geocache sizes

7 TREASURE FINDERS

What are examples of geocache sizes

Also if you could tell of some hides that you have found It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :D:(

Micro:

Small:

Regular:

Large:

Found one that was the back side of a sign.

Found another that was a film canister under a rock. The rock smashed the caniser. Tough higing spot for that container.

Found another that was an ammo can in a massive rock pile. That was a hard find even though it was a large container.

Here are the offcial definitions:

Cache Sizes

These sizes apply to all caches that have a physical container.

Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 L – typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet)

Small (sandwich-sized plastic container or similar – less than approximately 1 quart or 1 L – holds trade items as well as a logbook)

Regular (plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox)

Large (5 gallon/20 L bucket or larger

Keep in mind these are over generalizations and not all inclusive - think of them as reading "about" xxxx.

They've covered the sizes pretty well.

Keep in mind - out in 'the wild' you'll find there to be a lot of variance in the cache sizes you find and the category assigned on the website. I've found a number of caches rated as regulars that were Peanut Butter Jars (small 12 -16 oz PB Plastic Jar). I don't view those as regulars but rather see them as small cache sizes. I don't think container size is scrutinized heavily by the reviewers so you'll run into that.

That said - one of my recent treks was very enjoyable. It was a trail loop about 20 minutes for my home in a wildlife conservation area. On it were a variety of cache sizes and containers. Several ammo boxes, a few PB jars, and there were micros there too. The entire trail was 3 or 4 miles total length with some nice elevation and terrain challenges. The caches were spread out enough to allow you to enjoy the hike but still reward you and make the thrill of the find fun.

My favorite that day? An ammo can hidden off the trail in a stand of cedar trees, directly under an U.P.S.. It contained a hat that I traded for - I had left mine in the Jeep and didn't realize how blazingly hot the sun was going to be that day. Without that hat I would have had to cut the hike short and come back another day.

Wife and I like to hunt small, regular and large caches. Not big on the micros although I'll grab one every now and then.

Hi there.

We too are very new to this but we have found our first four caches. These all seem to fit the micro or small size. The first was a tiny magnetic barrell from a pet collar, the type you put your name and address inside. This just contained a log. Our second container was a Saxa salt container that had been spray painted and contained a log and swap items. The third was even tinier than the first, about the size of a small button. This was a magnetic cache and again contained a log. Our latest one was a 35mm film container, again just a log. We've yet to find anything bigger but really look forward to it. :(

Hope that helps.

Tina

Hi there.

We too are very new to this but we have found our first four caches. These all seem to fit the micro or small size. The first was a tiny magnetic barrell from a pet collar, the type you put your name and address inside. This just contained a log. Our second container was a Saxa salt container that had been spray painted and contained a log and swap items. The third was even tinier than the first, about the size of a small button. This was a magnetic cache and again contained a log. Our latest one was a 35mm film container, again just a log. We've yet to find anything bigger but really look forward to it. :(

Hope that helps.

Tina

There is one near a cache you found, GCKY9R, Lunchtime Stop #2. It is listed as a regular.

Jim

If you are interested there is a video we made called "A Day Geocaching with HeadHardHat". It shows many of the different sizes and examples of how they were hidden. You can find them on YouTube or here on our GeoSnippits website.

http://www.geosnippits.com

There are all sorts of other introduction videos for geocaching as well.

-HHH :laughing:

The HeadHardHat videos are a fabulous resource and I'd strongly encourage anybody who is new to sort of new to view them. He keeps his videos fairly short (I think about 10 minutes each if my memory is correct) so he can put in a lot of useful info, but not long enough to get bored. Check them out you won't be sorry! :o