Gulf Earthcaches

Carbon Hunter

I find the natural beauty of the Gulf region amazing. There is so much diversity and natural history in the area. This lends itself perfectly to EarthCaches.

for those of you that do not know what an Earthcache is - it is a virtual cache (so it will remain "maintained" if you are there or not) in which you need to learn something about the Earth at that point. See www.earthcache.org for a full breakdown.

I placed the first one in the UAE recently (just near Abu Dhabi). I also have one in Qatar and a number in Africa (over 30 hides in total). Cincol in Qatar also has a good number of Earthcaches logged already.

If anyone would like to place an earthcache - I'd be more than happy to assist them with the preparation and logging guidelines. All Earthcaches need to be approved by a dedicated geocacher at the Geological Society of America - and have guidelines to ensure that they are both earth related AND Educational.

Condier some of the following as potential sites:

• Caves
  • Folded rocks
  • Dunes
  • Erosion
  • Coastal features
  • Wind (aeolian) erosion
  • Sabkha
  • Fossils
  • Oil fields
  • Islands
  • Coral reefs
  • Minerals deposits
  • Continental drift
  • Canyons
  • Wadis
  • etc. etc.

I hope this inspires a few more earthcaches in the Gulf region - Cincol or I will be happy to help cachers anywhere.

I'd like to suggest Pink Rock as Earthcache, i think it has a kind of unique features and attribute that would qualify the Earthcache, but dont know how we are going to enter and what will be the characteristics that would comply the Earthcache.org guidelines. I think Carbon Hunter might help us here.

I'd like to suggest Pink Rock as Earthcache, i think it has a kind of unique features and attribute that would qualify the Earthcache, but dont know how we are going to enter and what will be the characteristics that would comply the Earthcache.org guidelines. I think Carbon Hunter might help us here.

Good idea - definitely some good Earthcache potential there.

I will be more than happy to help.

I'll mail you a template for a word document. And we can have a crack at getting your first Earthcache logged

The new Earthcache submission form is now up and running. You just have to submit EarthCaches via the normal geocaching.com process - no longer a seperate form.

I added 3 new Gulf caches for you guys this morning.

This should help to get our first "homegrown" EarthCache BRONZE Masters cacher here in the Gulf?

Or has Qatar already gotten there with all the Earthcaches there?

I would really love to post some earthcaches but I am not sure where to look for them while researching on Internet for a particular area/country. The only way I see is if you stumble upon something while visiting that place. Would appreciate any pointers that can help in discovering local earth cache potential ?

Leosoul

I would really love to post some earthcaches but I am not sure where to look for them while researching on Internet for a particular area/country. The only way I see is if you stumble upon something while visiting that place. Would appreciate any pointers that can help in discovering local earth cache potential ?

Leosoul

The Middle East in literally TEAMING with EarthCache potential. I think the reason why there are so few is the time and effort involved in developing them. I have a good few lined up that I would like to get published, but quite frankly time is the issue here. However, watch this space during the summer when I will have some time to get down to doing the publishing! :ph34r:

Leosoul

The Middle East in literally TEAMING with EarthCache potential. I think the reason why there are so few is the time and effort involved in developing them. I have a good few lined up that I would like to get published, but quite frankly time is the issue here. However, watch this space during the summer when I will have some time to get down to doing the publishing! :ph34r:

Hi Cincol.....I guess I'm misunderstood :ph34r:

I am looking to find some geological aspects of UAE and publish them as earthcaches. Do you know any book or Internet reference from where I can take hints about the potential places. I have the time to research and visit them.

Leosoul

Hi Cincol.....I guess I'm misunderstood :)

I am looking to find some geological aspects of UAE and publish them as earthcaches. Do you know any book or Internet reference from where I can take hints about the potential places. I have the time to research and visit them.

Leosoul

Give Carbon Hunter a shout in AUH - I am sure he will give you all the assistance that you need - and then there will be some more EC's around the UAE for me to find next time I am there! :):anicute::huh::):)

The Middle East in literally TEAMING with EarthCache potential. I think the reason why there are so few is the time and effort involved in developing them. I have a good few lined up that I would like to get published, but quite frankly time is the issue here. However, watch this space during the summer when I will have some time to get down to doing the publishing! :smile:

Aww, not before summer? :)

Have to agree though: Where to get the time from. We visited a potential site on the other side of Qatar 3 times, still need to read quite a bit of literature (and get it in the first place), find time to write the text and turn it into something readable next to a full-time job. B)

The Middle East in literally TEAMING with EarthCache potential. I think the reason why there are so few is the time and effort involved in developing them. I have a good few lined up that I would like to get published, but quite frankly time is the issue here. However, watch this space during the summer when I will have some time to get down to doing the publishing! :lol:

Aww, not before summer? :huh:

Have to agree though: Where to get the time from. We visited a potential site on the other side of Qatar 3 times, still need to read quite a bit of literature (and get it in the first place), find time to write the text and turn it into something readable next to a full-time job. :)

Great work Terratin - love the experimental part of teh Got Vinegar cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3240d0fa-5e0c-4f56-9fb5-463f95450ed1).

