Shonky Logic Maps

The Penny_Drops

Hi I have a Garmin Vista HCX & a work mate recently advised me about the Shonky maps site.

It was explained to me that the download would include locations of caches all around Australia.

I do like to read the logs and would be interested in any feedback on this free download.

can you help? :)

Cheers

Mal.

We're retired, travel a lot and use the Garmin City Select maps. We'll upgrade to the Navigator series when ever we upgrade the GPSr. We have all of North America (we live there) on one chip and all of Europe (we visit once a year) on another chip. We've only been to Australia once before and are planning a trip to Tasmania in February. We couldn't justify the cost of the Garmin maps for Australia. When I spotted the Shonky maps I downloaded them. We won't be able to do turn by turn navigation like the City Select but we'll know where we are. We're already using them to learn where places are and to plot out caches.

Hi I have a Garmin Vista HCX & a work mate recently advised me about the Shonky maps site.

It was explained to me that the download would include locations of caches all around Australia.

I do like to read the logs and would be interested in any feedback on this free download.

can you help? :)

Cheers

Mal.

We're retired, travel a lot and use the Garmin City Select maps. We'll upgrade to the Navigator series when ever we upgrade the GPSr. We have all of North America (we live there) on one chip and all of Europe (we visit once a year) on another chip. We've only been to Australia once before and are planning a trip to Tasmania in February. We couldn't justify the cost of the Garmin maps for Australia. When I spotted the Shonky maps I downloaded them. We won't be able to do turn by turn navigation like the City Select but we'll know where we are. We're already using them to learn where places are and to plot out caches.

Have completed the download and it looks great on the PC, now to get it on to Rex.

I am playing withthe program right now and will post when I get it operating ... Or when I work it out.

Thanks for response, you will love Tassie and in Feb you can do the Cradle Mountain Hike, sleep under the stars tour it is amazing. might just be a couple of caches for you to discover!

Cheers

Mal.

The maps don't include cache data. You can add the cache waypoints to your GPSr in the usual way.

Another option which geospyder might be interested in as well is Open Street Maps.

There is a bit about installing to Garmin GPSrs in the last Geotalk Podcast. www.geotalkpodcast.com

They support routing.

Edited by Damo.

The maps don't include cache data. You can add the cache waypoints to your GPSr in the usual way.

Another option which geospyder might be interested in as well is Open Street Maps.

There is a bit about installing to Garmin GPSrs in the last Geotalk Podcast. www.geotalkpodcast.com

They support routing.

Thanks Damo, I took the chance and loaded the full Topograph maps on to my Garmin. 192 mb.

Still playing but I went out locally and grabbed a couple of caches last night. Map display with street names is much nicer on the main screen. (gimick) but I like it. Trip and waypoint manager allows me to preplan a trip and load all the caches along the way. Have to be happy with a free download and so far looks like it might be of some help.

Cheers

Mal.