Logging Archived or Disabled Caches

Recently the discussion came up about logging archived or disable caches.

Some folks felt that if the cache was found and the log was signed,

regardless of the status of the cache, it could legitimately be logged on the site.

I've searched the forums for this answer and don't seem to see anything

that pertains to this. My thought on this was that if I had archived or disabled

the cache, I didn't want people to go there until I could do owner maintenance

or remove or replace the cache.

Any ideas?

regardless of the status of the cache, it could legitimately be logged on the site.

that pertains to this. My thought on this was that if I had archived or disabled

Any ideas?

If a person finds the cache and is able to sign the log I have no problem with it. I have seem many occasions where someone had an old pocket query or went to find it right after it was disabled or archived and was able to located the cache. If you really don't want them to go look for it you would want to remove it. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it.

StaticTank

Any ideas?

There is at least one archived cache that is meant to be logged, the cache at frog central. My feeling is if I found the cache, signed the log then there is no reason not to log the find. If the owner did not want me to log a archived cached then the owner should pick up the geo-litter.

Jim

If you do decide to try and find an archived cache try emailing the CO asking permission to either adopt or remove any cache or geolitter that may be there. You should make the offer to return if possible whatever you find. If the CO has left the sport and does not respond within a reasonable time, check with the reviewer on how to proceed. A disabled cache may have an issue that the CO may fix within a set time frame (container replacement, road closed etc.)

You may have to ask the reviewer for permission to make a "final log" on an archived cache. In the "final log"

let everyone know, including the reviewer what you found and if you removed any geolitter.

I removed one of Oregon's few remaining "moving caches" at the request of a reviewer. I took the original logbook and attached a TB tag and named it "Hide & Seek Lives On". The ammobox was given to PabloMac since he was a previous finder. The original owner is long gone.

It it's still there, and the log is signable, it is fair game. Thee is a lot of geolitter out there.

The only reason that I can think of why I might discourage the practice of logging an archived or, to a lesser extent, a disabled cache is that the reason that a cache may be archived or disabled may be related to satisfy the request of a property owner or because the environment might be temporarily unsuitable for a safe search. There is a cache near me that is disabled for several month at a time during the winter (it's been around since 2002) because the gorge it's located in is unsafe (and, in fact, the trail is closed) from about the end of December to late April (it was just enabled a week or so ago).

I would strongly discourage anyone from searching a cache which had temporary property owner or safety issues and might even delete logs if someone ignored the disabled state in order to get a smiley.

It it's still there, and the log is signable, it is fair game. Thee is a lot of geolitter out there.

The only reason that I can think of why I might discourage the practice of logging an archived or, to a lesser extent, a disabled cache is that the reason that a cache may be archived or disabled may be related to satisfy the request of a property owner or because the environment might be temporarily unsuitable for a safe search. There is a cache near me that is disabled for several month at a time during the winter (it's been around since 2002) because the gorge it's located in is unsafe (and, in fact, the trail is closed) from about the end of December to late April (it was just enabled a week or so ago).

I would strongly discourage anyone from searching a cache which had temporary property owner or safety issues and might even delete logs if someone ignored the disabled state in order to get a smiley.

Point well taken. I was thinking more of the abandoned cache archived for a wet log type. Or stage 1 missing, stage 2 still in place, but the negligent owner never retrieved the cache. Found one with a week old GPX. It had been archived and 'removed' by the owner a few days prior to our find. Guessing it's probably still there. No property owner or safety problems.

Funny, I was having similar thoughts about the ethics of logging an archived cache - and was search the forums with the intent of starting a new thread/topic. Well here's my experience/question.

I was on a FTF dash, and whilst looking for a small container at GZ I first came across a film canister, opened it expecting FTF and the log sheet was full,l and dated back ages. I guessed it was the 'wrong' cache; one which I knew by its name was archived, so I signed it, replaced and went onto discover the true new cache around the other side of the hedge. Opened it and there was a virgin sheet of paper, signed and went home to log the FTF.

Dilemma - do I log the other one?

Not being sure of the etiquette, I emailed the owner of the original cache, and he quickly replied saying he thought the cache was lost, and was happy for me to log, as I had found the cache. Which I did. I have no problems with that - it was just a lucky smiley :( - perhaps making up for the DNFs where the cache had been muggled/was plain just not there. Some may consider it cheating, but nowhere near the logging caches you did not find.

As for disabled - as long as there is no safety issue - no problems, I disabled a multi due to incorrect coords at an intermediate point (wrong format) if some had 'solved' the issue I would have been happy to let them log.

If you find an archived cache in it's original location and sign the log then I say you have every right to log a "found it" online. But make it clear in your log exactly why you're doing it (found the cache and signed the log), maybe even trying to contact the owner first.

I do, however, have problem with "finding" caches that are part of a "retirement tour". The cache has been archived, but the original container and log book are wandering around from event to event. The owner allows people to sign the log and claim a find. There was at least one such cache at GWVII. Logging it would result in my stats showing a "find" in a part of the country where I've never been. I see this as lying to myself, something I try to avoid doing.

But, different people play the game in different ways :(

I've noticed a cacher who always logs caches after they have gone missing and are archived.

Always sayin' "Found it a while back and forgot to log it."

Once or twice............maybe.

This guy does it regularly!

Guess he figures no one can check the logs if it isn't there.