GeoCachers helping police solve crimes?

Last month I came to a interesting conclusion

Never hide a dead body near a GeoCache.

I was hunting for a cache in a wooded park(ish) creek in the middle of the city when I stummbled onto some bones. I made this conclusion while I was noting the coordinates to give to the police. I don't think anyone knows that this wooded area even exists, so the bones would never have been found if not for the cache.

I realy don't know if they were human or deer bones, but my conlusion still holds.

Last month I came to a interesting conclusion

Never hide a dead body near a GeoCache.

I was hunting for a cache in a wooded park(ish) creek in the middle of the city when I stummbled onto some bones. I made this conclusion while I was noting the coordinates to give to the police. I don't think anyone knows that this wooded area even exists, so the bones would never have been found if not for the cache.

I realy don't know if they were human or deer bones, but my conlusion still holds.

Get ready to do some reading: Serial Cacher Chapter 1 of 14

Get ready to do some reading: Serial Cacher Chapter 1 of 14

Great...Now I am stuck reading this long story. I am now hooked and it is going to take up all my extra time for a while...

Yeah, me too, but it's a really good story. Glad you mentioned it. A real "page turner"

Hard to "put it down"

I heard of a story of someone rapelling down to a cache by a bridge and finding a body there. The person said you've never seen anyone go back up a rope faster. It was a girl who had been missing two weeks. Don't know if it was foul play or sucide. either way, pretty grisly.

There's a place with a cache near here that a body was found at a few years ago. I don't know if a geocacher found it or not.

I've found a bicycle, an extension ladder, and a few other various items while caching. I've left them all there, figuring they belonged to someone. Some of the places I've been I wouldn't be surprised to find more, really. I want to find the bank robbers stash, that's what I want to find. Minus the ink packs. LOL

Oh, I once found a car with keys while caching. Just the car I've wanted. I gave it back though.

There's that guy who jumped out of an airplane many years ago, here in WA state, DB Cooper, that disappeared with thousands or millions or something. A lot of cash anyway. No one ever found him or the cash. It's a standing joke that one of us cachers will run across him, his body and or his money. He's probably long out of the country by now, or happily living in the mountains off the money.

Lots of things to find in the woods.

We were looking high and low for a cache on the edge of some woods last month. Finally found the ammo can hidden very well, but way off from the coords. Wasn't a big surprise though because previous loggers mentioned bad coords or jumpy GPSs. The surprise was the full pound of pot we found inside. Dropped it at the police station and then suggested the CO archive it post haste! :o

We were looking high and low for a cache on the edge of some woods last month. Finally found the ammo can hidden very well, but way off from the coords. Wasn't a big surprise though because previous loggers mentioned bad coords or jumpy GPSs. The surprise was the full pound of pot we found inside. Dropped it at the police station and then suggested the CO archive it post haste! :laughing:

Did you trade up or even? :o

I'm thinking I would have taken the ammo can and held it for the owner. I would rather risk the CO being mad at me then want the CO to have to go back out to get it. All depends.

We were looking high and low for a cache on the edge of some woods last month. Finally found the ammo can hidden very well, but way off from the coords. Wasn't a big surprise though because previous loggers mentioned bad coords or jumpy GPSs. The surprise was the full pound of pot we found inside. Dropped it at the police station and then suggested the CO archive it post haste! :)

You drove to the police station with a pound of pot in your possession?!? :anibad: Tell me you didn't. Please?

Back in the March of '08, Rocketman and I were out doing some early 4 wheeling in the snow. Nothing too drastic, just out to play.

After making our way up a trail that was moderately deep with crusty snow, we came across a Ford Explorer that was totally high centered and abandoned smack dab in the middle of the road.

The Explorer had been smashed up with rocks and the inside trashed.

Our first thoughts were that somebody was out playing "4 wheel drive" and didn't know their limitations and other people had been jerks and damaged the vehicle. Our other thought that came later was that the vehicle may have been stolen. So we noted the license plate, got turned around and headed back the way we came in.

About a mile back from the Explorer, we had come across the Sheriff in a 4 wheel drive F150 stuck in the snow. Dave got his winch out (2nd time that day after helping a mired Blazer earlier) to free the Sheriff's vehicle. The Sheriff explained to us that the Explorer was stolen and he was on his way to do some investigating. He questioned how much further up the trail it would be and how deep the snow was.

