Invisible Shield - Protection of Screen on GPS Unit

I have a Garmin 76CSx that I am thinking of using the invisible shield to protect the plastic face of the unit. How many of you use something to protect your unit? Is there any downside to using the "Invisible Shield" application? What are your thoughts?

I have a Garmin 76CSx that I am thinking of using the invisible shield to protect the plastic face of the unit. How many of you use something to protect your unit? Is there any downside to using the "Invisible Shield" application? What are your thoughts?

I have it on both of my GPSr units AND on my Blackberry. The Invisible Shield is awesome!

Just posted in another thread RE: the IS on the Oregon. I like it very much. It takes some adjustment of how you pan the screen and scroll certian pages however once I got past that it gave me lots of peace of mind regarding scratching and wear of the screen.

I personally don't see too much use on non-touch screen devices for screen protectors. I've had tons of cell phones, eTrex Legend, other devices that get run through the 'normal' wear and tear. They've never suffered excessive wear that I felt made them unusable. However that is a subjective viewpoint.

I got a Zaag on my Oregon and I recommend it!!!

The only thing that got me nervous is to think of a day I would be forced to remove it...

That thing look pretty well glue on the screen and I would pray not to damage it!!!

But like I say , as far as it stay on the screen it is pretty good!!!

Just posted in another thread RE: the IS on the Oregon. I like it very much. It takes some adjustment of how you pan the screen and scroll certian pages however once I got past that it gave me lots of peace of mind regarding scratching and wear of the screen.

I personally don't see too much use on non-touch screen devices for screen protectors. I've had tons of cell phones, eTrex Legend, other devices that get run through the 'normal' wear and tear. They've never suffered excessive wear that I felt made them unusable. However that is a subjective viewpoint.

Just how difficult is the Invisible Shield to remove if it has to be removed? Any thoughts?

When I removed mine from my Oregon, it peeled off with no problems. You just need to use a sharp edge to get the corner started. Didn't hurt my screen at all.

JetSkier

I read somewhere the recommendation of a little heat helping as well. And I do mean A LITTLE. I would think warming it up with a hair dryer, or 15 - 20 minutes out in the sun kind of heat.

When I removed mine from my Oregon, it peeled off with no problems. You just need to use a sharp edge to get the corner started. Didn't hurt my screen at all.

JetSkier

I read somewhere the recommendation of a little heat helping as well. And I do mean A LITTLE. I would think warming it up with a hair dryer, or 15 - 20 minutes out in the sun kind of heat.

Thanks very much for the input -- any other thoughts or issues that I should be aware of in terms of using the shield?

I made myself get into the habit of always pulling my finger across the screen to move the map versus pushing my finger where the slight tackiness of the ZAGG has a much greater impact. As long as I pull my finger I have no problems with the tackiness of the screen protector.

JetSkier

Thanks very much for the input -- any other thoughts or issues that I should be aware of in terms of using the shield?

Easiest way to install it without getting any bubbles under the screen is to do it under water. Your GPS is waterproof enough to withstand the few minutes that it will take to put it on.

I'd go for invisible shield also. I have one on my oregon 300, tomtom and digital camera. The thing is great and no bubbles after about 2 days. I even droped my oregon and had a little scratch on the shield. I don't know how but the scratch dissapeared after a few days.

Wouldn't buy anything else !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ARGUS.360

I just got one for my Colorado 400t. I thought it was pretty cheap (sarcasm) that only one shield came in the package. I made the mistake of putting a fingerprint on the protector and now have to look at it all the time. A replacement protector would have helped. Other than that, it works just fine. I would recommend it.

I'm gonna guess that you would be unable to remove the spray-on screen protector which wouldn't be as good as the sticky sheet.

It's not a "spray on screen protector". He's referring to the spray bottle of applicator fluid (slightly soapy water) that's included with the Invisible Shield. Using it does make the application easier. If you do use it, be sure to also spray your fingers with it.

But you can still get an air bubble using the spray. Installing it under water makes that almost impossible.

I hated the Invisi Shield. Come on, $12 for 1 clear static cling sticker and some spray? Its my own fault, I should have researched more.

