Cub&Boy Scout's Geoschool

0newithwild

I helped set up a geocaching course for my sons cub scout group.

The first cache contained thin leather strips, the next had an assortment of feathers, 3rd contained small bells, 4th had beads. The 5th cache location contained mop handles that I had added a small groove about 3 inches from the end. The boys discovered that they were putting together walking sticks.The remaining 7 caches were all optional for the boys but since they knew that they would contain something unique to add to their stick, every boy completed all 12 caches over a 2 day camping trip.

The extra caches each contained items like whistles, colorful tacks with a hammer, an assortment of small bones, fake coins with holes punched in them. Near a shelter we added refreshments and also since there was electricity we let them do a little wood burning. We were afraid that the boys would use the sticks as weapons but each boy was very proud of their new walking stick and was very careful with it. 3 years later, I still see these walking stick on various hikes.

THE BOYS LOVE IT.

Luckycharmer, that is such an awesome idea! Chuck and I taught a class on geocaching at a Turkey Federation Women's Retreat and I wasn't near as imaginative. I'll just bet those boys had a great time caching!

Onewithwild, where do we send 'things' for your caches, are you on the address list?

Luckycharmer, that is such an awesome idea! Chuck and I taught a class on geocaching at a Turkey Federation Women's Retreat and I wasn't near as imaginative. I'll just bet those boys had a great time caching!

Onewithwild, where do we send 'things' for your caches, are you on the address list?

Just send me a message and ill send address to mail stuff too thanks

I'm setting up a geolearning class in late june for our local cub&boy scout's and ask if anyone would like to donate coins ,swag ,geostuff ,ext.no matter how large or small anything would be greatly appreciated ,Thanks

That is a good idea.

Who gets the coins?

Do all the scouts have accounts to activate them and move them?

Or do you want activated coins?

Or are you activating them?

Or are you giving the coins to them?

If you could be a little more specific. And I echo eartha here, Why do you need coins to teach? You should be asking for extra GPSs, LOL!!!!!

How are they finding the caches? With compass'?

Curious to see how it works out.

Opalsns

I'm setting up a geolearning class in late june for our local cub&boy scout's and ask if anyone would like to donate coins ,swag ,geostuff ,ext.no matter how large or small anything would be greatly appreciated ,Thanks

That is a good idea.

Who gets the coins?

If you could be a little more specific. And I echo eartha here, Why do you need coins to teach? You should be asking for extra GPSs, LOL!!!!!

Opalsns

I ask, because I've held a class or two myself in my local area, and got by with a slide show, and a talk, followed by question and answer, and then finding a cache hidden for the class, for hands on GPS use, using two or three GPS brought by myself and a couple others. The attendees seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. It wouldn't even have occurred to me to ask for donations for anything and the class was free to anyone. Who gets them? Are they being raffled? What are the donations for?

That is a good idea.

Who gets the coins?

Opalsns

I ask, because I've held a class or two myself in my local area, and got by with a slide show, and a talk, followed by question and answer, and then finding a cache hidden for the class, for hands on GPS use, using two or three GPS brought by myself and a couple others. The attendees seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. It wouldn't even have occurred to me to ask for donations for anything and the class was free to anyone. Who gets them? Are they being raffled? What are the donations for?

good question,, as theres not much info about what is going on with this,, i think if they added more info about what this is or going to be,, where, how ,,,why,, that sort of thing . we would be more inclined to donate to this cause. but as it stands theres really no effort put in the posting about how important this is to them. just my opinion.

The boys discovered that they were putting together walking sticks.

What a cool idea! Definitely need to tuck that one away for fall.

Onewithwild- I just did a presentation for the Cub/Boyscout Roundtable, have handouts for Geocaching 101 if you want them send me your email addy privatetly and will send a word file to you.

That is a good idea.

Who gets the coins?

Opalsns

the kids will be getting any of the coins or travel bugs{if any}as prizes, they will be opening own accounts with there family,or they will be activated under there troop# account as a scout group?either way the kids are getting any coins or travel bugs.we will have 2 days of cachingclass they will put out permnenant caches as a scout group with there own account.i have couple styles of gps's &{7}on hand for kids to use.i will be donating 2 for scout group to keep,i wish i could get every kid a gps but thats not needed and don't think it would be possible either,lol .

Edited by 0newithwild

That is a good idea.

Who gets the coins?

Opalsns

good question,, as theres not much info about what is going on with this,, i think if they added more info about what this is or going to be,, where, how ,,,why,, that sort of thing . we would be more inclined to donate to this cause. but as it stands theres really no effort put in the posting about how important this is to them. just my opinion.

i have had not that much time to post on here because i also coach little league right now & been busy.thats why im waiting till end of june for this class, when baseball will be almost over or over.i want kids to have the total geocaching experience.i could just show them my collection of coins but what fun would that be ,hope to get enough prizes so each scout gets there own if possible ,ive also donated 2 coin,s from my collection with the 2 gps's.we are open to idea's too.as i stated we will take any donations weither its ideas or items ext.,thanks

I'm just wondering why donations are needed to teach a class?

I was wondering the same thing. Why would people just learning about caching even know about or want a geocoin? Some of them would likely not even be interested in caching.

i just went to a mega event were my son recieved a coin from a cacher who was tossing them to kids under 15 years of age ,my son tought it was the coolest thing so did the other kids,weither not they will all activate there coins tomorrow or years down the road or as a scout group,they will treasure and remember those kinds of things.if i get one kid into caching for life hey then, i did my job.!anything we as cachers can do for kids is the most important thing ,what ever we receive or have ,we will work with what we get,remember most of these kids love the outdoors,thanks