Geomate Jr.(feature request)

WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I believe you could opt out of future inclusion in GeoMate Jr by designating your hides Members Only.

I suppose a general "opt out" feature might be possible.

I'd expect to pay for this, as part of how Groundspeak makes money is reselling data. You want your hides not to go out in PQs?

Otherwise, please note the terms of use indicate that you have given Groundspeak the right to repackage and use the data.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

i would like to know if any of my caches are on their list as well.

If i change to members only now, does that mean the coordinates are taken off the geomatejr? i doubt it.

Since all of your caches are outside the United States, the current answer is no.

Please create a way for Cache hiders to "Opt Out" of having their Hidden Caches listed in this device, or even further, an option to "Opt Out" of having their Hidden Caches listed in any licensed database.

You want to remove your caches from any licensed database? :D

Uhh... ok, really simple. Archive all the listings here. :(

I believe you could opt out of future inclusion in GeoMate Jr by designating your hides Members Only.

I'd expect to pay for this, as part of how Groundspeak makes money is reselling data. You want your hides not to go out in PQs?

Otherwise, please note the terms of use indicate that you have given Groundspeak the right to repackage and use the data.

Has it been confirmed that PMO caches are not on this thing? And why is it such a problem to ask for the ability to opt out of this particular use? Asking isn't a violation of the TOU. Mind you I'd not hold my breath waiting for an answer. I'm beginning to doubt a drowning man could get an answer if he asked GS for a life ring.

I am not sure I understand what exactly an "opt out" would do for anybody's caches.

While I believe the "update" portion of the geomate JR should be mandatory (and frequent) - I place my caches to be found by folks with GPS devices. So mine will stay the same. I would hope that marking a cache PM would be enough to "opt out" of this device.

The data is all Groundspeak has that is of any value and we all knew that when we posted them..

MOCs should not be on this device. MOCs are defined as:

Subscriber-Only Caches

Some caches are only available to premium members. This has been a request of many geocachers who want to put more energy into designing a cache for dedicated geocachers. As the cache owner, you can make any of your caches "subscriber only," so folks will need a subscription to seek it out.

Therefor, by definition, they should not be on this device.

Are they? That's a different story.

I personally don't care whether any of my caches are included on the device. As long as people are finding them and having a good time, all is good so far as I'm concerned.

That being said, this thread brings up an interesting question... is there a way to find out which caches are included on the device (without having to purchase one of course)?

I personally don't care whether any of my caches are included on the device. As long as people are finding them and having a good time, all is good so far as I'm concerned.

That being said, this thread brings up an interesting question... is there a way to find out which caches are included on the device (without having to purchase one of course)?

That is a good question, in the other rhread on the DEVICE ITSELF, one buyer said it will only display the 20 caches nearest to your current location.

a PQ is not the same as a licensed database, they are for the use of premium members only, not sold to third parties. I'd expect to pay for this too, but i wish it were at least an option. I hope that GS speaks up and makes it clear that listing a new Cache as PMO will keep it out of this device.

The really sad part is that the time/effort/manpower expended by Groundspeak for this toy could have been better spent fixing the website, the forums, the PQ's etc.

They would do well to remember who their "real" customers are. And their suppliers (new caches).

As a travelling fool, I would love to have a geomate jr. Just so when I am outside my PQ range I can pull it out and grab a nearby cache, just waiting for someone to want to get rid of theirs

Go buy one. The price of one dinner, no biggie.

Yikes!!! Where do you eat???? :(

My family of 4 at the local restaurants rarely hits even $35.

As a travelling fool, I would love to have a geomate jr. Just so when I am outside my PQ range I can pull it out and grab a nearby cache, just waiting for someone to want to get rid of theirs

I will wait till McDonald's puts them in their kid's meals.

Don't give anyone any ideas! All the McDonald's caches will be empty then!

So, finally someone has come up with a positive of the McGPS.

Yikes!!! Where do you eat???? :(

My family of 4 at the local restaurants rarely hits even $35.

That is pretty good. I live in NY the land of tax! IF I was to take my whole family out it would be over $100 (I have 8 kids). $70 is nothing like I said :D

The really sad part is that the time/effort/manpower expended by Groundspeak for this toy could have been better spent fixing the website, the forums, the PQ's etc.

You realize that Groundspeak doesn't build or design GPS units, right? All they did was supply a filtered data base to another company.

You realize that Groundspeak doesn't build or design GPS units, right? All they did was supply a filtered data base to another company.

I do. And the time they spent filtering, which was either superficial at the expense of Geomate or complex at the expense of us, could have been spent replacing this forum software, improving the stability of the website etc.

I do. And the time they spent filtering, which was either superficial at the expense of Geomate or complex at the expense of us, could have been spent replacing this forum software, improving the stability of the website etc.

OK, exactly how much time did they spend Mr Grumpy Pants? Since I haven't seen any website "stability" problems lately, I am a happy customer.

That is a good question, in the other rhread on the DEVICE ITSELF, one buyer said it will only display the 20 caches nearest to your current location.

I read that somewhere that it will take you to the 20 closest caches then you have to restart it to keep going. It was in the pdf file of the manual somewhere.

As of right now only traditional caches are in it. Other cache types are not. Hint-hint :(

You mean so you can search for caches that are months, if not longer, out of date and are now archived?