What I am now using and love with all my hearts abilities is some WriteRight screen protectors I bought from Wal Mart for $6, 5 to a pack and they are large enough that I can cut 2 protectors from each sheet. They are MUCH smoother than InvisiPoo and a little bit clearer too. And with me being OCD, I can cut the protector to cover every single area of the screen, and if I ef up in the process, I can do another one and still have plenty to spare.

I would be the first to acknowledge that the invisible shield price seems a little expensive but if you don't want any scratches on your electronic gadget put the invisible on first. Another way to look at it is it increase the resale value of your gadget if you ever want to sell it without lots of scratches. I have one on my 76CSX gps, both my suunto watch faces, and one on my newly purchased ipod touch. Well worth the money IMHO.

We have the Zagg shield on all of our GPSrs. DeLORME PN-20, Garmin etrex and Nuvi 200.

If you order more than a single one then you can save up to 30% off. (We ordered with other family members for their devices.)

The part I like about these is that they are die cut so they fit exactly. Also, if you need to remove it to send a unit in for repair or something, Zagg will send you another shield free. Best of all, these do not start peeling off like other screen protectors.

Those cheaper WriteRight type screen protectors get damaged pretty quickly but they are much cheaper so it's no big deal to swap them. The I.S protectors have some kind of self-healing properties. If you scratch them with your fingernail you'll see the scratch disappear in a few hours or overnight. The difference between the two types becomes evident pretty quickly. I think the best advice is to just be sure to have something protecting your GPSr. What you decide on isn't as important.

I.S protectors have a lifetime gurantee though there's a shipping charge so it's not exactly a free replacement.

I hated the Invisi Shield. Come on, $12 for 1 clear static cling sticker and some spray? Its my own fault, I should have researched more.

What I am now using and love with all my hearts abilities is some WriteRight screen protectors I bought from Wal Mart for $6, 5 to a pack and they are large enough that I can cut 2 protectors from each sheet.

The reason they come 5 to a pack is because they don't last, and have to be replaced.

I put the Invisible Shield on my Oregon 400t and my Nikon 220. I really like the peace of mind know that I can't scratch them. I had a big air bubble when I installed the shield on the Oregon, just peeled it back sprayed more stuff on it and put it back on..no more bubble.

My Writerights are holding up really well so far. There are a few small scratches that are only noticeable when the unit is off, and this has been after about 3 months of use. For how much easier it is for me to drag my finger or stylus across the screen makes up a good part of my liking for these protectors, and also the fact I have enough to do my cell phone and mp3 player helps too.

What I am now using and love with all my hearts abilities is some WriteRight screen protectors I bought from Wal Mart for $6, 5 to a pack and they are large enough that I can cut 2 protectors from each sheet. They are MUCH smoother than InvisiPoo and a little bit clearer too. And with me being OCD, I can cut the protector to cover every single area of the screen, and if I ef up in the process, I can do another one and still have plenty to spare.

I thought about approaching the screen protector in the same way. I did read that Zagg stands by their product and the warranty (LIFETIME, of the device).

I figured, $13.00 and I'm good for the life of my unit. Should be no need to replace it, but if it does get a permanent scratch in the protector, if it lifts, delaminates, or is otherwise not right I can get a replacement.

I've used other brands on older Palm devices in the past and wasn't impressed (easily scratched, lifted easily, poor installation, etc..). Other than my own screw up (one tiny speck of dust) the Invisible Shield is perfectly in place and doing a great job for me.

So if you don't mind having the potential for recurring removal and reinstallation you can save a few bucks on the front end. I would rather bank on never needing to replace it - I've seen so many success stories on iPhones and other touch screen devices that I just couldn't go any other direction (a lot of these user stories were not just for the screen protector, but the full device cover and it's ability to keep their device in pristine condition without a bulky sleeve, cover or other pouch).

My only complaint so far with the Invisible Shield? The excessive packaging. It arrives in a padded bubble envelope in a large DVD case sized (a little bigger) cardboard box. That's a lot of waste and trash for something that could have gone in a standard letter envelope.