Buying coins/Selling coins - Look them over

tsunrisebey

Take this for what it's worth. I got an email from a person who has been a customer of mine and it just got me to thinking that maybe this needs to be addressed here. I'm sure it's not the first time something like this has happened.

*When you buy a coin from a vendor, take the coin out and look it over. Make sure the coin isn't missing enamel or has some other defect on it. Do this within a day or two of buying the coins. Most vendors will work with you on replacing a defective coin and most have a return policy in place (something like 7 days).

Checking your coins promptly is your responsibility, if there is something wrong please report it to the appropriate vendor. This means taking them out of the flips and giving them a quick "once over".

Now here is where the issue comes in; once coins are accepted by the buyer and the return policy lapses (without an notification of a problem), then the return policy is null and void. The nature of coins is that they are handled/fondled or whatever quite frequently unless they go straight to a coin binder. You get the idea here?

If you buy a coin on ebay or you trade for a coin, it is no longer the vendors responsibility. I have received a few emails over the months after an initial design sale has been over for months asking me to replace a coin that someone bought via ebay or got through a trade and they noticed something wrong with the coin. Ebay has a seller protection policy in place and you should use that and whoever you trade with should be the one you work out the issue with. A vendor doesn't control what happens to a coin after it has been mailed.

Coins have and will continue to be damaged in the mail or maybe a defective coin slips through the cracks in the initial sale, you as the buyer should be checking your merchandise to make sure there isn't a major problem with your coins after shipment. If there is don't be shy, get in touch with the vendor and they will replace your item or issue a refund (a trustworthy vendor would do this).

If you are going to sell a coin on ebay, make sure you're honest in your description and make sure you look your coins over before you sell them. I got an email today from someone who bought a coin via ebay and when she got her coin she said a piece of enamel was missing and asked me if I could replace it (I was not the ebay seller). While I would love to help this person out, I don't want to be responsible for anyone else's ebay sales and this is no reflection on her either. Unfortunately this is not the first time I have been contacted about something like this; someone sells a coin on ebay or gets a a trade, something is wrong with the coin and they contact me (and I'm talking a design that is over a year old). Hard to believe but it's true.

So check your coins when you get them and do it promptly. Don't be shy about getting in touch with the vendor if you see enamel or a gem missing. If you buy a coin from an ebayer or you trade with someone, you go to that person and work it out because who knows what the handling of the coin has been between the time to coin was originally sold up to the point you got it.

tsun

I thought most of what you said was a "Given." I can say I don't always check my coins but I would no way hold the vendor responsible for my ignorance.

I find it strange people would contact YOU, or expect YOU, to rectify an issue with a coin obtained through a trade or purchase from someone other than you.

I had an issue with a coin I sold on ebay...it had a small blemish on it, which I failed to see at the time. The coin was returned and I offered a full refund.

I sold a Tsun geocoin on ebay. I didn't notice that enamel was missing. However, when the person directed me to the problem, I refunded the price of the coin. So if the coin was one that I sold, I think it is below the belt that they would contact you for another coin after I refunded the purchase price.

I sold a Tsun geocoin on ebay. I didn't notice that enamel was missing. However, when the person directed me to the problem, I refunded the price of the coin. So if the coin was one that I sold, I think it is below the belt that they would contact you for another coin after I refunded the purchase price.

This is why I didn't name names.... or coins. It was meant to be a general statement to get people to look closely at their purchases as soon as they get them so coins can get replaced if need be. I'm not the ebay police and I have no desire to be B) The buyer didn't even tell me the name of the seller nor had they contacted the seller prior to contacting me. Shoot my original post could apply 25 people here and I would have no idea who.

No Sacred Bear coins for you Andrea :P:)

Bah, just play around with 'em Tsun! Offer to take the coin back and refund the original purchase price...but then conveniently send them some important information that "has been recently added on Page 438 of the 2009 Official Geocoin Pricing Guide". B)

Article 59-3: ENAMEL VARIATIONS/EXTREME RARITY

Upon discovery and authentication, the manufacturer shall be permitted to officially classify said geocoin

as an ULTRA RARE TRIPLE XLE ARTIST EDITION MINT ERROR VARIANT. This is the rarest classification

for any geocoin, and requires the following to certify its authenticity:

1. Notarized statement by Sotheby's

2. Molecular testing

3. A video-recorded verbal appraisal by a street mime

After securing the proper documentation, the owner of this extremely rare item should expect

to see an increase in value TEN TIMES the amount originally purchased for.