He figured he would have to hike in the rest of the way. We offered up our services to get him to the stuck vehicle.

Once there, he did his "detective" work and searched the vehicle. Who ever 'jacked' the SUV must have been having a good time since he found an empty case of beer and a lacy black bra.

Well since we were there, we thought we would hide a cache close to that spot. We explained to the Sheriff what we were doing. He had indeed heard of geocaching before.

After we retuned to the Sheriff's truck, we placed another cache in tribute to that.

I Winched the Sheriff

9508dc98-3a9a-45fd-86d3-ef72bdc67276.jpg

032a0c77-2198-4e9d-b873-5e44f23113c8.jpg

Stolen Explorer

7bfe8ad6-ae3c-4f6f-a1c3-4d3353ec2f94.jpg

Police note high incidence of April fools

By SUE MELLO

Staff Reporter

April Fool’s Day was officially last Wednesday but the Boothbay Harbor Police Department reports that the annual event seemed to last longer than usual this year.

The first anonymous fool turned up last Saturday night, with a seriously wrong number. A juvenile in pursuit of marijuana thought he was calling a drug dealer, but misdialed and reached Officer Jared Mitkus on the police cruiser cell phone instead. The juvenile asked to buy some marijuana and agreed to a meeting place. When the would-be buyer arrived at the Meadow Mall parking lot, to his chagrin, Officer Mitkus was waiting for him. No arrest was made in the incident, but Mitkus reports having a serious discussion with the youth.

Another fool left $4,000 worth of marijuana in a metal box at the Boothbay Harbor Cemetery, presumably for pickup by a buyer. However, that drug deal was waylaid when two geocachers - treasure hunters participating in an online game using GPS devices - stumbled onto the drugs and reported their discovery to BHPD. Police confiscated the marijuana; no arrest was made.

Unfortunately I didn't have a thing in the swag bag that would have made for an even trade. And we did drive it to the police station, mostly because we were so weirded out we just wanted to get out of there ASAP and threw the ammo can in the car without really thinking about it. It never even occurred to me to have the cops come to me!

I did apologize to the CO that the cop wouldn't give us her ammo can. She said: "Ammo can?!! Mine was a Lock and Lock!" She did go out a few days later with the police to pick up her container. And, as for the cop, he told me there was $6,000 there, not $4,000 as erroneously reported. :anibad:

I just saw this on CNN.com today about a drug ring that was busted and thought it was semi-related to the topic at hand:

The drugs, mostly marijuana, were trucked from Mexico through California and Arizona and then distributed across five counties in Georgia and one in Tennessee, authorities say. They were hidden in just about anything -- furniture, roofs of big-rigs and tire wells. Once the shipments arrived, the dope was put in 50-caliber ammunition cans and buried in the woods, where buyers would pick up the stash and leave behind thousands in cash, authorities say.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/21/drugs....rica/index.html

Color me naive, but using ammo cans like this had never crossed my mind. Sadly, I could see that happening around here. I'd hate to see governmental agencies banning geocaching from grounds because of people using ammo cans like this.

Edited by Horticulture

I just saw this on CNN.com today about a drug ring that was busted and thought it was semi-related to the topic at hand:

The drugs, mostly marijuana, were trucked from Mexico through California and Arizona and then distributed across five counties in Georgia and one in Tennessee, authorities say. They were hidden in just about anything -- furniture, roofs of big-rigs and tire wells. Once the shipments arrived, the dope was put in 50-caliber ammunition cans and buried in the woods, where buyers would pick up the stash and leave behind thousands in cash, authorities say.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/21/drugs....rica/index.html

Color me naive, but using ammo cans like this had never crossed my mind. Sadly, I could see that happening around here. I'd hate to see governmental agencies banning geocaching from grounds because of people using ammo cans like this.

Fools! They really need to ban the use of pointy objects and burying those ammo cans. That will be the ruin of drug trafficing!!

Didn't see this thread until now. I'd love to add that cache to my bookmark list Caches where dead bodies have been found if you'll give me the GC Code.