Also looking at when I can plan a trip to the Lusail copper Mine up in Oman - (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=64d31d38-1dd1-4430-8ad0-fef82c13b027) - also a great spot - well done camel master & mistress

Great work Terratin - love the experimental part of teh Got Vinegar cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3240d0fa-5e0c-4f56-9fb5-463f95450ed1).

LOL! We shamelessly wanted to plug our latest cache here and found out we're too late :)

Lets hope the experiment works at other people's places as well. I'll try to take a microscope photo at work. Then we can give a link to that photo and some explanation to people logging the cache.

At LAST an EarthCache for me to go look for in the next 2 weeks. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: 1 step closer to the Platinum! :lol:

*giggles* We only need four more now. Looks like you'll be there quicker... unless someone places a few more here, in Bahrain and in Saudi close to the border. :huh:

Nothing goes unnoticed here...Mrs. Terratin has been busy and made a nice one (i think, but i am not quite unbiased...)

1 step closer to the Platinum! :)

Yes :huh: But then again, there's still ample reason to travel to another place for your last earthcache find...unless Mrs. Terratin manages to do another one here...

*giggles* We only need four more now. Looks like you'll be there quicker... unless someone places a few more here, in Bahrain and in Saudi close to the border. :P

\

There is still one more in Qatar that you have not done yet - Khor Al Udeid / Inland Sea. Hopefully I will have a couple more developed in the next few months so perhaps you can still get your 4 all in Qatar!

*giggles* We only need four more now. Looks like you'll be there quicker... unless someone places a few more here, in Bahrain and in Saudi close to the border. :laughing:

\

There is still one more in Qatar that you have not done yet - Khor Al Udeid / Inland Sea. Hopefully I will have a couple more developed in the next few months so perhaps you can still get your 4 all in Qatar!

I know. We haven't been there yet as we try to be careful with our car as we want to sell it again before we leave. But we noticed there's one in Bahrain after all, covered by another cache on the map. :P

I know. We haven't been there yet as we try to be careful with our car as we want to sell it again before we leave. But we noticed there's one in Bahrain after all, covered by another cache on the map. ;)

I can assure you that by doing the Khor Al Udeid EarthCache the value of your car will not be affected at all - unless you are driving a sedan that is. Alternatively, give me a ring and I would be more than happy to take you there in my car - and you can do the other caches in the area at the same time. BTW, we are planning an Event there in the next few weeks - a nice picnic and a swim!

Well done to Cincool for becoming the Middle East's FIRST Platinum EarthCacher.

Beaten in a sprint to the line :)

It is a pity that the majority of them at in countries away from here! I just wish that we had more "local" EarthCaches that we could visit.

Well done to Cincool for becoming the Middle East's FIRST Platinum EarthCacher.

Beaten in a sprint to the line ;)

It is a pity that the majority of them at in countries away from here! I just wish that we had more "local" EarthCaches that we could visit.

Seconded and agreed - passed unanimously.

I really look forward to more local EC's/

I see Camel Master, bestvue and terratin have started.

Hopefully lots more to come.

We're gone, but have not forgotten...

Last week i finally finished a Wind (aeolian) erosion EC in Qatar: Desert pavement and ventifacts.

Of course -as expected- Cincol logged it already :laughing: Well done and thanks for the pictures!

We still have a third EC for Qatar in mind, but with the new language rule "All notes must be submitted in the local language", we probably won't finish it.

Enjoy this new EC,

Mr. Terratin

We're gone, but have not forgotten...

Last week i finally finished a Wind (aeolian) erosion EC in Qatar: Desert pavement and ventifacts.

Of course -as expected- Cincol logged it already :laughing: Well done and thanks for the pictures!

We still have a third EC for Qatar in mind, but with the new language rule "All notes must be submitted in the local language", we probably won't finish it.

Enjoy this new EC,

Mr. Terratin

PLEASE submit the EC as is. I am willing to put money on it that this "new" requirement will not fly. :laughing: In any case, how many Arabic speaking reviewers are there? Furthermore I doubt that geoaware [master reviewer] is fluent in Arabic either. That said, if you need it translated on their insistence then send it to me and I will have it done for you!

Yep - on the ,local language issue - submit it. My understanding from one of the reviewers is that "local" language is the predominant language that caches are placed in - so here in the Gulf - that would be english.

Do not stop it - or your Sri Lankan one.

The Sri Lankan one is off completely; it was supposed to be about a blowhole, but i cannot find enough literature on this subject to make a more or less decent EC out of it.

The one for Qatar, that's Mrs. Terratin and (way!) beyond my geological knowledge. If she finds the time to focus on that one again, i guess it'll be no sooner than somewhere next year.

Mr. Terratin (who just realised it's still summer but seriously considers getting a pullover...)