The right thing to do?

OKH

A few questions: Let's say a person has done some really great hides in your area. Is it, I don't know what the term would be, "giving props to drop a cool travel bug or geocoin into one of his caches or does it just not matter?

Lets just say I get to a cache and it's in need of maintenance that I can handle on the scene, say a ziplock for the log or a new log all together. Is it bad form for me to take it upon myself to repair the cache or should I just notify the owner of its needs?

Thanks in advance.

The cache owner may or may not notice that a particular TB or coin was dropped in the cache unless a log note stated it. Do you mean dropping it off in order to "gift" it to them??

Simple cache maintenance is always appreciated. If you add a log - make sure you tell the owner and offer to return the previous log to him/her (if you needed to take it). Small repairs, adding logsheets and the like are very kind gestures!!

The cache owner may or may not notice that a particular TB or coin was dropped in the cache unless a log note stated it. Do you mean dropping it off in order to "gift" it to them??

Simple cache maintenance is always appreciated. If you add a log - make sure you tell the owner and offer to return the previous log to him/her (if you needed to take it). Small repairs, adding logsheets and the like are very kind gestures!!

Thanks for your response. I was thinking more to drive traffic to his cache, I guess.

A few questions: Let's say a person has done some really great hides in your area. Is it, I don't know what the term would be, "giving props to drop a cool travel bug or geocoin into one of his caches or does it just not matter?

Lets just say I get to a cache and it's in need of maintenance that I can handle on the scene, say a ziplock for the log or a new log all together. Is it bad form for me to take it upon myself to repair the cache or should I just notify the owner of its needs?

Thanks in advance.

If someone has placed a cache that I think is a really enjoyable cache, I will reward the owner with a log entry that expresses my gratitude and appreciation. If I have a cool travel bug or geocoin, I will also drop that in the cache to encourage others to come and enjoy the cache, too.... if the cache is big enough to hold travelers.

As to your other question, most cache owners appreciate friendly cachers doing maintenance when it is needed and they are able.

Thanks in advance.

If someone has placed a cache that I think is a really enjoyable cache, I will reward the owner with a log entry that expresses my gratitude and appreciation. If I have a cool travel bug or geocoin, I will also drop that in the cache to encourage others to come and enjoy the cache, too.... if the cache is big enough to hold travelers.

As to your other question, most cache owners appreciate friendly cachers doing maintenance when it is needed and they are able.

Very cool, thank you :)

I normally keep a dry water botle full of cheap pens, a handfull of baggies, and some small logbooks in my Geobag. I have been known to cut down a pen so it will fit in a small or even a micro. I have also dried damp logbooks on my heater and placed them in baggies. I haven't needed to actually replace a log yet, but I'm ready if I need to. I figure the cache owner isn't the only person that will benefit from the maintenance, so will any Geocacher that finds the cache. Another item I have started leaving at caches are CITO kits. A couple of plastic grocery bags stuffed into pill bottles. I don't use them for trade, It's just kind of a hand out item. The best maintanence I could suggest though is when you trade, leave better than you take. If we all do this, when a muggle steals a cache, they might be overwhelmed by the glory of what they've found and become a Geocacher and bring back the cache. Oh, one more thing, I know Cache Owners love to get "props" online when you put effort into a log entry. Not everyone will see the actual cache, but the whole world can see the log from the comfort of thier own computer. Have a nice day!

I would assume most cache holders would appreciate some maintance if needed. I was out cacheing a few weeks back and came across a cache hidden, but still in the weather with the lid cracked so water would get in when it rained, so i used a Latex glove out of my firstaid kit to cover the container, looked kind of odd but at least it wold keep the rain.

Replacing a damaged log zip-lok bag is probably the most common "routine" maintenance I do for others' caches, and it is highly appreciated! I usually mention it in the log, but not for recognition. Others have replaced my log baggies, so I figure if we all replace them when needed, we all benefit. That's why I carry a thick bundle of various sizes in my backpack.