Logging DNFs

Recently I've had a few of DNFs on 3 different caches - the caches are fine but are not as easy as a tupperware box in the roots of a tree. only 1 cacher has logged as a DNF (and very amusing it was too!) one has written a note and one has not logged it at all.

I don't understand why. Surely DNFs are just as important to a cache log as the finds and without the DNF logs, an owner won't know there's a problem with either the difficulty or the cache itself. I can understand if the cacher doesn't log a "did not search" because I've had a couple of those when I know where it must be but it's not appropriate to search at that time, but a genuine DNF should, IMO, be logged correctly.

One of my more memorable cache hunts was a DNF - I still snigger at it now. So why don't people want to log them? :)

The numbers basically. They don't want a ratio of Finds/DNFs that is less than perfect, or at least "decent".

I agree with you though that some of the more memorable hunts I've had have been DNFs. Annoying, but enjoyable in retrospect! :(

Another good reason to post DNFs is that it gives other cachers the chance to decide whether to avoid it (in case it's not there) or to go for it (the glory of getting a cache others have failed to find).

The lack of creative caches around perhaps inhibits lateral thinking.

When it is a clever hide, the cachers brain go into a state of "its not there" "its the hiders fault" rather than examine the area more carefully.

----------------------------------------

never wake a sleeping pinky

Recently I've had a few of DNFs on 3 different caches - the caches are fine but are not as easy as a tupperware box in the roots of a tree. only 1 cacher has logged as a DNF (and very amusing it was too!) one has written a note and one has not logged it at all.

I don't understand why. Surely DNFs are just as important to a cache log as the finds and without the DNF logs, an owner won't know there's a problem with either the difficulty or the cache itself. I can understand if the cacher doesn't log a "did not search" because I've had a couple of those when I know where it must be but it's not appropriate to search at that time, but a genuine DNF should, IMO, be logged correctly.

One of my more memorable cache hunts was a DNF - I still snigger at it now. So why don't people want to log them? :(

It depends on the cache....

If it sounds like a decent container, with some thought in the hide, I'll post a DNF.

If it's a micro in a hedge, I'll rarely spend more than a minute or so looking, so won't bother with a log of any description.

Now that G-UK has gone, there's no easy way of knowing anybody's find/dnf ratio (did people REALLY used to care that much???)

I log DNF's and I like other people to log any of mine as a DNF so I know wheather I need to check if they are still there for the next cacher.

I did log a DNF on an easy micro the other day, I looked really hard but not hard enough. Looked again yesterday and there it was staring me in the face. :(

If I have a good reason to believe that the cache has gone missing, I will definitely log it as a DNF because it will help the cache setter who might want to check it out. However, if I haven't had time to do a thorough search and intend to return to have another go, I would only log a DNF if I still couldn't find it on the second visit. Also, if it's overlooked by houses or CCTV cameras, I don't put much effort into searching, so again, no DNF logged and never to return! :(

Edited by Fuchsiamagic

If I've made a reasonable effort to find a cache but didn't succeed I'll log a DNF. There was one on top of a mountain in central Pennsylvania that I logged something like 5 DNFs before finally getting it.

I wouldn't log a DNF if I made a decision not to search in any detail (e.g. if I encountered thorns while wearing my work trousers) but if I found an area made a search very difficult I'll usually log a DNF. That might be because it's harder than expected to get to the location, or if it's very exposed to muggles, or whatever. Basically if I think a log will be useful to either the cache owner or to others planning to look I'll log it.

As the proud :D writer of 112 DNF's so far! We really must look harder in future :( is it really that many B) We write DNF's if we have had a proper look, there maybe the odd one or two that we had a quick poke about behind a post on the edge of a rubbish dump and we left and did not bother to log the DNF as we really could not be bother to look properly. Anyway my 'best' DNF is here.

We always log our DNFs. This thread prompted me to go and look at how many we've had: The total is 38. Of course, some of those were subsequently found.

I don't know why some cachers don't log their DNFs.

I wonder whether some cachers think that a DNF log should only be used once they've totally given up on a particular cache? In other words, to them their DNF log means, "We've tried umpteen times to find this blasted thing, we've got wet, muddy, snagged by the brambles, we spent a total of 8 hours searching for it, we know every rock and dandelion within 100 metres of the location, we are now sick of it and we're never ever going to look for it again!"

MrsB :(

i always log dnf's, anything from hours of searching and no find or no search because i turned up and find workers from a nearby office parked up having a smoke break. it is all part of my caching history but also can indicate to others that there could be certain times of day to avoid the area.

I always log DNF's ………………….Except micros in ivy!!!!

Andy :lol:

I've had a few DNB's on those.

:ph34r:

I have to agree on that one, I am not always as diligent in loggin DNF's particularly when:

1) Its a multi where I often get my sums wrong :unsure: . My record is 7 attempts to find one 3 stage multi :blink: .

2) Its a micro :laughing: , Why do people put Micro's in Ivy :laughing: ? (Maybe its more of a point of, Why do put micro's :laughing: ?)

3) Its a case of a DNT meaning Did Not really Try.

Its good to see DNF's particularly if in an area you don't know, I think they say more about a cache than Finds.

Logs that say they enjoyed it anyway which means I'll give it a go :o . The logs that just say spent 1 hour looking and DNF I would not bother attempting :laughing: ...

This thread has caused us to count our DNFs - got to 100 and gave up so I think it would be true to say we log our DNFs! The number is higher as some cache owners have then deleted our DNF logs.

When caching out of our local area with limited time to find a few caches it also lets you know what is worthwhile looking for.

I like people to log DNF on our caches as it gives us a chance to assess the accuracy of the Difficulty Rating.

I certainly log DNFs, but not all of them, especially where my spirits have sagged or something has forced me to give up (e.g. muggles or time limitations) before I gave the cache a thorough search. Some folk mention how long they have hunted before finding a cache and I marvel at their durability. In other cases, I know that I'm going to return, so mark it as a mental DNF for myself. If I list it as an official DNF when I haven't done the search justice, it implies it might be missing when I'm just not applying myself well enough.

There's a few on my mental list of "unfinished business" and I'll get to them eventually. I don't like having unfinished business!

:laughing:

I tend to log all DNF's even 'could not finds' due to muggle activity as I feel it gives the owner the sense that at least someone is looking for it, especially if no one has searched for it for a while.

I have found recently with my own caches that a lot of newbies do not log DNF's as they say they are unaware that they 'had' to or thought that they only logged it if they found it.

I have a series that if one is missed its a bit obvious that they have not logged the DNF. On these occassions a quick email to enquire why sometimes helps educate them.

But as its been said before everyone plays the game in their own way - however annoying it is. :laughing:

The numbers basically. They don't want a ratio of Finds/DNFs that is less than perfect, or at least "decent".

Do DNF numbers get displayed anywhere in your personal stats?

I keep mine up to date with GSAK- although I have to add it into the other stats manually see My profile. I had hoped to make my 1000th cache find and 100th DNF on the same cache but I just failed :laughing:

Edited by Pieman