:)

This is why I didn't name names.... or coins. It was meant to be a general statement to get people to look closely at their purchases as soon as they get them so coins can get replaced if need be. I'm not the ebay police and I have no desire to be B) The buyer didn't even tell me the name of the seller nor had they contacted the seller prior to contacting me. Shoot my original post could apply 25 people here and I would have no idea who.

No Sacred Bear coins for you Andrea :P:)

After receiving your email, it wasn't me. So now can I have my sacred bears?

Bah, just play around with 'em Tsun! Offer to take the coin back and refund the original purchase price...but then conveniently send them some important information that "has been recently added on Page 438 of the 2009 Official Geocoin Pricing Guide". B)

Article 59-3: ENAMEL VARIATIONS/EXTREME RARITY

Upon discovery and authentication, the manufacturer shall be permitted to officially classify said geocoin

as an ULTRA RARE TRIPLE XLE ARTIST EDITION MINT ERROR VARIANT. This is the rarest classification

for any geocoin, and requires the following to certify its authenticity:

1. Notarized statement by Sotheby's

2. Molecular testing

3. A video-recorded verbal appraisal by a street mime

After securing the proper documentation, the owner of this extremely rare item should expect

to see an increase in value TEN TIMES the amount originally purchased for.

:)

Holy S*^% LMAO!!!!

Funny how geocoins with errors aren't like currency with errors. Double struck US coins can sell for thousands of dollars, but with a geocoin missing enamel it's a problem? One of my favorite coins is my Fox and Hound, the first one that had a lot of enamel problems. They offered to let people exchange them for coins with correct enamel, but I kept the original.

While I agree with the OP's initial argument... buyers check your stuff... I don't see how the vendour is responsible for manufacturing defects months after the sale. I mean we're talking cheap trinkets from China, for crying out loud not cheap but overpriced manufactured goods from Detroit or Taiwan. :)

Do lemon laws really apply to geocoins??? Are there implied warranties and guarantees in the sale of geocoins? If so where? Do artists who work directly with mints to keep costs down and their own returns up have to incur extra costs for liability and malpractise insurance??? :D

Finally I'd like to tip my hat to those ebay sellers who are willing to return $$$ when buyer is not completely satisfied with the shipped product. It's THEIR auction, their item being sold and their rep on the line.... not the original vendour's or even manufacturer. Kudos to ya for keeping it real and honourable. :D

I pretty much agree with the original post. An ebay sale is between me and the buyer or if I bought something between me and the seller. I haven't been contacted about anything I have sold except for two coins that were activated. I had made a trade and the trader inadvertantly sent me their personal collection coin rather than an unactivated coin. It was fixed and the buyer was very happy. I also sent out one I got from a vendor without checking the code. It ended up that two coins had the same tracking code and the other one was activated. Because I got it directly from the vendor I didn't think to check that one. I learned from these experiences to always check to see if it was activated prior to sending them out no matter where I got the coin. Mistakes happen but the buyer should always contact the seller first and let the seller deal with any problem as Ladebear68 stated above.

:) Thanks tsun for a great post, we should all learn from it and always check those coins! I also agree with the others on this matter, I sell/buy coins on ebay too. I'll do whatever it takes to please my buyer, replace or refund without question and wouldn't run business any other way. Geocoins are minted by the hundreds/thousands and the way I see it there's bound to be some that are imperfect & the seller should be the first one to be contacted never a vendor.

WOW! Surely a great post Tsun!

It seems that the majority of the geocoin collectors do not "like" the error coins!

WHY? an error makes a coin unique! I love errors! you can have the normal one and the error to show the differencies and what makes the error coin unique!

I have said these things before! I can understand that just becasue geocoins are not real coins but small pieces of art, we want them to be perfect! But... aren't geocoins a kind of symbolic items? an error coin is still a coin! A coin that has a problem, big or small, is not ugly and useless, it is unique and has its own special beauty! :)

I have an error coin, which I won it in a cointest! It was mentioned that the coin was an error one, and I was so thrilled about it!!! Right now it has a special place in my collection and I love it so much!!! :D

So if you do not want you r error coins, instead of throwing them away or what ever, you can donate them to me! I will make the first geocoin orphanage! :D

Just not to be missunderstood.... I am kiding!!! :D

Edited by GATOULIS