over the Droid... my hands get too dirty and too many chances to drop it. I finally signed up on Twitter, and now quickly click the links in my tweets to go back and add all my caches. I even found the way (that seems fastest) to get routing from a cache. Once I select the cache I want, I go to edit record, copy the coords (do a long press on the field), then go to navigator and paste them in.

I have found this discussion thread to be Very helpful with my new EVO although I have one issue - I log via Twitdroyd but cannot find my logs on Geocaching.com. Can anyone help me?

I have found this discussion thread to be Very helpful with my new EVO although I have one issue - I log via Twitdroyd but cannot find my logs on Geocaching.com. Can anyone help me?

I gave up on logging into field notes or directly into a cache log through Twidroid - but NOW i really need help on how to add field notes - the choice to send is only email NOT SMS and I did setup the SMS account successfully through TM. HELP - PLEASE

Posting field notes to GC.com via Twitter is never going to work, naturally, because they don't scan Twitter for those kind of posts. They don't advertise that, anyway.

If Groundspeak SMS isn't showing up as a "send log" option, that's because the waypoint ID of the record you're trying to post the log for doesn't start with a compatible prefix (GC or WM).

You can export a Garmin field notes file as well, from either the waypoint list or detail views, but you'll have to use a real computer to upload that file to the site.

Release - CacheMate 1.3.6 (Google Android)

This release changes the way that CacheMate interacts with multimedia hardware, which should improve compatibility with certain devices, and should resolve the problem that some have had with GPS hardware not being used for compass navigation when it's enabled. It also adds the ability to track your current location in the map view (Hint: check the options menu for that screen), as well as a few new options to control what is shown in the list view.

This is the first CacheMate release to use Google's new license checking service, which should resolve problems with newer devices and OS updates not seeing the program in Android Market, as well as those using non-"blessed" firmware versions on their devices.

I need someone to tell me exactly how to load caches into cachmate on my incredible. Somehow I got them on last night, have no idea how. I got a new pq of my 500 nearest my house today and I wanted to update the file. Have no idea how to do that.

On my Moto Droid I go to my Gmail account and preview the attachment via cachemate after I run the PQ.

I need someone to tell me exactly how to load caches into cachmate on my incredible. Somehow I got them on last night, have no idea how. I got a new pq of my 500 nearest my house today and I wanted to update the file. Have no idea how to do that.

On my Moto Droid I go to my Gmail account and preview the attachment via cachemate after I run the PQ.

Does it automatically unzip the file or do I need to download an ap that will do that for me?