hiding a cache...

ok now i know you not alowed to hide a cache where the finder needs to dig it up ect however is it allowed to dig a hole for a cache, lets say a 10L tub, and have it so only the lid is above the ground with say logs ontop of it to hide it. when the cache is found the finder has to just remove the lid and not take the tub out of the ground.

is this allowed as the finder does not need to do any digging?

From the guidelines:

Caches that are buried.

If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Cache reviewers do read the forums, can you convince them that you haven't used "a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache"

Good Luck! :)

Interesting, we thought you weren't allowed to be required to dig to retrieve a cache, I didn't know you couldn't dig with a "pointy tool" to actually hide it. We've found plenty where a hole has specifically been dug to hide the cache, but can be retrieved quite easily.

Are hands a shovel, trowel or other pointy object? :)

Or could you, say, find a bigger hole and fill it in around the cache container?

I've wondered this myself.

what about a spoon :D

but on a serious not... why cant we hide caches in the ground?

Are hands a shovel, trowel or other pointy object? :D

Or could you, say, find a bigger hole and fill it in around the cache container?

I've wondered this myself.

what about a spoon :D

but on a serious not... why cant we hide caches in the ground?

Because your GPS will not pinpoint a precise spot and if the cache was buried you'd end up with an area of maybe 40ft radius pitted with lots of little holes in the ground as geocachers wandered around like demented terrier dogs frantically scrabbling to find the elusive plastic lunchbox. :D

This would not be an environmentally friendly scenario within a hobby where geocachers should be trying to make as little environmental impact as possible. :)

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

Because your GPS will not pinpoint a precise spot and if the cache was buried you'd end up with an area of maybe 40ft radius pitted with lots of little holes in the ground

The kind of thing I had in mind would not be completely buried. The main bulk of the container would be but the top would be visible (kind of :) ) . The cacher wouldn't have to dig at all to find it.

The kind of thing I had in mind would not be completely buried. The main bulk of the container would be but the top would be visible (kind of :) ) . The cacher wouldn't have to dig at all to find it.

yeah thats what i was on about, like a big tub where the lid is out the ground so only the lid comes off and the tub dont come out the ground

The problem with this idea is that even if no hole was dug in this case it can affect the actions of other people. If a new cacher comes along and sees this cache, they then rush off, and make one of their own by digging a hole. Similary new cachers who see this and get the idea that caches might be buried start taking a spade with them and every time they come across a difficult hide they get the spade out. Trying to get round the pointy tool rule ignores why it is there, there should be no expectation by anybody that a cache could be buried.

The problem with this idea is that even if no hole was dug in this case it can affect the actions of other people. If a new cacher comes along and sees this cache, they then rush off, and make one of their own by digging a hole. Similary new cachers who see this and get the idea that caches might be buried start taking a spade with them and every time they come across a difficult hide they get the spade out. Trying to get round the pointy tool rule ignores why it is there, there should be no expectation by anybody that a cache could be buried.

see thats the thing, im not talking about a compleatly buried cache, so there would be no need for the hunters to think they would need to dig it up. i understand what you are saying however i dont see how it would cause any problems if the cache was allowed to be partly below ground level.

Im not talking about covering a cache compleatly with dirt, i just cant see how if its partly (say 75%) under ground and the rest above ground with the lid removable above ground would cause a problem.

a final thought, whats the difference between finding a hole, putting a cache in it and covering it over with logs.... and putting a cache in the ground partly so only the lid is removable and covering it over with logs?

We have done a couple of buried caches in Belgum.... when we got there we found what looked like a ploughed field. Cachers had been there with spades etc to dig for the cache... It makes you realise why the rule is there... Long live the rule.... its not the hiding it's the finding that causes the damage...

ps one of them wasn't even hidden in the ploughed area.. it was several meters away under a tree...LOL

MaxKim

We have done a couple of buried caches in Belgum.... when we got there we found what looked like a ploughed field. Cachers had been there with spades etc to dig for the cache... It makes you realise why the rule is there... Long live the rule.... its not the hiding it's the finding that causes the damage...

ps one of them wasn't even hidden in the ploughed area.. it was several meters away under a tree...LOL

MaxKim

thats understandable from you saying a buried cache... however im talkin about only part burried and so no difference then hiding it under a rock.

the cache would still be found by moving somthing that was on top of it so no matter how much you dig for a cache thats not fully buried... u wont find it if its got somthing on top hence no a buried cache but a partly buried cache.

i think i might put a cache like it out one day but make it clear that only the lid is to be removed and no digging is required as after all like i said before its no difference then finding a hole and covering it up.

The one I envisage would actually look no different to an ordinary cache I've just hidden. You wouldn't be looking for a buried cache and you wouldn't need or think to dig for it and, given the right location, no hole would have been dug.

Actually, now I think of it, I've found one cache in a container that must have been buried. You didn't need to dig to get it and you didn't know it was buried when you were looking.

I know someone who hid a cache just as is being described in this thread. He buried a flower pot and put the cache box into the pot. He made a lid to cover the thing so all the finder had to do was lift the lid. He was very disappointed when it was closed down despite initially being approved. I think your idea is in the same vein so I'm sure the reviewers would look at it in the same way.

I wonder how long the 'pointy thing' rule has been there in that form?

There is a cache in my area which is still active after 5 years (hidden March 04) which is at ground level disguised with a realistic plastic plant. Lifting the plant reveals a container which is sitting in a slightly larger pot which is flush with the ground.

Another one we found recently is a small tree log, which when picked up had the cache fixed to the underside, dropping down into a recessed plastic pot.

I believe this rule is not 100% observed, just a little more than believing that every single cache has individual permission from the land owner concerned, be it private or publicly owned.

Every nano fixed to a street sign, micro in ivy, etc etc

Edited by careygang