Good gps that's low cost but can download caches

I want to buy a GPS unit that is relatively low cost. My biggest priority is that I can plug it into my computer and download lat/longs for caches from www.geocaching.com. I was thinking about the Garmin eTrex Legend, but I can't find a solid answer on whether it will work with geocaching.com. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I want to buy a GPS unit that is relatively low cost. My biggest priority is that I can plug it into my computer and download lat/longs for caches from www.geocaching.com. I was thinking about the Garmin eTrex Legend, but I can't find a solid answer on whether it will work with geocaching.com. Does anyone have any recommendations?

The eTrex Legend (unless you are talking about the Legend HCx) is a discontinued model. For the same amount of money, you can get similar functionality but with a color screen and a high sensitivity receiver with eTrex Venture HC - it comes with a USB cable. You should be able to purchase one online for less than $150. It's not the only option, but I have been satisfied with the service that I have gotten from OffRoute.com

Edited by jmundinger

The eTrex Legend works fine with GC.com I'm assuming you are planning to buy one used - since as Jmundinger points out it is a discontinued model. I would say a target price would be $50-80 for a used eTrex Legend.

You can put caches on using the SendToGPS button (and either a serial or serial-to-USB cable). In addition you can use Mapsource or other software to manage GPX files and Pocket Queries and send them in bulk.

The caches will be loaded with the coordinates and GCXXXX name only. You don't get descriptions and other detailed info without going with a much more expensive/modern unit that supports 'paperless caching'.

That said - if you can afford the $150 price point the Venture HC is a much better option. It has a high sensitivity receiver which will serve you much better under tree cover.

If by "Etrex Legend" you are referring to the original blue model with black&white screen, I would recommend against it. In it's time it was an awesome machine, but compared to even a current base model, the old blue Legend has lousy signal holding performance, it will often lose it's lock when treking through heavily wooded areas ,etc..

The Venture HC is a "simpler" model, but is far-and-away a much better performer in holding a satellite signal than "old blue"!

Edited by NordicMan