Edit someone's log?

If you own a cache and one of the logs spoils where it is, can it be edited? For instance, this is what I mean: I hid a cache by bending a sapling and attaching a bison tube near the top, so the only way to retrieve it is to bend the sapling. In fact the name of my cache is "Bend Me." Most of the people got it after a bit and I left a hint which was 'the clue is the name.' So here is what one person logged: "I never would've spotted this one. XXXXXX found it with his eagle eyes. The bending clue is key here folks. Can't imagine why this location though......SL" I got kind of mad reading 'The bending clue is key here folks.' And I even got mad at the next sentence. I clearly stated in my description why I chose that location! What should I do? Thanks, Jagski

You can't edit the log, but you can send an email to them asking that they change it, and why. Be polite, and most people will be more than glad to change it. Many times theu don't see it from your point of view.

If they don't change it, and you still feel strongly about it, the only thing you can do is delete the log, which will also delete their find. Not something to do on a whim. Try the email first.

What should I do? Thanks, Jagski

Well, I recommend:

1. Take a deep breath.

2. If that doesn't help, drink something alcoholic.

If you feel strongly about the hint given in the log, send the logger an e-mail to remove or encrypt it. As for the second part, well, some people are just rude and / or clueless. It is their problem, not yours, don't waste your energy getting too worked up over it. They're not worth it.

You could also click the Permanently encrypt button. The log would still be there but encrypted so it will take a little more to see it.

And as time goes by their log will drop lower and lower on the list. Once its six deep most people won't see it.

But if the cache is very cleverly hidden with a moderate to high difficulty rating and spoilers ruin it for you... a nice request to modify, as stated above, and only as a last resort, hit the delete key. Deleting could lead to some unpleasant reactions so it should be thought through before hand.

I had a similar dilemma a bit ago where the first finder of a cache that I put a lot of time and energy into making what I thought a clever hide essentially posted a log detailing exactly where the cache was and how to retrieve it. Also his profile picture was changed to him holding the cache, essentially giving away the game. He encrypted the log with the spoiling bits but didnt realize that a lot of the paperless caching just decrypts logs... I sent him an email asking nicely that he change the log. Since it was a newly published cache I really didnt want to leave the log up there ruining it for the people who have cached the area dry and go after any published cache.

After asking here and getting a lot of strong opinions all in favor of the email asking change/delete route, I ended up deleting the log accompanied by both a note in the delete notification explaining the reasons for the deletion and asking him to relog and also a direct email explaining the reasons. He's a kid with only 8 (now 7) finds under his belt and I felt terrible but as soon as I deleted the log I felt so much better. I also went onto the cache page and wrote a note congratulating him on the FTF and urging him to relog the find.... Unfortunately he hasn't relogged (and i think that this is due probably to his very inactive participation rather than his young soul being crushed... or so I hope :) ) I would very much have preferred that he edit his log but I also feel good with the decision to maintain the integrity of the hide.

Anyway, the permanent encrypt won't hide the log from a lot of paperless methods and I'd say that it's your cache and you should have the right to delete logs that you feel negate the hard work you've done to place the cache in the first place. thats my take :D Hope you get it resolved!

Edit: clarity

Edited by mrbort

The guy just didn't like your cache surroundings.......and said so.

He didn't "run it down" or go on and on about what a sucky location it was.

He simply said he did not understand the choice of location.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. To this guy, your selection did not appeal and he made a gentle remark.

I say "gentle" , because that is how it seemed to me.

But to you it was obviously a huge affront.

Next time......build a nice, big Pile Of Sticks! :o:laughing::laughing:

Edited by chuckwagon101

If you own a cache and one of the logs spoils where it is, can it be edited? For instance, this is what I mean: I hid a cache by bending a sapling and attaching a bison tube near the top, so the only way to retrieve it is to bend the sapling. In fact the name of my cache is "Bend Me." Most of the people got it after a bit and I left a hint which was 'the clue is the name.' So here is what one person logged: "I never would've spotted this one. XXXXXX found it with his eagle eyes. The bending clue is key here folks. Can't imagine why this location though......SL" I got kind of mad reading 'The bending clue is key here folks.' And I even got mad at the next sentence. I clearly stated in my description why I chose that location! What should I do? Thanks, Jagski

You stated in your own hint 'the clue is the name'. This person basically wrote in the log the same thing. What's the difference? They did not give away any extra hints you had not given away yourself.

As for the location reference... just let it go. Try not to let the logs bother you so much as everyone has their own opinion.

[ You stated in your own hint 'the clue is the name'. This person basically wrote in the log the same thing. What's the difference? They did not give away any extra hints you had not given away yourself.

As for the location reference... just let it go. Try not to let the logs bother you so much as everyone has their own opinion.

Kudos to mfamilee! What a perfectly outstanding bit of advice!! Perfecto! :o