So far any "update kit" seems to be vapor-ware, and there doesn't appear to be a real way to update the unit. Even when it does come out, there is no indication of costs, is there a regular fee to get updates? Are you limited to how often or how much data? None of these questions have been answered that I can see.

Me too, but I don't want to see one in the hands of my mischevious neighbor kids who know that I go treasure hunting but are bratty little punks with no respect.

can we keep this thread on the topic of the requested feature? There's a topic in the regular forum section that's discussing the UNIT in question. Thanks. I'd be interested to see if any others would like a feature like this??

I think I was the first to suggest an Opt-Out feature in the "other" thread on the McGPS, and I'm still in favor of it. However, for those of us in the U.S. at least, the horse is already out of the barn, I'm afraid.

My guess, though, is that the contract between Groundspeak and the Geomate Jr folks regarding the update queries has already been established and that they would probably not be allowed to add such filtering at this time.

To those that want to continually cite the TOU... yes... Groundspeak has every legal right in the world to bite the hand that feeds them.

You mean so you can search for caches that are months, if not longer, out of date and are now archived?

So far any "update kit" seems to be vapor-ware, and there doesn't appear to be a real way to update the unit. Even when it does come out, there is no indication of costs, is there a regular fee to get updates? Are you limited to how often or how much data? None of these questions have been answered that I can see.

$19.99, no additional fees, according to the other thread.

If you have these 'unanswered' questions, why don't you ask Apisphere?

Me too, but I don't want to see one in the hands of my mischevious neighbor kids who know that I go treasure hunting but are bratty little punks with no respect.
How does that differ from the bratty kids who have access to their dad's GPSr? Edited by sbell111

can we keep this thread on the topic of the requested feature? There's a topic in the regular forum section that's discussing the UNIT in question. Thanks. I'd be interested to see if any others would like a feature like this??

I think I was the first to suggest an Opt-Out feature in the "other" thread on the McGPS, and I'm still in favor of it. However, for those of us in the U.S. at least, the horse is already out of the barn, I'm afraid.

My guess, though, is that the contract between Groundspeak and the Geomate Jr folks regarding the update queries has already been established and that they would probably not be allowed to add such filtering at this time.

To those that want to continually cite the TOU... yes... Groundspeak has every legal right in the world to bite the hand that feeds them.

As for those who say that a PMO Cache shouldn't be inthis thing, and to use that as a method of Opting out...also note in the TOU that GS reserves the right to madify your Cache listings so they can change any Cache to Regular, or PMO as they see fit.

As for those who say that a PMO Cache shouldn't be inthis thing, and to use that as a method of Opting out...also note in the TOU that GS reserves the right to madify your Cache listings so they can change any Cache to Regular, or PMO as they see fit.
That's kind of paranoid, isn't it. Using the same logic, they could merely opt you back in if they wanted to so there is no reason for this 'feature request' to be granted.

A very thorough data query wouldn't take more that 15 or 20 minutes to construct and test (there just aren't that many variables that enter into it), and the run time take no developer time. You have a very skewed idea of what can be fixed on the site in 20 minutes.

I see you're a blackberry guy. Is there a version of trimble navigator for it? Or you could switch to an iphone and be able to pull all the local geocaches in most places (cell covereage/wifi access required). I don't find the gps in the iphone to be adequate, but I've got a 60csx for that. I've found the iphone geocaching app to be tremendously liberating - no need to worry about pulling adequate pq's before traveling is great. And you're not limited to the subset of caches on the geomate, and it knows which ones you've already found, and it knows which ones have been disabled or archived.

And that is a bad thing???????

Tongue-in-cheek. <_<

The bigger question is why are geocaches placed at McDonald's? :laughing:B)

And that is a bad thing???????

Tongue-in-cheek. <_<

Because that's where people go. People tend to place caches where they go. For some, that's the end of a really long and chiggery trail. For others, it's McDonalds.

Because that's where people go. People tend to place caches where they go. For some, that's the end of a really long and chiggery trail. For others, it's McDonalds.

But in reality the only people who would go to the dumpster in back of McDonalds are the McDonalds' employee whose job it is to take out the trash, the trash collector whose job it is to empty the dumpster, or somebody dumpster diving. The fact that there are caches hidden there must mean that some geocachers either work at one aforementioned jobs or they were looking for discarded Happy Meal toys to use as swag.

Edited by tozainamboku

Not that I care if my cache is or isn't on the device, but I agree folks should be able to opt out of the DB that geomate gets. I can see why some would be nervous about having their caches found by newbies. Making this too easy for them means they won't be likely to read how to play the game before buying the product.

Also, I don't want my cache on Magellan products. Have you seen the people who use those?

And on Garmin products, I only want those who own the H series purchased east of the Mississippi to be able to load any of my caches. :(:ph34r:

http://geomatejr.com/products

Please create a way for Cache hiders to "Opt Out" of having their Hidden Caches listed in this device, or even further, an option to "Opt Out" of having their Hidden Caches listed in any licensed database.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I expect to see the Geomate in the REDUCED BIN shortly.

i would like to know if any of my caches are on their list as well.

If i change to members only now, does that mean the coordinates are taken off the geomatejr? i doubt it.

The Garmin Nuvi invades us too. My caches showed up the first time one was booted up. Could someone see if mine are on it? I am in Central ohio. I may have one show up called Don't Bring A Flashlight.