Scooter Caching

Well about 2 months ago I picked up a Used scooter to go and scoot around with my Dad who picked up a scooter last year. I have since added a couple of upgrades to my scooter for purpose of caching. I added mounts for my Nuvi as Well as my GPSMAP 60. We My Dad(HBO518) and I have now gone out three times caching with the scooters and I have to say that this adds a lot of fun to an already fun hobby. So are there any other SCOOT Cachers out there?

Here is my Ride and GPS Setup.

111128984.jpg

112640235.jpg

We live in the Puget Sound Region of Washington State. We have a Honda Big Ruckus 250. We love to trailer it up to Whidbey Island and stay at Deception Pass State Park and ride the scooter around geocaching. We are getting some good wx again and I need to air up the tires and ride the scooter geocaching. Dick W7WT Bremerton, WA

Oh crud, I thought you meant one of these, below. Although I never have, I swear I'm going to grab one of the 4 or 5 my two children own, and do it someday. :)

I'll tow you behind one of mine. If you want to go to Rochester we'll use the 650.I wounder how the bearings in those little wheels will do at highway speeds?

In Guatemala, I was responsible for visiting and recording the coordinates of all of the Habitat for Humanity houses built in the country since 2005 (around 6000). I visited them all on a motorcycle (only 200CC so not a lot more powerful than the scooter) and it was a LOT of fun... I have been tempted to pick up a bike here in the states but I'm worried that it's TOO fun. I would love to cache on a scooter and if where I'm staying at the moment was amenable (as far as terrain and distance) to the scooter, I'd pick one up in a flash :)

As soon as I get a handlebar mount for my PN-40, I'll be able to use my motorcycle for caching. Used to have a scoote, a 2005 Piaggion BV200, but upgraded to the motorcycle (1984 honda Magna V65, go to my profile for a picture of it) about the time I really started caching. I've actually done a lot of my caching from my bicycle, actually, it's a great way to cache! Plus, once you find the cache, just sit down with it next to your bike, and people will think you're just resting!

In Guatemala, I was responsible for visiting and recording the coordinates of all of the Habitat for Humanity houses built in the country since 2005 (around 6000). I visited them all on a motorcycle (only 200CC so not a lot more powerful than the scooter) and it was a LOT of fun...

:)

Wow! I mean, WOW! How did you get that gig, and where do I sign up?

Jamie

In Guatemala, I was responsible for visiting and recording the coordinates of all of the Habitat for Humanity houses built in the country since 2005 (around 6000). I visited them all on a motorcycle (only 200CC so not a lot more powerful than the scooter) and it was a LOT of fun...

:)

Wow! I mean, WOW! How did you get that gig, and where do I sign up?

Jamie

:D it was sort of a once in a lifetime opportunity that fell into my lap. After finishing grad school (in geophysics, especially using GPS), I decided to go down there for a short while (a few months) to really make the leap from broken to fluent Spanish. Then I loved it so much I decided to stay. Astoundingly just at the time I made that decision and was exploring for NGO type opportunities, this position was created as part of a pilot project. We're in the data crunching and software stages now so I'm not scheduled to go back down for a little while but I think if it's successful, it might be something that happens in other national habitat chapters....

For me it was being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people.... I really have no idea if they're going to continue the project in other countries but it wouldn't hurt to email other national offices and see if they have anything like that in the works (worst thing they can say is no!)

I have a diesel pick up I use and at 12 to 14 MPG I really need to go another way. This maybe my answer to warm weather caching at least.

Well that is one part I really like about the scooter. 71mpg can not complain one bit about that.

These are our 'girls' (Gracie and Betty Lou)......They recently carried us on a 1300 mile trip across Texas and back to do some caching. We have a little hard time being stealth on them but it is the best way to go!!

Mrs. Bikercache :(

o7525f.jpg

2vtuomt.jpg

Tell me about it, trying to be stealthy on a bike towing a trailer. Everyone looks at you when you pull up either with envy or with a degree of apparent distrust.

And Gryffyth, its an 07 1600 FI.

Cheers

Bundy

Geocaching on the motorcycle combines two of my favorite activities. The only way to make it even better is to load up the SCUBA gear on the bike, and do a dive while out geocaching. Those underwater caches are few and far between!!! DNF for the only one I have actually gone for.

:(:o:DB)

We did our first GC on our bikes today. AWESOME! I ride a Dual Sport bike and my H a Gold Wing. We are pretty stealth and my bike LOVES the dirt and gravel (the GW isn't too bad either on the stuff!). Discovered some wonderful roads and caches today and we are looking forward to many more!

545846153_4hon3-M.jpg

It does have the same size engine as you would find in a smaller scooter, but it's definitely not a scooter...

3091_1136003354271_1052950051_30407143_5725984_n.jpg

I rode it to the cache I found today, since my car gets around 12-15 MPG in the city...

It's got a 50cc 2-stroke engine, with a current top speed of almost 35mph... Gets at least 100mpg.

It does have the same size engine as you would find in a smaller scooter, but it's definitely not a scooter...

I rode it to the cache I found today, since my car gets around 12-15 MPG in the city...

It's got a 50cc 2-stroke engine, with a current top speed of almost 35mph... Gets at least 100mpg.

How cool is that?!! I bet you had a GREAT time too...especially knowing you were getting 100 mpg!!

Be careful where you ride that. Many bike paths are off limits to motor vehicles and that will fit into the description of motor vehicle. Not trying to be contrary but I know of a cacher who ran into a bit of trouble with one similar. He was given a "warning" at an event.

I have a 300cc scooter that I've used a few times caching but I don't have a mount yet for it to hold my GPS. Working on finding a mount that will work and then I'll use it more.

Ram Mounting Systems makes mounts for just about any sort of electronics. I use their mounts both in my truck and on my bike for several GPSr's.

Express Mounts carries just about all of Ram's stuff. I've ordered from them before and gotten good, fast service. (Nope, I don't work for them)

-Gryffyth

Edited by Gryffyth